Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180036Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2010, 01:11 AM
Ex-member

Oh yeah, I agree.
And it's that ability to re-use other movie's parts, but to ultimately create a completely unique whole of his own, which is why I defend QT from 'rip-off' attacks.

He should have come out earlier with it, but when the attacks started on him over the use of "City on Fire" in "Reservoir Dogs" (from suddenly 'knowledgeable' people who came ****ing late to BOTH), I had to laugh.
As the films are completely different as whole films in almost every way.

In fact so much so that when people who had not heard of "City" suddenly watched it because of "Res Dogs"...they more often than not ended up saying how ordinary and boring "City" was.
As indeed it is a slow paced, not really flashy, gritty if very typical and utterly un-eccentric or unusual cops/robbers drama.
Only really notable because of Danny Lee, Chow and couple of action moments.
Old 5th April 2010, 08:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Daughter Of Darkness
I never thought I would find myself saying this, but as Stuart Gordon films go this is desperately boring. The performances are flat all around and there is a definite cutback on the gore levels due to this being made for television…..though even by those standards this is tame. More importantly there is no sense of horror or excitement. Anthony Perkins gives what has to be his worse performance. All things combined there is nothing positive I can say. Awful!!!

Sleepwalkers
Based on a Stephen King story, this is actually a lot of fun. It starts off slowly but once it gets into the tongue in cheek nastiness and gore it kicks up a level. Mindless gory fun at times with some cat scenes that are guaranteed to make you laugh. The actual monster effects are poor but so what? John Landis, Joe Dante, Stephen King, Tobe Hooper and Clive Barker all make cameos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daughter Of Darkness.jpg (5.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Sleepwalkers.jpg (7.5 KB, 0 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 5th April 2010, 09:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Try the HK film DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS
Old 5th April 2010, 10:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Love to.....but it's OOP at the moment.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 5th April 2010, 12:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched The Faculty,written by Kevin Williamson and directed by Robert Rodriguez the other night.Love this film a LOT.A great mix of The Breakfast Club,Invasion of The Bodysnatchers and The Puppet Masters,as an alien tries to take over an American highschool and it's up to a group of kids to band together and save the day from the alien invasion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Faculty.jpg (25.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 5th April 2010, 01:17 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Schizoid

Excellent cast (including one of my teen pin-ups Donna Wilkes) but deadly boring rubbish including a ripe Klaus Kinski and a freaky Christopher Lloyd (nothing new there). Packaged as a slasher (which it isn't) and a low budget one (which it is).

New Year's Evil

Amusing, if bloodless, nonsense with Kip Niven (former vigilante cop and prophet of cinematic earthquakes) as a rather tepid serial killer who terrorizes rock star DJ Roz Kelly ("It's time to spin out and boil your hair") via telephone. Passes the time away, and does have a novel approach to marijuana use.
Old 5th April 2010, 02:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched Terminator Salvation for the second time last night, and the film just gets better. It's a straight up Post-apocalyptic action Extravaganza and beats the hell out of T3:Rise Of The Machines.
Old 5th April 2010, 02:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
watched Terminator Salvation for the second time last night, and the film just gets better. It's a straight up Post-apocalyptic action Extravaganza and beats the hell out of T3:Rise Of The Machines.
Couldn't stand it. Thought is was an overblown, wooden CGI fest, also I thought Sam Worthington was a terrible actor. Bale (who was the film's only redeeming feature imo) wasn't even that good in it. A very messy and pointless film overall.

I preferred T3 (with the exception of that whiny c*nt Nick Stahl who plays Connor, and the shitty in-jokes - when Arnie trys on the 'fruity' glasses a la T2 etc.), but only thought that was average.

Each to their own though Pedro!
Old 5th April 2010, 03:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I've got to agree with Pedromonkey on this one. After hearing mixed reviews about it I watched with very skeptical eyes but I thought it was great. It was just so superbly directed and some real fantastic camera work. I can't understand what people expected from it. It was dark, in places quite jumpy and was full of fantastic cgi action pieces which left you no time to take a breath. Superb stuff. Looking forward to seeing it again, definitely.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 5th April 2010, 03:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
"Natural Born Killers" - Director's Cut

Oliver Stone's vastly superior adaptation of Tarantino's rather lacklustre and bland screenplay (the same happened with the superior adaptation of his "True Romance" too) still holds up as one of the most outrageous, nasty, cynical, bruising, sadistic, twisted, nightmarish, stylish movies ever produced.
And certainly a highlight of that glorious 90's decade of balls-out actions films and extreme thrillers.

Superb soundtrack superbly used, a stunning cast all doing exactly the right thing in exactly the way it needed doing, wonderful set-pieces, jarring violence and sexual brutality and Stone makes great use of Tarantino's basic screenplay and ideas while adding so much extra greatness in the transition from page to screen.

Still unlike anything made before or since..."NBK" is an undervalued masterwork of cinematic extremes.

I absolutely hated, hated, HATED Natural Born Killers. I thought the film devoid of any merit. Is the Director's Cut different enough to warrant a look?

Like this? Share it using the links below!