Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179894Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2013, 08:49 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I forgot that I saw ON THE ROAD last night. I think that says it all.
Old 26th August 2013, 08:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Campsite Massacre - In truth, the picture quality on this DVD spoiled my enjoyment of it to an extent - yes, it's 'digitally remastered' in the Vipco sense!! Picture quality doesn't tend to bother me that much (unless it's a BD or expensive DVD) and, to be fair, I was expecting it to be bad but a lot of the action takes place at night and some of the darker scenes were quite difficult to make out. Nevertheless, this is a fairly standard early 80s slasher and, whilst it's not a shining example of the genre, I've seen a lost worse! Lacks a bit in the gore department but, when it comes, it's done quite well. Also notable for an early appearance from Darryl Hannah (and one she probably scrubbed from her CV).

Boardinghouse - even within the context of all the other random crap I watch, this is one crazy film!! The 'plot' roughly goes like this ... bachelor with telekinetic abilities inherits a house where lots of bad things have happened and decides to turn it into a boardinghouse, although, from the advert, he clearly has a certain criteria for his tenants (ie. if you're, young, female and beautiful, contact Jim!!). Despite Jim's transparent lecherous intentions, beautiful women soon start to arrive (a bit like 'Field of Dreams' really) and bad stuff starts happening again. To go into any further detail would spoil the fun but, suffice to say, this isn't a 'good' film in the traditional sense but it's an absolute blast! Slasher Video have produced what must surely be the ultimate presentation of the film and there are loads of extras I've yet to work my way through, including a 2.5hr director's cut . Recommended.
Old 26th August 2013, 09:11 PM
Cult Addict

Beyond the black rainbow.

I can understand why some people hate this. Very much style over substance it seems to be trying to make statements on cold war america and regan. That said in terms of style it looks stunning and the moody score gives it real atmosphete.i cant promise you will like this film but its worth giving it a try. Make sure you watch it on blu-ray though. Unfortunately the disc is region locked.
Old 26th August 2013, 11:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Damn, if a movie looks like a duck, sounds like a duck then it's probably Argento's Dracula.
I would have gone with Fulci's New York Ripper myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

I can understand why some people hate this. Very much style over substance it seems to be trying to make statements on cold war america and regan. That said in terms of style it looks stunning and the moody score gives it real atmosphete.i cant promise you will like this film but its worth giving it a try. Make sure you watch it on blu-ray though. Unfortunately the disc is region locked.
I absolutely loved this. One of my all time favourites of the current decade.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict

The Evil Dead remake. Nasty little film that I quite enjoyed. Maybe a little more depth to the characters but I liked the fact that they weren't your typical horror movie fodder and were actually out in the cabin for a more mature focused purpose. Has anyone watched to the end of the credits? It's nothing special but Bruce gets a very very brief look in. Not sure if it means anything.
dis and trebor8273 like this.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

I loved 'Beyond the Black Rainbow'.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th August 2013, 06:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I forgot that I saw ON THE ROAD last night. I think that says it all.
Damn, I'm a big Kerouac guy and I had high hopes for this one...
Old 27th August 2013, 07:32 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I loved 'Beyond the Black Rainbow'.
I know some people who hated it. Personally i'm glad I bought it. Despite my criticisms I definately want to watch it again. Unlike a lot of films I watch it stuck with me.

Decided to wind the evening down with something a little more easy going and watched Curse of Frankenstein. Certainly the Blu-ray is lacking in terms of quality, perhaps there was an accident that affected the contrast dial (same problem they had with straw dogs) but the film itself is still great fun. I'd forgotten how different Cushings Frankenstein was to the source material. Here he's a genuine certified grade A bastard who thinks nothing of killing people off to further his own agenda. Cudos as well to Christopher Lee for brilliant dialogue free performance as the creature.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 27th August 2013, 07:52 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Damn, I'm a big Kerouac guy and I had high hopes for this one...
It might be really good! I'm not a fan of Kerouac, I was way too old when I read him...at least 20 at the time. I liked the style but not the content. As to the film, I enjoyed the scenes of life with the Lees which captured some of the casual craziness I always imagined would rule in their household.
Wes likes this.
Old 27th August 2013, 08:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
It might be really good! I'm not a fan of Kerouac, I was way too old when I read him...at least 20 at the time. I liked the style but not the content. As to the film, I enjoyed the scenes of life with the Lees which captured some of the casual craziness I always imagined would rule in their household.
Yeah, I'll definitely catch it at some stage. I knew this could go either way...

Like this? Share it using the links below!