Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree27073Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2101  
Old 16th November 2011, 11:04 AM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Love The Fall! One of my favourite bands. Saw them twice last week.
have to ask...how was MES? or more to the point, how long did he stay on stage??
Reply With Quote
  #2102  
Old 16th November 2011, 11:12 AM
PaulD's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newcastle, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
have to ask...how was MES? or more to the point, how long did he stay on stage??
Haha! The Newcastle gig was worrying because the venue had a strict 10pm cufew and the band didn't come on until about 9:50. Thankfully, the curfew was waived and we got about 50-55 minutes which, while short by most other bands standards, is par for the course these days with The Fall. He seemed ok, but pretty drunk at Newcastle. Great gig overall though.

York was even better - he seemed on better form and they came back on twice to do an unplanned one-song-encore. During Latch Key Kid he handed me the mic as well which was awesome so hopefully my drunken singing/shouting is immortalised on a bootleg somewhere (happened again briefly on White Lightning too)
Wes and Demoncrat like this.
Reply With Quote
  #2103  
Old 16th November 2011, 11:43 AM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Haha! The Newcastle gig was worrying because the venue had a strict 10pm cufew and the band didn't come on until about 9:50. Thankfully, the curfew was waived and we got about 50-55 minutes which, while short by most other bands standards, is par for the course these days with The Fall. He seemed ok, but pretty drunk at Newcastle. Great gig overall though.

York was even better - he seemed on better form and they came back on twice to do an unplanned one-song-encore. During Latch Key Kid he handed me the mic as well which was awesome so hopefully my drunken singing/shouting is immortalised on a bootleg somewhere (happened again briefly on White Lightning too)
sounds about par for the course as you say. have taken mate twice to see them recently, both times were interesting to say the least, dont know if he'll come next time etc.
they were blinding the second time we saw them (though an hour late....), tiny club, tiny audience (after the last time when he walked off after 40 minutes...to a chorus of "weve been duped!" i didnt expect a massive turnout but its their loss...)
have been resisting listening to new album on youtube.
as im dying to hear this "gossip girl" song.
all cometh to he who waiteth....
Reply With Quote
  #2104  
Old 16th November 2011, 11:54 AM
Wes's Avatar
Wes Wes is offline
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermillion Sands, Cork, Ireland
Default

The Wire reviewed the new album in the last issue and called it another essential Fall LP, but they're always blowing them off so...
__________________
Plutonium Shores - a journal cataloging interests, obsessions and random musings... so I don't forget.
Reply With Quote
  #2105  
Old 16th November 2011, 11:58 AM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
The Wire reviewed the new album in the last issue and called it another essential Fall LP, but they're always blowing them off so...
....havent read TW in ages, nae since the last time TG were on the cover etc.
does David Toop still write for them?
Reply With Quote
  #2106  
Old 16th November 2011, 12:05 PM
Wes's Avatar
Wes Wes is offline
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermillion Sands, Cork, Ireland
Default

Not sure, I only pick up the mag very occasionally these days, that mag became unreadable... like this review of sound artist John Duncan:

Conversation is undervalued as a performance medium but overextended as an analogy for musical behaviour. You're likely to find more conversing going on between chrous and the protangonist in an ancient Greek tragedy than among most musicians...

No Time to Wallow in The Wire
__________________
Plutonium Shores - a journal cataloging interests, obsessions and random musings... so I don't forget.
Reply With Quote
  #2107  
Old 16th November 2011, 12:48 PM
Baseball Fury's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sawtry (Nr.Peterborough), UK
Default

I hate The Wire. Nowadays it's the bible for pretensious twonks with ironic moustaches dressed head to toe in Amercian Apparel.

That and Pitchfork can die a horrible death.
Reply With Quote
  #2108  
Old 16th November 2011, 01:00 PM
Wes's Avatar
Wes Wes is offline
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vermillion Sands, Cork, Ireland
Default

Yeah... reading The Wire I felt a lot dumber than I really am, so I knocked it on the head. For what it's worth I would still pick it up if it had a good Primer or if there was a good installment of Invisible Jukebox - they remain The Wire's best features....

Listening to a classic from years back, Jessica Bailiff's Even In Silence. I haven't been keeping up with it lately but I used to pick up most everything on Kranky...
__________________
Plutonium Shores - a journal cataloging interests, obsessions and random musings... so I don't forget.
Reply With Quote
  #2109  
Old 16th November 2011, 02:42 PM
Phurious's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Default

Loving the acid on this track. It's a really wonky tune as well and I'm always partial to a bit of wonk

Blawan - Bohla



And this has been played a lot because it's so hilariously terrible, well the whole album is naff. Metallica just appear to churn out more of what they've done since time immemorial and Reed, well he's like some raging preacher whose been a slave to the communion wine. I've listened to the album 7+ times, but I simply don't like it.

Lou Reed & Metallica - Pumping Blood



It's Burial meets Hood. Hauntingly beautiful.

Cloud Boat - Lions On The Beach

__________________
My podcasts: http://www.midnight-video.com/ and http://c90sessions.blogspot.com/

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Reply With Quote
  #2110  
Old 16th November 2011, 03:36 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Not sure, I only pick up the mag very occasionally these days, that mag became unreadable... like this review of sound artist John Duncan:

Conversation is undervalued as a performance medium but overextended as an analogy for musical behaviour. You're likely to find more conversing going on between chrous and the protangonist in an ancient Greek tragedy than among most musicians...

No Time to Wallow in The Wire
aye, that sounds about right. i gave up on it as i was sick of never finding any of the cds i wanted (this is pre internet etc)
i like a bit of pretension, but not every one can be Simon Frith
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.