Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2021, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

King Of The Kickboxers

Loren Avedon's Brother is killed in Thailand after winning a World Kickboxing title by Billy Blanks. Years later, he's a renegade Detective who goes undercover in Thailand to help bust a Snuff Movie company who Blanks works for. Whilst there he meets an American Model who escaped being Raped by Blanks and a former Kickboxer who gave Blanks a tough Fight who trains him.

Not only is this one of my favorite Martial Arts Films, it's one of my favorite films period. While the script and acting is corny, it's full of Action and has some brutal scenes.

I remember getting The 4Front Video release for my 15th Birthday and watched it regularly. Bizarrely, the DVD was released by Universal and I remember the Video Rental was distributed by EIV. Personally, I would love a UK Blu-Ray release for this one. There is a German Blu-Ray release, but it's under the name Karate Tiger. Don't know if anyone remembers the Distributer VPD, but they did some Martial Arts Films that could use a release.

The DVD had extra footage in one of the scenes which was strange at first because the Video didn't have it also footage from No Retreat, No Surrender 3: Blood Brothers was used (This also starred Loren Avedon)

Used Cars

Kurt Russell tries to save his recently deceased boss's Used Car Lot from his Brother who want's it because a Freeway will pass it. Entertaining Film with some funny scenes.

Great Outdoors

Dan Aykroyd and John Candy take their Families to the outdoors for a Vacation which has some mishaps. It was funnier when I first saw it as there are definitely funnier films out there now but the scenes with the Raccoons and the Bear were hilarious.

Kickboxer

Jean Claude Van Damme's Brother is paralyzed by an opponent in a Kickboxing match in Thailand. He finds a reclusive Trainer and goes for revenge. Definitely one of Van Damme's better Films and Tong Po looks the part as a menacing villain.

Coming To America

Eddie Murphy is a Prince who travels to America to find a Wife. Pretending to be poor, he gains the love of his boss's Daughter. James Earl Jones excels has his authoritative Father. This was still very funny and in my opinion may be Murphy's best Film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kotk.jpg (14.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg uc.jpg (14.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg go.jpg (12.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg k.jpg (12.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg cta.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th July 2021, 10:34 PM
Cult Addict

I watched Kickboxer for the first time a week or so ago, hilarious.
The dance scene was phenomenal.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 6th July 2021, 11:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Krays. 1990.

in 1934 Ronald "Ron" and Reginald "Reggie" Kray were born and grow up selling protection and waging a war against other gangsters around London.

Peter Medak was able to take on the role of director and created this masterpiece that has aged well, some of the film is inaccurate but still enjoyable. Gary and Martin Kemp who play the twins do a decent part, Gary plays Ron who seems to be unpredictable while Martin plays Reggie who seems mild but still have the violent tendencies that Ron has.

Billie Whitleaw plays their mother Violet who the twins doted on and she doted on them, at the opening she does a voice over of her dream and at the end she recites it as it played at her funeral with the twins in handcuffs surrounded by police. Steven Berkoff plays George Cornell who was another gangster and in a battle with the Krays that didn't really end well for him in a pub. This for me is still entertaining even on Blu-Ray the picture quality and sound is a lot better and sharper.

d05232a1d50cfde0741a5531702aa1524a4cf840.jpg
Old 8th July 2021, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Elder Island. 2016.

A documentary crew arrive on Beaver Island to investigate a local myth and get more than they bargained for.

I got more than what I bargained for when I watched this...81 minutes of my life lost watching this very poor slasher movie, don't get me wrong the acting was not great but decently. The film going to normal then P.O.V to the point my stomach keep churning, the back story is meant to be based on a true story that seems to be a homage to the 80s slasher craze which was good but can be slowly predictable, not one I will return to.

MV5BMjAwNzgyMjM5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzgyNTc1NzE@._V1_.jpg
Old 8th July 2021, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Taken

Liam Neeson is a man with a particular set of skills whose Daughter is kidnapped in France by Traffickers therefore goes after them before it's too late.

Every once in a while a film will show up in a Cinema without much fanfare often to capitalize on any sell outs a major film will have (This came out the same week as Death Race) and you watch it thinking this might be adequate but forgettable but afterwards you think, where did this come from? this is one of those films, it's blooming awesome. Neeson is fantastic in this (Even though he is now typecast in these kind of roles) and I could help but smile when he catches up to some of the major villains.

Sliver

Sharon Stone moves into a Apartment Complex where several Murders have occurred but falls for William Baldwin, who owns the building and has surveillance everywhere. Tom Berenger also stars. This was a film that I haven't seen in ages and was one that I couldn't remember what happened and it was still good but I wished it focused more on the Murders than the voyeurism. However since this was done after Basic Instinct, I can see why. This film has an underrated soundtrack however.

Bad Boys 2

Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are back and this time they are after a Drug Dealer. I found this to be more enjoyable than the 1st one and has better gags however the running time could have been trimmed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t.jpg (8.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg s.jpg (13.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bb2.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th July 2021, 06:50 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-ColdSweatPoster.jpg

Joe Martin is an American boat captain living with his wife and her 12 year old daughter in the south of France. Joe earns a living taking tourists out on his boat but Joe has a secret he has kept from his new family for years that is exposed when someone from his past shows up to settle an old score. When Joe was in the army he was put in prison with a few others he served one night while making an escape from the prison one of the men kill a policeman but Joe didn't sign up for anything like this he was just a getaway driver so he flees the scene and the others are captured and sent to prison for 7 years but not its payback time. The deal is Joe takes the men on his boat to a secret location for a pick up and his family will be released but Joe has other ideas.

This one is a real mixed bag firstly it has Charles Bronson and James Mason which is a great starting point but James Masons accent it horrendous as a man with a quite distinctive voice does himself no favours trying to do a southern american gentleman accent it's so odd and out of place there are many times where i couldn't even understand some of what he was saying his accent was so all over the place . Bronson is Bronson a no nonsense character who takes no shit from anyone and will do what it takes to protect his family. The rest of the cast are ok nothing really to write home about just passable especially Katanga the main crazy bad guy That's another thing the bad guys names Katanga and Fausto are bloody hilarious even more so with James Masons accent trying to pronounce them

It's an entertaining film but there is a whole lot of padding here like serious padding there is a scene where Bronson goes to get a doctor and a car chase follows but it goes on for around 20 minutes and it's not even entertaining its just driving fast on mountain roads but the two chasing motorcycle cops are miles behind rarely even in the shot and because of this there is no tension what so ever its just driving fast to fill in a few gaps and then the doctor just falls asleep in the back of the car which was pointless

I have to say Bronson is ripped as f*** in this film his veins are bulging out of his arms it's madness

Not a film i would watch again its a good film but not a great one but it does have one of the best lines i have heard in a film in a long time.

You killed Fausto ya clumsy BASTARD Jame Mason

7/10

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 9th July 2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 9th July 2021, 08:49 PM
Cult Master

Venom-1981-poster.jpg

A trio of criminals hatch a plan to kidnap the son of a rich family and hold for ransom while his parents are out of the country with only his elderly grandfather around to take care of him. The grandfather is an expert on African wildlife and his passion has passes on to his grandson who has a massive collection of animals but his latest deadly addition may actually save his life. After a mix uo at the pet shop the kids ends up coming home with a deadly black mamba rather than a harmless pet snake and just as the kidnapping is about to take place the venomous snake escapes in the house and soon everyone is a hostage.

I love the plot the cops are keeping them in the house and the snake is keeping them all on edge and wanting to get outside. All the scenes with the snake are shot really well and the snake strikes are very realistic looking. But for me the star of this film is hands down Oliver Reed he is always a delight to watch even when he is just standing in the shot doing nothing he demands your attention plus his hatred of the kid is hilarious" you cheeky little bastard" just for walking past him The film just flew by at no point was there any down time not that its action packed but i was hooked right from the start.

Definitely will revisit at some point and maybe a blu ray upgrade in the future.

8/10
Old 9th July 2021, 09:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Final Terror. More youngsters get chopped up in woods in 1981. This one was pretty poor, marred by male characters that are utterly unlikeable (save Mark Metcalf's (Buffy's Master!) who is killed off first) and female characters so staggeringly underwritten (even by slasher movie standards) that despite a young Daryl Hannah and Rachel Ward being in the cast, I just didn't give a toss about anyone. Disappointing esp after Madman and Just Before Dawn.
Old 10th July 2021, 10:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hardware Wars (1977, Ernie Fosselius)

The first SW spoof (made 3 months after premiere!) is very silly and is quite amusing for it's short running time. Especially the Wookie
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th July 2021, 11:20 AM
Cult Master

la_noche_de_los_brujos-611258230-large.jpg

Night Of The Sorcerers

A small group of researchers go into the wilds of Africa to investigate the disappearances of elephants but all they find is a voodoo tribe and their own DOOOOOOOOOOM.

The film kicks off with a voodoo ritual where a beautiful woman is tied to a tree and her clothes removed with a whip once naked she is put on an alter and her head is chopped off but the head lives and she returns as a vampire who appears at night to turn other beautiful women into vampires.

A promising start and a promising idea but for me it didnt build on the great start and it just got a little bit boring after awhile. Plenty of nudity but thats just a distraction from the long periods if not much interesting going on and to fill more of the void there is a really pointless sex scene that goes on and on in a river . One scene had me laughing was a rape scene where the rapist puts his knife down in the sand right next to where he carries out his act just within reach if his victim we all know how that ends for him. Not only is it the fact its there but he threw it down im such dramatic fashion as if to say well im gonna rape you now and if you object you can always pick up that there knife and stab me right in the back There is also a lot of recycling of footage they just shot one voodoo scene and then used it everytime a ritual is happening sometimes even looping the footage during the same scene

I wont be coming back to this one.

5/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!