All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179689Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2013, 09:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm currently reading the book and, as you'd expect, won't watch the film until I've finished reading an incredibly enjoyable and really well-written novel. My hopes that the adaptation will live up to the source material and now quite high!
I'd say lower them. I like the film a lot, but it ain't a patch on the book. And I loved the book. Coscarelli has a lot of fun with the source, but the film can't capture half of the book's insanity or humour. And it's actually only about half the book anyway, they miss out loads. And I hate to say it but the budgetary limitations do show.. I know, low budget is Coscarelli's thing, but some of the imagery in the book is just mental.

My thoughts: http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/281852-post16624.html
troggi likes this.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
I'd say lower them. I like the film a lot, but it ain't a patch on the book. And I loved the book. Coscarelli has a lot of fun with the source, but the film can't capture half of the book's insanity or humour. And it's actually only about half the book anyway, they miss out loads. And I hate to say it but the budgetary limitations do show.. I know, low budget is Coscarelli's thing, but some of the imagery in the book is just mental.
That's interesting to hear. I'll try and forget about everything I've read for when I've finished the book and rent the BD so I can make my own mind.
troggi likes this.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
Dare I say it (dare, dare) That this is just as enjoyable as any of the Universal Frankenstein films,especially when Lugosi's brain is transplanted into the monster.Will the scientists never learn.
Attachment 124965
I agree, I love all the Universal Frankenstein/Dracula films, even the Abbott & Costello ones
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th November 2013, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I agree, I love all the Universal Frankenstein/Dracula films, even the Abbott & Costello ones
I've never seen an Abbott and Costello film. For me horror and slapstick don't mix. See Evil Dead for more proof.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen an Abbott and Costello film. For me horror and slapstick don't mix. See Evil Dead for more proof.
How about Braindead?

I really like Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein, but I tend to agree with you about the whole horror/slapstick thing. In fact, I'm not to hot on horror/comedy in general.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:35 PM
Cult Addict

Arena.

Charles band produced cheapie about a bloke on board a space station who sets out to become the first human champion of the arena in 50 years. Has Claudia Christian from Babylon 5. This one is a few years older than that series and B5 recycled the plot somewhat for an episode. In fact given the setting the whole thing feels like an extended B5 episode and I found myself wondering if J. Michael Strazinsky had seen this before creating the show. Arena also stars Armin Shimmerman who appeared in B5 knock-off Star trek deep space 9.

Arena is a classic example of Charles Band production... Cheap and cheerful and lots of fun.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm currently reading the book and, as you'd expect, won't watch the film until I've finished reading an incredibly enjoyable and really well-written novel. My hopes that the adaptation will live up to the source material and now quite high!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post

My thoughts: http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/281852-post16624.html
I have to agree with Delirium on every point but still maintain that this is a thoroughly enjoyable romp. Of course you're never going to get anywhere near the book, even with a "Titanic" size budget, partly because of the subjective nature of reading and partly because of the fantastic and varied imagery in the book. A film that was slavishly true to the book would be hours long and, ultimately, very confusing.

When discussing the film with the Daughter of Darkness, Katherine, she said "I couldn't get on with the book but the film is great. Iain and Jamie just sat there saying 'what' while I was completely wrapped in it!" I suppose that could mean that it's a not for everyone or that only people with the same skewed view on the world as my little girl and I can enjoy it.

Whatever the reason I know that it is one DVD that is not going to get traded in at CEX!

Monster Magnet
Old 25th November 2013, 12:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Marketa Lazarová

Wow! What a film! As I continue to try and digest this gentle but barbaric look at two medieval "clans" who happen to be bitter rivals one thing strikes me, this is certainly one of the closest adaptions of that particular period. Vláčil carefully crafted a tale of real textures and this translates through to the viewer. Often times this film feels ethereal, almost as if he had a time machine and filmed it 1200 years ago. I'm not sure about the rewatchability factor but if you can, I highly recommend seeing it at least once.
Old 25th November 2013, 02:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
After waiting for so long to get a copy of "John Dies at the End" I couldn't resist watching it late last night. I enjoyed it enormously! I think that I realized what was in store when John tried to open a door and the doorknob turned into a large flaccid penis.

This is a true WTF film in every sense of the term because you can tell that the actors are unsure about the direction of the movie themselves, never mind where I thought that it was going!

A successful surreal adaptation of a surreal book and great fun throughout! 19 and bit/10 for the welcoming committee in the "other dimension"!
I joked with a friend once over the title either the title gives the ending away or if he doesn't die then its false advertising they just stood looking baffled and not sure what to say.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 25th November 2013, 08:11 AM
Active Cultist

Night of the Bloody Apes - Well i started to watch when it dawned on me things were missing, i only went and got the cut 2000Film version, so will need to get a different version Uncut.

Cannibal Terror - Awful film but sort of secretly enjoyed it because it was so bad.

Like this? Share it using the links below!