All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2017, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I wasn't aware of him before. Hopefully there will be another film in this series.
He's great in We're The Millers D.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th March 2017, 06:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Severance (2006)

A team-building weekend in the mountains of Eastern Europe goes horribly wrong for the sales division of the multi-national weapons company Palisade Defence when they become the victims of a group of crazed killers who will stop at nothing to see them dead.

Following on from Wilderness and Botched, Severance is another fave from the mid 00's. Director Christopher Smith's second film has long been my favourite of his. Part black comedy and part out and out horror. The film boasts an excellent cast including Tim McInnerny, Toby Stephens, Laura Harris, and in arguably the form of his life, Danny Dyer.

The comedy aspect adds something to the well worn 'Backwoods' horror genre whilst the graphic gore and mounting tension guarantees it keeps you on the edge of your seat. The script is witty and surprising and the quirky Britishness certainly sets it aside from it's American counterparts such as Wrong Turn.. I mean, an office outing. All that's missing is Ricky Gervais.

Severance is a film i've watched countless times and i always find thoroughly enjoyable with each subsequent viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 936full-severance-poster.jpg (92.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th March 2017, 09:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Severance is one of the best films of the 2000s.
Old 28th March 2017, 09:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Severance is one of the best films of the 2000s.
Good film and the high-point of Mr. Dyers career methinks.
Old 28th March 2017, 09:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Good film and the high-point of Mr. Dyers career methinks.
Not exactly stiff competition, but Severance is a film I enjoy very much. Tim McInnerny is, as you'd expect, hilarious in it.

One of the things I appreciate the most is the subtext about the arms industry being completely irresponsible and how it is there if you want to see it and read it as a critique of the system, you can ignore it and have fun.

Another thought: is the title a pun on the different meanings of the word?

Severance
noun
the act of severing or the state of being severed.
a breaking off, as of a friendship.
Law. a division into parts, as of liabilities or provisions; removal of a part from the whole.
Old 28th March 2017, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Not exactly stiff competition, but Severance is a film I enjoy very much. Tim McInnerny is, as you'd expect, hilarious in it.

One of the things I appreciate the most is the subtext about the arms industry being completely irresponsible and how it is there if you want to see it and read it as a critique of the system, you can ignore it and have fun.

Another thought: is the title a pun on the different meanings of the word?

Severance
noun
the act of severing or the state of being severed.
a breaking off, as of a friendship.
Law. a division into parts, as of liabilities or provisions; removal of a part from the whole.
It's also the name of the camp Harris and Dyer enter at the end of the film -Szeveranz - so it can be taken many ways.
Old 28th March 2017, 10:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's also the name of the camp Harris and Dyer enter at the end of the film -Szeveranz - so it can be taken many ways.
I'd forgotten about that one, but thought it was a multi-meaning title with references to the ruthless corporate world where contracts, whether between companies or individuals are severed, limbs being severed from bodies during the film and, as you pointed out, the company-owned prison camp.
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th March 2017, 11:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

An Eye For An Eye (1980?, Steve Carver)
After witnessing his partner's fate at the hands of a mysterious enemy
Chucky strikes his own path on his quest for the truth. If this soundeth formulaic ... it is.
Shaft tuts from the corner. Then I must have blinked as it turns into a budding romance.
Bizarre film. For all the left field social realist musical zombie flicks that I have seen
Norris' canon contains some of the strangest juxtapositions witnessed yet. And I like Jodorowsky!!

Watched on vhs. 4:3 at that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th March 2017, 11:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Well I was going to see Life this week (having seen Beauty and the Beast on Monday) but yesterday the cinema was closed due to the cyclone (which didn't come here in the end and today at least one session has been cancelled because the screen's bust!
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th March 2017, 12:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Well I was going to see Life this week (having seen Beauty and the Beast on Monday) but yesterday the cinema was closed due to the cyclone (which didn't come here in the end and today at least one session has been cancelled because the screen's bust!
Lawdy!
Still haven't been this year
At least I don't have a bloody cyclone putting the mockers on my fun.
Kudos!
keirarts and iank like this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!