Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2018, 08:38 PM
Cult Addict

Ravenous
A captain is sent off to an outpost in california, where a stranger arrives with a tale of cannibalism in a cave. They all go to find the survivors but are mostly killed by the stranger who eats them.
Still is great, not only one of my favourite Cannibal movies, but also one of my favourite Robert Carlyle movies as well.
Also great soundtrack by Damon Albarn.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 14th June 2018, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Black Water 2018

A undercover C.I.A operative awakes in a submarine, unknown how or why he is there, along with another prisoner they try to escape and get answers.

Since Universal Soldier and The Expendables Lundren and Van Damme seem to play enemies but in this a strange friendship blossoms. This is a somewhat meant to be tense action thriller that goes back and forth with some good shot outs, don't go OTT with the price wait till it comes down. 5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black-Water-2018-Film-Poster.jpg (96.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th June 2018, 09:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Jack & Jill ... went up a cul de sac

Alright ... I can now speak of it.

Adam Sandler thought that this was funny enough to make. This alone should alert you
Painful in extremis ... Al Pacino thought that this was funny enough to appear in. That should tell you about Pacino's judgement. Lawdy! Thank Cthulhu I was drunk

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th June 2018, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict

hereditary

The weird experience of being the only person in the theatre to actually like the film. One couple walked out making a noisy exit midway through. Other people walked out the theatre muttering "piece of s***". Even ny mate hated it. He likes the conjuring though, a film that gets worse each time i see it.
In fairness the Barrow-in-furness audience doesnt get subtlety or nuance. Nor do they get on with films that require you pay attention to what your seeing because small details can end up being quite important. Its called this years exorcist. Personally i'd disagree. More this years dont look now. Make of that what you will. The first two thirds of the film are glacier slow and drenched in grief and family dysfunction. The last third pays off as shit gets very dark and weird. I'll say no more than that. I can imagine some on here will hate it but for me its one of the best new films this year so far.
Old 14th June 2018, 09:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Cotton Club (1984, Francis Coppola)

Richard Gere saves the wrong guy in 20s Haalem. Sumptious as only FCC can be, remarkably violent still after 34 years.
Cage looks about 12 . Fred Gwynne looms a lot. Hines shines.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 14th June 2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 14th June 2018, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Speed Racer (2008, Wachowski Bros)
It's the colour of a sugar rush. Feted by friends so I tucked in. Somewhat more violent than I expected. Roger Allam and other Brits shore up this thing that is neither a satire on corporate shenanigans, it being more akin to a Herbie film in fact. Sheesh min.

[B]
Old 15th June 2018, 03:19 AM
Cult Master

Jack And Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Alright ... I can now speak of it.

Adam Sandler thought that this was funny enough to make. This alone should alert you
Painful in extremis ... Al Pacino thought that this was funny enough to appear in. That should tell you about Pacino's judgement. Lawdy! Thank Cthulhu I was drunk
Any film which sweeps the boards at the Golden Razzies, and wins in all 10 categories (with a total of 12 nominations), can't be all bad
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 15th June 2018, 09:29 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So it's not full of the usual shit jump scares that ruin every other paranormal film.

It has to be a paranormal style film cos' that's all the horror that gets into cinemas.
Hereditary is a film which is not 'just' a horror film, but has something else going on in the narrative and subtext. It begins with a woman (Toni Collette) grieving because her mother has died so, in a similar way to The Babadook, the main characters are trying to process their grief, but do so in different ways. I know you're not a fan, but it's a film which struck me as being thematically similar. I suppose it can be looked at a little like Repulsion, where the main character is battling internal demons and the results affect all around them.

Some of the down-to-earth approach leads to scenes which wouldn't be out of place in a Mike Leigh family drama, enhancing the characterisation and location. I said yesterday I didn't want to say too much so as not to spoil it, so I'll leave it there, finishing only to say it is one of the best films I've seen this year and will probably be high in my top 10 list of films released in Britain in 2018.
Old 15th June 2018, 10:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Raiders of the Lost Shark (2015)

Plotless and talentless with abysmal CGI renderings

This was absolutely horrendous. Most scenes involve a couple stood by a lakeside. Girl decides to go for a swim then an awful looking digitised shark pulls her under the water but the surface never even ripples.

The acting is even worse than the effects. At one point a plane is blown up by a flying shark and one character supposedly watching said explosion doesn't even react just exclaiming flatly 'My plane'. Did you notice i said 'flying shark'? It does fly but as the film makers could barely get their cardboard shark to swim you can imagine how bad it looks flying.

Stay clear of this, seriously, it's garbage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81Rj4ySx+DL._SL1500_.jpg (99.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th June 2018, 01:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Raiders of the Lost Shark (2015)
I quite like the Sharknado films in a stupid way to switch off after a hard day, but it sounds as if the best thing about that film is the title.

Like this? Share it using the links below!