Old 30th May 2015, 01:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Timbuktu (2014)

8/10
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th May 2015, 05:18 PM
Active Cultist

Spring Breakers - a very odd affair - starts off by rubbing your face in the worst MTV cliches - ugly digital images of boozing, stripping etc - go on turn me off it seems to be saying. I didn't and I'm glad because what emerges is a compulsive woozy ride to nowhere. James Franco shows up as a sleazy gangsta and delivers a memorable 'look at my shit' speech. This film has lingered in my mind for a week now - it's definitely got something.

You're Next - the intensity of the French/Spanish horror revival of the mid noughties has gone - for better or worse we're back to retro fitted, tongue in cheek crowdpleasers. This film gets by on its animal mask gimmick and the pleasure of seeing dorks getting offed - it's passably entertaining but feels a bit off to me, horror as pastiche.

Let's Scare Jessica to Death - I remember seeing this years ago and struggling to make anything out it was so murky - what a pleasant surprise to see it (on Netflix) looking vibrant, indeed beautiful. It's got a drug comedown/paranoia vibe with added haunted house/vampire cliches - really enjoyed it this time round.

The Amazing Mr X - got a 35 pack of film noirs off eBay for 2.50 - all in MP4 format ready to be pinged to my Apple TV - happy days! This was the first I watched and it's worth the price on its own. Involves a back from the dead husband, a camp psychic who's the spit of Harry Enfield, a ghost, a raven, windswept beaches, seances, a magician cop(!) - it's gothic, funny, melodramatic - an obscure treat.

Lured - Lucille Ball and George Sanders forge an unlikely partnership and the most obvious killer in film history is revealed but Boris Karloff of all people steals the show in a one scene cameo as a deranged fashion designer who dresses women up in French Recency dresses and makes them reenact Bluebeard in front of a load of dress dummies and a fat pug. BK at his lisping gurning best.
Old 30th May 2015, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Lady in a cage – 1964 (Currently on Netflix UK)

This film is a diamond in the rough, the main character Mrs Hilyard (played by Actress Olivia de Havilland, Who is 98 years old and still going strong!) is trapped in a safety elevator in her home, after a power cut shuts down the motor. She knows someone will be at the house shortly so she calms herself and plans to wait for help to arrive. That’s when she realises that in fact it’s the start of the Independence Day weekend and she may not be found at all…
On the elevator is a call button connected to one of those big bells that they have in army barracks or schools, as it rings in the street she has no idea that good or bad people can answer a distress call. In this case just bad people come!

So the film then begins to take a strange form, it goes from a formulaic classic movie with ordinary shots and well rehearsed dialogue and begins to seem scattered and untidy, if you can imagine watching say the first half hour of ‘The lost weekend’ and then imagine somehow, that the movie was given to a young Tobe Hooper or even rob Zombie to finish.
The first man and woman who enter the house to rob the lady and not help her are then hustled by a gang of teenagers – the teenagers plan to kill the other robbers who begin to beg for their life like the home owner begged them for her own life… the lead of the gang is sexually perverted and has plans for the homeowner but not before killing the other robbers...
Then out of nowhere the tables are drastically turned to leave the ending of the film a complete shock and surprise! If you haven’t seen the film I recommend it, it really isn’t what you might expect for a film made half way into the 60’s. If you have seen the film and I am remembering it wrong I apologise. But this is a keeper.

This is also actor James Caan's first credited film apperance! and his roleas the lead (sexual deviant)thug is unforgettabe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady in a cage.jpg (95.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 30th May 2015, 08:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Lady in a cage – 1964 (Currently on Netflix UK)
Excellent review – Lady in a Cage sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'll try and watch it tomorrow or early next week.
Vipp and J Harker like this.
Old 30th May 2015, 08:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Excellent review – Lady in a Cage sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'll try and watch it tomorrow or early next week.
Thank you Nos, i really think a few of the members here will like this film, it isn't perfect but when you take it's age into account it become something rather special.
Old 30th May 2015, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. By far Tim Burton's best film, inventive, funny and genuinely odd.
Old 30th May 2015, 09:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. By far Tim Burton's best film, inventive, funny and genuinely odd.
I still find it odd to see Phil Hartman in that film, he got around a bit before his untimley death. i like the PeeWee film it's insane! lol.
Old 30th May 2015, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Its been many a year i admit but I'd never have considered this Burtons best film by far or otherwise. Maybe its about time for a rewatch.
Old 30th May 2015, 11:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Curious MTDS. What's his worst?
Old 30th May 2015, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Curious MTDS. What's his worst?
Planet of the Apes.

Like this? Share it using the links below!