Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2012, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict

Dredd tonight for the third and final time before it closes at my local cineworld. It's been fun. The build up was amazing, the hype was high and the pay off was pure, fan pleasing joy. But it's bombed. I've put forward £15 into the world wide kitty, but to no availe. Mr. Urban. Mrs. Thrilby. I salute you for your contribution to the 2000AD fandom (and the line that launched 1000 fan fictions) and your amazing grip on the difficult chracter's that where handed to you. It is sad indeed that we will never see a follow up to this masterpiece.

DVD and BD collection
Old 4th October 2012, 05:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
The Italian DVD from Raro is the one to go for because it isn't a bastardised version like the Shriek Show one. The latter DVD also features a sequence with an audio problem as well I believe.
Apparently Raro are doing a new US edition. It's been listed on DVDAF for ages but, like many of the films listed on there as coming soon, it may just be wishful thinking on the part of someone. (Look how many things are listed as 'coming soon' but have never been released)

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 4th October 2012, 05:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Dredd tonight for the third and final time before it closes at my local cineworld. It's been fun. The build up was amazing, the hype was high and the pay off was pure, fan pleasing joy. But it's bombed. I've put forward £15 into the world wide kitty, but to no availe. Mr. Urban. Mrs. Thrilby. I salute you for your contribution to the 2000AD fandom (and the line that launched 1000 fan fictions) and your amazing grip on the difficult chracter's that where handed to you. It is sad indeed that we will never see a follow up to this masterpiece.
It really is a shame as it is a great film and the only lesson likely to be learned is that studios shouldn't take risks on films like this (r-rated action). It wasn't actually put out by one of the majors was it? Hopefully it'll find more of a following on DVD and bluray as i'd love to see a sequel.

Got to admit I genuinely think it would have done better had it not been in 3D. I really think a lot of people are turned off by that format now.

What was the fanfiction-inspiring line by the way?
Old 4th October 2012, 05:47 PM
Cult Addict

Hopefully, I have my Double Play pre-order in already on amazon (well, a notification anyway) and with a bit of luck we may get the possibility of a TV series (Garland has approached BBC and Channel 4 about prodcasting it, so if it's the latter where still liable to have a fair bit of late night gore). The 3D was spectaculare, but one does have to question how much it affected sale's.

Oh, don't worry, i'll PM you some. THEN you'll know. Dredd won't be needing the cod piece in them.

DVD and BD collection
Old 4th October 2012, 06:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

V/H/S...I don't have time to write a lengthy exposition but I will say that I'm not particularly fond of found footage films beyond a select few. With that being said, I checked my brain at the door and had fun with this one. There are certainly issues with it. For example, the wraparound story was weakly developed and lacked focus. Even with it's flaws, I think it earns a recommendation for watching at least once. Just bring something to cure a headache because "shaky-cam" is in full effect here.
Old 4th October 2012, 06:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The third film in the Tetsuo series has kept a low profile since 2009 and while it's not as transgressive as the first two films Bullet Man is sufficiently abrasive and hyperkinetic to please fans of the series. Well worth seeing...

Old 4th October 2012, 06:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Most of the HK films I've seen have mainly been Shaw Bros. stuff, so anything non-Shaw is probably going to be something I haven't seen!
I'll try to send you a couple Lovefilm titles/ Youtube links of non-Shaw films then.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:04 PM
Active Cultist

I was really surprised with Tetsuo 3. When I saw the trailer I was worried, cos it looked naff, but I was pleasantly chuffed that the movie is really good. Huge fan of all most of Shinya's work.

I watched the Korean movie 'Mother' the other night. Was bit of a chore. Considering it's by the guy that directed the 'Host' I was a bit miffed by it.
Old 4th October 2012, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy what have you seen recently

been plundering the bargain bins at Morrisons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_399201_e9a26a26.jpg (35.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg l_970452_08459e9e.jpg (40.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg lucky-number-slevin.jpg (64.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg transporter_three_ver2.jpg (56.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th October 2012, 07:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
been plundering the bargain bins at Morrisons
Lucky you! They've given my local Morrisons a makeover taking away the blooming bargain bins leaving only the chart stuff

Like this? Share it using the links below!