Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2010, 03:27 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I absolutely hated, hated, HATED Natural Born Killers. I thought the film devoid of any merit. Is the Director's Cut different enough to warrant a look?
If you (oh so mistakenly) hated "NBK" that much (are there Doctors for such conditions?) the 'DC' will not change your mind, no.

It is FAR more violent and all the action thus flows better and has much more punch.
The number of individual, often little, cuts numbered in their hundreds

But basic scenes are the same. The cuts were all for violence...not narrative.
Old 5th April 2010, 04:53 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Must admit I thoroughly enjoyed Natural Born Killers. It's like a 60 pound sledgehammer to the skull, only less subtle.

Of the deleted scenes I didn't like the alternate ending very much but the courtroom scene (with Ashley Judd) was just outright vicious.
Old 5th April 2010, 05:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
If you (oh so mistakenly) hated "NBK" that much (are there Doctors for such conditions?) the 'DC' will not change your mind, no.

It is FAR more violent and all the action thus flows better and has much more punch.
The number of individual, often little, cuts numbered in their hundreds

But basic scenes are the same. The cuts were all for violence...not narrative.
Ah, OK.

So it's still pompous, pretentious, ugly, hysterical, noisy and tiring then?

Nah, sorry. I thought it was shite.
Old 5th April 2010, 06:44 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I've got to agree with Pedromonkey on this one. After hearing mixed reviews about it I watched with very skeptical eyes but I thought it was great. It was just so superbly directed and some real fantastic camera work. I can't understand what people expected from it. It was dark, in places quite jumpy and was full of fantastic cgi action pieces which left you no time to take a breath. Superb stuff. Looking forward to seeing it again, definitely.
I enjoyed T4 as well. I certainly wasn't expecting to, either. It is a much better movie than T3 which I haven't managed to rewatch once.

This weekend I watched 'The Brood' and 'Casshern'.
Old 5th April 2010, 09:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
'Casshern'.
Casshern is an odd film, it's a propper live action anime, and i found it a bit of chore to watch...

Finally sat down and watched Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut, and it's almost an entirly different film. Gone is the Eifle Tower opener and instead is a recap of the first film. There are some continuity errors due to the inclusion of the screentest where Reeve's is thinner then more muscular and his hair and glasses change at points, also included is the stuff shot with Brando that was not included in the Lester version. All in all it's great to finally see the film as it was originally written and intended to be shot but i still prefer the Lester cut.
Defo worth a watch as it's apparently the first time something like this has ever happened (not including Schrader's Dominion: Prequal to the Exorcist) as this was a purely internet based thing...
Old 5th April 2010, 11:45 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Just got back from seeing Bitch Slap at the Prince Charles Cineam (thanks of course to Cult-Labs). I really liked the film alot. I was a bit worried at the start because I didnt like the way it was told in multiple flash back but as it got more and more over the top it got better and better.

I think this film must contain one of the longest fist fights between two women ever put on the big screen, along with samurai sword action, lesbian subplots, explosions, car crashes and all of the other stuff we love in expliotation films.

The plot takes a back seat but the ride is wild enough that you wont care.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:02 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i saw it on tuesday night as we had the rental copies in too early, i absolutely loved it.

Ive put up a review in the reviews section...
Old 6th April 2010, 06:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The gate
lifeforce
the deadly spawn
Old 6th April 2010, 06:49 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched Ninja Assassin last night and what fun that was. Fantastically violent and gory, although it had CGI blood it was expertly executed so it didn't look tooooo tacky. Had some well choreographed fight scenes and some fairly good acting too. Had a great gory opening scene but then slowed down a fair bit in the middle only to pick up again with some nice action in the final 3rd . All in all a lot better than I originally expected. 3 out of 5

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th April 2010, 04:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

after watching Terminator Salvation the other night i decided to go back to the begining and watch The Terminator. This film still kicks all kinds of ass, Arnie as the evil T-800 is chilling and his expressionless face is just wrong, some top class acting from Arnie, nodody plays a robotic killing machine like him. The night Club shoot out is still great, it's short and quite realistic, there are no slow-mo shots, and is quite brutal, and i forgot that the great Dick Miller was in this too....AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!

Edit: i made a mistake with the above statement, Arnie WAS NOT a T-800 in the first film he was a Cyberdyne model T-101. He WAS a T-800 in T2 though

Last edited by pedromonkey; 7th April 2010 at 12:51 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!