All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179953Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2017, 04:50 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

Well, what a derivitive, plotless, characterless, thrill-less, CGI shitfest that was!

Shit certainly blows up...you just wish your tv would as well.
I seen this at the cinema around my birthday last year, it was one of the best comedies of last year

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 20th August 2017, 07:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Creepshow 2. Pretty average late 80s horror anthology. The second story was the best with the raft and the killer oilslick (!).
Old 20th August 2017, 09:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Windmill Massacre.

Avoid this witless garbage. The first kill sets you up for some fun ... but then the makers obviously used up their originality with that.
I'm very tempted to say Shuttle was betterer.
(it isn't )
Il stick with Bathory's Massacre methinks ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th August 2017, 10:31 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Windmill Massacre.

Avoid this witless garbage. The first kill sets you up for some fun ... but then the makers obviously used up their originality with that.
I'm very tempted to say Shuttle was betterer.
(it isn't )
Il stick with Bathory's Massacre methinks ...
I was impressed with it and agree with Frankie Teardrop's review from a few pages ago but, as with almost every film, see how it won't be everyone's cup of tea.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 20th August 2017, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I thought it was average at best, nothing special and easily forgettable, different strokes and all that
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th August 2017, 11:35 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No i haven't. I read in Empire in an interview with King where he said it was all the books condensed, mentioned it on here and someone dismissed it.
I think that was me I was under the impression that they were only shooting the first book, I couldn't, and still can't in retrospect, believe that they have taken an 8 volume book and made a 95 minute film from it It seems I was quite wrong though...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th August 2017, 11:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I think that was me I was under the impression that they were only shooting the first book, I couldn't, and still can't in retrospect, believe that they have taken an 8 volume book and made a 95 minute film from it It seems I was quite wrong though...
Really?
Bugger that then.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th August 2017, 12:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

PHANTASM – Was a real pleasure to see this after so long. 'Phantasm' has to be one of my faves from its era (late seventies), and it's so atypical for US horror. Everything about it is out of joint – the fact that it's a kind of coming-of-age story, the screwy ideas which just never seem to stop, the constant flow of strange events that flow dreamily past. I love how the main character can pop down the road for an audience with a psychic as if it''s no big deal. And when was the last time a movie protagonist was an ice cream man? More than anything, the atmosphere is hard to pinpoint but just so totally 'there'. Maybe it just boils down to people hanging around in graveyards and long shots of houses at night, I don't know. But anyway, what a great film.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – The late eighties retelling. A young opera wannabe from NYC is whisked back in time (somehow?) to nineteenth century London, where Robert Englund is in post-Freddie mode. Actually, I was quite taken with his attempt at a sinister, whispering English guy, although I'm not sure whether it was any good or not. Ditto for the rest of the film – I'd probably come down on the side of 'not', but I did like it. It has that late eighties thing going on with it, and basically looks like a long, overblown rock video for at least some of the time. So much so that I wondered whether it was Italian, given its combo of slick visuals and stiff performances. It's also a bit ponderous, albeit peppered with splashes of gore. No-one's idea of a game changer, but if this kind of nostalgia is your thing then you'll probably be into it (a little).

DEVIL HUNTER – Back with the Jess Franco. 'Devil Hunter', well, if you're looking for one of his suffocatingly erotic fever dreams that descend on you like a Succubus in the night, then maybe look somewhere else. The truth is, the guy turned out scores of movies, and not all of them are 'Vampyros Lesbos', or 'Succubus' for that matter. 'Devil Hunter' is probably closer to the reality of Franco's oeuvre – i.e, threadbare shit with some pretty baked stuff going on, but also with some pretty dull stuff going on. This one's about a movie starlett who's abducted for ransom by a posse led by Lionel Blair along with Mosquito der Schander guy. Al Cliver comes to the rescue, so already we're in dodgy territory. 'Devil Hunter' just happens to be set in a jungle where some Western guy's idea of an African tribe worship a tall, cannibalistic 'god' with weird eyes, and of course this matter complicates things. Watching 'Devil Hunter' becomes an exercise in balancing tedium with delirium, as long stretches of people wandering around in the jungle and doing their bit to expand 'the plot' alternate with transporting passages of the cannibal god lurking, wreathed in echoes and organ drones on the soundtrack. We get to see lots of close ups of the cannibal guy's incredibly fake looking but interestingly messed up eyes. It sounds like I'm doing a real diss of 'Devil Hunter', but I think it's great. It's the sort of cinematic equivalent of some mouldy food in a dead man's fridge, you imagine it's been buried under dust or some other filth in a forgotten corner for years (although actually it's never really been out of circulation). It feels really dirty somehow despite not being massively explicit – maybe this is a tribute to its gutter level cheapness. Either way, 'Devil Hunter' is perhaps not the best intro to Franco, but is still fascinating cine-slime.
Old 20th August 2017, 12:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Again I bow to your mighty pen F.
DH is certainly one of his 'sweaty' films imho
His lack of interest in the genre makes for a tussle of a watch. I love it and hate it in equal measures.

Phantasm is just out there. Always was and always will be

[B]
Old 20th August 2017, 12:38 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Phantasm is just out there. Always was and always will be
" You play a good game, boy, but the game is finished. Now you die."

Like this? Share it using the links below!