Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179953Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2019, 11:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As I have fond memories of the original (trip to pictures with my old man etc), I would not put myself through that.
Walt Disney being PC is an absolute joke considering its creator's proclivities AHEM. Shame THAT past mouseketeers
trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th August 2019, 01:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Room in Rome (2010)

Depicting the emotional and sexual relations of two women throughout a single night in a hotel room in Rome, despite the two girls both being gorgeous and nude throughout more or less and featuring numerous sex scenes this was strangely un-sexy stuff.

Testament to the film makers in that i was invested in the girls as people and how their one night stand turned into a fully rounded relationship over the course of this single night. The script is soulful, redemptive and often quite funny as well as romantic and thankfully it never veers into schmaltz.

Although the film worked for me this time i'm not sure it's one i'd want to revisit as there's not what you'd call an awful lot of drama involved and i suspect it could become tedious on subsequent viewings as, at getting on for two hours, despite the good performances it did drag at times especially during the frequent sexual encounters. At one point i was comparing it to a Jess Franco film or rather how Jess might improve the shagging with frequent camera zooms. When your mind wanders like that it really can't be a good thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 187146-l.jpg (35.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th August 2019, 03:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Really enjoyed rewatching George Miller's first Mad Max film as my Sunday afternoon movie (whilst my wife is at work). It's quite remarkable what Miller achieved on a low budget.

I have to say that the UK Warner Brothers blu-ray is really quite odd. It looks excellent but the original soundtrack is lossy whilst an American dub is lossless. What on earth were WB thinking?

Who out there really wants to watch Mad Max with a dodgy American dub? Come to think of it, why did an American dub even exist in the first place? It's in English isn't it?
Old 4th August 2019, 04:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, WHY indeed? I blames the cocaine

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th August 2019, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After a CIA agent kills a werewolf , he injects its blood into himself and it's not long before he goes on a killing spree and is killed by his boss, the body is put on ice and a number of years later the boss takes control of another project which is to do with artificial skin for burn victims , but has the unfortunate side effect of the skin Harding as strong as steel, which is what he wÃ*nts. The body is experimented on and it's not long before the werewolf comes alive and goes on a killing spree now with skin as hard as steel. 7/10
Old 4th August 2019, 07:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Weird Science 1985.

Two unpopular teens decide to create the perfect woman via the computer but she turns their lives upside down to make them popular.

from writer/director John Hughes comes this madcap comedy Anthony Michael Hall and Ilan Mitchell-smith play Gary and Wyatt, two unpopular and bullied teens who are watching Bride Of Frankenstein and decide to create their perfect woman and Kelly LeBrock walks in. Bill Paxton stars as the dominating bully older brother Chet who seems to enjoy being a total a@shole, Robert Rusler and robert Downey Jr stars as Ian and Max who do anything to humiliate Gary and Wyatt until they realise what they can do with their computer. From start to finish still has its's laughter and a small cameo appearance from Michael Berryman and Vernon Wells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weirdscience2.jpg (98.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th August 2019, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

After a CIA agent kills a werewolf , he injects its blood into himself and it's not long before he goes on a killing spree and is killed by his boss, the body is put on ice and a number of years later the boss takes control of another project which is to do with artificial skin for burn victims , but has the unfortunate side effect of the skin Harding as strong as steel, which is what he w?*nts. The body is experimented on and it's not long before the werewolf comes alive and goes on a killing spree now with skin as hard as steel. 7/10
Er, SOLD methinks

[B]
Old 4th August 2019, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Night Stalker.

The first of the Tv movies that introduces Carl Kolchak investigative report who is giving the case of some murdered girls by his boss Tony Vincenzo. Carl soon learns that there is something unnatural about the killings and it appears to be the work of a vampire, which puts him at odds with his boss and the police department. 7.5/10

The Night Strangler

The second Tv movie, this time Carl has located from Las Vegas to Seattle, where he comes on Vincenzo who offers him a job, Carl's first assignment is the death of a number of women that have been strangled . It soon becomes apparent that there is something unnatural about these killing as the same type of killings have been going on ever 21 years for over a hundred years. Once again Carl has to contend with the police and Vincenzo. Enjoyed this more than the first thanks to the relationship between Carl and Vincenzo. We also have some familiar faces, Richard Anderson ( 6 .million dollar man), Al Lewis(grandpa munster) , John Carridine and Margret Hamilton who played the wicked witch in the wizard of oz. 8/10

Now watching the Vindicator (1986)
Old 4th August 2019, 09:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Gunpowder (1986)

Norman J Warren directs this wonderfully loopy spy thriller / Bond knock off that's obsessed with gold and dairy products.

Remember that cool scene in The Living Daylights as the rogue milkman enters that high security mansion and kidnaps the KGB defector? Well said scene is recreated in it's entirety here, only this film came first.

The whole thing is really clunky with Martin Potter and David Gilliam as the ridiculously named Powder and Gunn - special agents and Cheshire, especially Macclesfield, standing in for the South of France. It's an action film done on the cheap but it's all terrifically entertaining and races at such a pace that you just move on from the sublime to the ridiculous, or is that the ridiculous to the ridiculous without batting an eyelid.

I got this from the Classic Films Direct sale and urge all Warren fans to do the same because this is highlyy recommended.

https://www.classicfilmsdirect.com/p...ilm-collection
Just watched this again, but without any alcoholic stimulants.

Fook me! It's shit. In fact it's the most amateurish film i think i've ever seen. It's only entertaining because it really is so bad.

Indicator...Why is this not in the Warren box set i ask?
Nordicdusk and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th August 2019, 10:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Star Trek: The Motion Picture. A mysterious energy wave devastates everything in its path and is headed on a collision course with Earth, with the newly refurbished (and untested) Enterprise the only thing standing in its way. The very first Star Trek film from 1979 has long been regarded as the black sheep of the franchise, being judged at the time to be far too slow and ponderous and lacking in action, though there has been some re-evaluation in recent years. I have vague childhood memories of finding it boring too, which is why despite having it on Blu ray for several years I only just got around to watching it last night, and had no idea what to expect.... and, to my surprise, I thoroughly enjoyed it. No, it's not an action movie, but it is a slice of real cinematic SF with an interesting and compelling story, some stunning special effects (there's some dated/ropey stuff early on but all the stuff inside the energy wave looks bloody amazing even 40 years on), the cast, particularly good old William Shatner, are all on point, and with a running time of 2 hrs 15 my attention never wavered. Unexpectedly terrific.

Like this? Share it using the links below!