All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2019, 03:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Pact II (2014)

This film about a young woman who cleans up crime scenes and starts to have nightmares about a serial killer which have meaning in the real world, is similar to The Pack in that it fundamentally doesn't have any flaws and it does it's job well, remains watchable and well acted throughout and has a fairly gripping finale.

However it's not quite up there with the best the genre has to offer and will never pop up on any top ten lists.

Fans of the series Arrow and the rest of the tv DC universe might be interested to know that Caity Lotz, the heroine from the first film also has a sizable role in this sequel.

One of those films that you can watch any time and enjoy but won't be wowed by it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Pact_2_2014_film_poster.jpg (18.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th July 2019, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Liam Neeson plays a snow plough driver in a Colorado ski resort whose son is murdered by thugs working for the local drug kingpin (Tom Bateman), overcome with rage, Neeson sets out on a path of revenge.

So far so Neeson, but it really isn't the Taken sequel it sounds like. Following the first kill (We are given a black RIP screen following each death to commemorate their loss - can you imagine if the did this with Commando in the 80's?) we spend as much time with the drug lord and his comrades as we do with Neeson and the film becomes what seems like a series of vignettes and doesn't really flow as you would expect. Quirky is one way of saying it but that dislocated feeling means we never really get any build up of tension.

There's quite a bit of black comedy involved and there's an Elmore Leonard vibe to it rather then any typical revenge thriller. Technically it's great, with excellent snow scape photography and often amusing dialogue written for characters unlikely to feature in more than two scenes before becoming an RIP on our tv screen.

Come the end, i was left with a feeling that there was more to the film than initially meets the eye and it would definitely benefit from a second viewing.
Old 8th July 2019, 04:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scarface (1981)

Wherein Pacino unleashes his inner Roman Candle , and Brian rubs his Hitchcock all over the screen . nice to see he was still using the same dance moves as in Crusing . Still quite exhilarating tbh.

The Running Man

Starsky and Arneeeee take on the King in this rather uncomfortably normal looking (now) satire on TV. Framed for a crime he didn't zzzzzzz, the big Twin finds himself subjected to the mores of a facist murica's needs. Nice to see it uncut etc. He calls Mick Fleetwood by his own name

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th July 2019, 04:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Goonies

Another one I have never bothered with before. It certainly insists upon itself . a lot nastier than I had imagined. Anne Ramsay excels as the matriarch of a trio of twats. Great to see Short Round again etc

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th July 2019, 05:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Brick is excellent. I've never seen The Brothers Bloom.
It's a very clever and engaging heist/caper movie with a great cast (Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo, Rachel Weisz), and one which is really well written and directed.

I can't imagine it'll be very expensive to buy as I bought it for £2.50 from Blockbuster back in 2013! It's probably something which will be in one of the offers at Music Magpie.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 8th July 2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 8th July 2019, 05:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

I can't imagine it'll be very expensive to buy a sideboard of £2.50 from Blockbuster back in 2013! It's probably something which will be in one of the offers at Music Magpie.
Old 8th July 2019, 07:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Two things were responsible for that: a) voice recognition software and b) me not proofreading before posting, so it's now been corrected so it makes sense!
Old 8th July 2019, 08:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After the death of his wife and daughter a composer resettles too a new job in Seattle, he takes a abandoned mansion as he's new home. Not long after moving in he begins hearing strange noise and occurrence is It imagination at the loss of his family or is something more supernatural at work. One the most atmospheric and unnerving haunted house movies. No need for gore or jump scares just good writing , acting and direction. 9.5/10

The world is trying to come to terms with a world without Iron man, none more so than Peter who's not only lost a friend but a mentor and farther figure, but the world might have it's saviour in the form of mysterio who has come from an alternative earth to save ours from the elementals , beings which destroyed his homeworld.

But is he all be appears to be? Peter begins having doubts about his abilities when he is left a powerful gift by Tony and finds out that he is the one that Tony would want too succeed him. Once again another likable turn from Tom Holland . 7.5/10

Now watching night train to terror.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th July 2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 8th July 2019, 08:43 PM
Cult Addict

Conan the Barbarian
Conan is forced into slavery as a child after an evil cult murders his village and parents. After years of slavery he is freed and aims for revenge against the evil leader.
Lovely little fantasy pic, Arnie punches a camel which was great and James Earl Jones turns into a snake at one point. Although there were a few cuts in my copy it seems.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 9th July 2019, 10:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadly Blessing 1981.

After being shunned by his community for marrying an outsider, a former Hitite member is killed and his widow starts to believe his family is out to torment her,

Decent supernatural horror from Wes Craven with a nice twist added in, shrouded in a dark atmosphere, Ernest Borgnine plays Isaiah, the main father of the community who likes to hand out punishment. Michael Berryman plays the creepy onlooker member William. Maren Jensen plays the tormented widow who the community believe she is the messenger of the Incubus demon. Sharon Stone stars along side, not her best film role but does do a good job and manages to keep her clothes on. Worth watching.7-8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deadly-Blessing-1981-cover.jpg (23.4 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!