Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180005Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I see where you're coming from dude. Though Insidious isn't a patch on Poltergeist whereas 28 Days Later is approximately 28 times better than The Crazies.
Yeah I agree with you on he Insidious/Poltergeist fact. Not seen the "28" films yet, so I don't have an opinion.
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know how you can watch a film over two days as I'd forget what had happened and completely lose concentration. That's why I don't watch (or try not to watch) films on TV stations with commercials – I believe films are designed to be watched in one sitting, from beginning to end, without any interruption. (The exception being films with an intermission!)
Most of the time I do watch movies uninterrupted but in this instance tiredness got the better of me. Looking forward to resuming my viewing experience later tonight.
troggi likes this.
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Most of the time I do watch movies uninterrupted but in this instance tiredness got the better of me. Looking forward to resuming my viewing experience later tonight.
The times I've fallen asleep during a film or had to stop watching for one reason or another, I've always started back in the beginning. I don't know why, but I find it difficult to start watching a film halfway through.
Old 2nd November 2013, 03:35 PM
Cult Addict

Compliance

If someone in authority asks you to do something morally questionable would you do it? I remember reading about the experiment this was based on years ago. In that subject thought they had electrocuted someone to death on the say so of an 'authority figure'. I believe its still considered one of the major studies on the power of authority and peoples willingness to go along with someone they feel represents authority. Its uncomfortable stuff and its used well here in a 'true story' based around a caller to a fast food restaurant who claims to be a police officer and asks the staff to perform increasingly insidious examinations on a young employee. It's very uncomfortable viewing and very well directed, the acting is uniformly good as well and its a lot more origional and clever than a lot of films i've seen lately. Well worth a watch!
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Compliance

If someone in authority asks you to do something morally questionable would you do it? I remember reading about the experiment this was based on years ago. In that subject thought they had electrocuted someone to death on the say so of an 'authority figure'. I believe its still considered one of the major studies on the power of authority and peoples willingness to go along with someone they feel represents authority. Its uncomfortable stuff and its used well here in a 'true story' based around a caller to a fast food restaurant who claims to be a police officer and asks the staff to perform increasingly insidious examinations on a young employee. It's very uncomfortable viewing and very well directed, the acting is uniformly good as well and its a lot more origional and clever than a lot of films i've seen lately. Well worth a watch!
Strangely enough, this one popped up on my Amazon 'recommended for you' page the other day, and I was wondering whether anyone here had given it a look. It's based on a true story (although how much of the film is truth and how much is embellishment is unclear). Your review has certainly furthered my interest in seeking it out though, kierarts.
Old 2nd November 2013, 05:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Strangely enough, this one popped up on my Amazon 'recommended for you' page the other day, and I was wondering whether anyone here had given it a look. It's based on a true story (although how much of the film is truth and how much is embellishment is unclear). Your review has certainly furthered my interest in seeking it out though, kierarts.
I watched it a few weeks ago and, like kierarts, found it a really uncomfortable experience, but also really good film which, like he said, is really well directed and acted, with Ann Dowd's performance really impressing. It's definitely worth a blind buy.
Old 2nd November 2013, 08:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

It's been windy and rainy the past few days which gave me time to make some progress on my recent acquisitions, so in no particular order:

Taken 2 I watched the "uncut" version. Still not convinced that this is a good film.

PrometheusThis on the other hand is even better than I remembered.

Zombie Hunter I saw this at Fantasia (where I attended the world premiere) and again at Fantasy Film Festival. I think its great and certainly better than Machete Kills.

Batman Dark Knight Rises I enjoyed this much better second time round. I think it is a good conclusion to Nolan's trilogy.

All Superheroes must die I originally saw this under the alternate title Vs. and didn't really enjoy it. This repeat showing suggests that my original verdict was perhaps too harsh, it's watchable but not great.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

My fiance and I decided to have a late Halloween horror movie marathon so we baked some cakes, biscuits and made chocolate lollipops then sat down for the evening to watch The Walking Dead recorded from last night, Rec: Genesis, Halloween 2 remake then Halloween III: Season of the Witch. Thoroughly enjoyed all of them too

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 3rd November 2013, 12:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Those look damn tasty, ant!
Old 3rd November 2013, 12:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I'm glad to hear you say this. I thought I was he only person who found Martin average. Everyone seems to think it's the greatest modern horror film ever. It DID improve on its second viewing, but still not the masterpiece everyone says it is. I prefered The Crazies.
Your not the only ones! I saw it a few years ago and thought the same thing, just wasn't engaging enough!
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!