LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2008, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Whats aor.?
Pardon my ignorance.
Melodic rock. Bands like boston,foreigner,journey,stage dolls,vertigo,norway,etc.
Old 22nd September 2008, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Been listening to Killswitch Engage 'As Daylight Dies' and 'Watch Out!' by Alexisonfire this afternoon.
Killswitch are incredible. They can alternate between brutal metal and beautiful, moving melodies like no other band I've ever heard. I saw them at Download festival last year, best band of the whole weekend.
Old 27th September 2008, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I don't mind Killswitch Engage but I hated their END OF HEARTACHE album, I thought it was utter crap and it quickly went to the back of the CD collection.

Here's a real find and to be honest until today I didn't even know of their existence. It's a Phil Anselmo side project that he did with his ex-wife Stephanie Opal. They're called SOUTHERN ISOLATION and it's nothing heavy, just moody melodic acoustic Southern Rock. They only released one EP that's now very rare.

Check their MySpace page for a couple of songs (and an Alter Bridge song someone accidentally added). Hal, Tall Dude etc, this is for you! just don't expect owt heavy.

And here's a quote from Phil Anselmo on his inspiration for it:

Quote:
"She is a breath of fresh air on a world of pre-programmed rap and hip-hop oriented drivel, full up to the hilt with mechanical lifelessness. All instruments are physically played by people!! Not programmed by pop-culture mongers out to sever the true vein of True musicians who want to carry on the perfect tradition of music from the late 60's to the mid 90's. And the scattered few modern bands that feel the same passion most of which lay in the deepest recesses of the underground (which still only compensate for a handful of bands). This is the goal of Baphomet/Housecore Records in general. Opal fits the mould perfectly. It will be a privilege and quite a ride to watch her grow as an artist and a personality, more to come...obviously."
Anselmo always speaks sense. Think what you like of him (a lot of people dislike for apparently being a racist (as well as other things)... mind you you can't say shit these days without being branded as that) but he knows what he's talking about and is a nice guy beyond his troubles. He's a living ****ing legend if you ask me.
Old 28th September 2008, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post

Anselmo always speaks sense. Think what you like of him (a lot of people dislike for apparently being a racist (as well as other things)... mind you you can't say shit these days without being branded as that) but he knows what he's talking about and is a nice guy beyond his troubles. He's a living ****ing legend if you ask me.
Yeah, he really is. Plus, he's a big horror fan to boot I've got a Superjoint DVD and in one of the interviews with him he starts talking about how much he loves films like 'The Changeling' and 'Amityville 2' etc.
Thanks for the link Cloud, I'll give 'em a listen today. Usually love anything by Anselmo.

As for Killswitch, yeah, End of Heartache was their weakest album by far. I liked a couple of tracks on it but even they weren't anything really special. They certainly made up for it with 'As Daylight Dies'. I bought it on the same day as As I Lay Dying's last album 'An Ocean Between Us'. I was expecting to like AILD's a hell of a lot more but Killswitch's blew it out of the water. I was a bit disappointed with AILD's tbh, nowhere near as good as their previous albums.
Old 28th September 2008, 12:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

To be honest I haven't heard that album. After End Of Heartache I gave up on them. I'll give a few of their newer songs a listen later but I really don't like Howard Jones' voice, it feels out of place to me.

Let us know what you think to Southern Isolation. The rest of their EP is up on YouTube if you wanna hear it. I love moody acoustic music.
Old 28th September 2008, 12:15 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm mainly listening to the new Oomph! (terrible name - but great band) album Monster and another German band called Eisenherz. Listen to quite a lot of German music - particularly Rammstein who i've seen a couple of times and are fantastic live.

Really like KSE as well, probably prefer Alive or just Breathing over End of Heartache. For some reason i haven't got round to buying As Daylight Dies yet - will have to bump it up the list.
Old 28th September 2008, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
To be honest I haven't heard that album. After End Of Heartache I gave up on them. I'll give a few of their newer songs a listen later but I really don't like Howard Jones' voice, it feels out of place to me.

Let us know what you think to Southern Isolation. The rest of their EP is up on YouTube if you wanna hear it. I love moody acoustic music.
Have you ever heard Blood Has Been Shed Cloud? If not they may change your opinion on Howard Jones, it's the band he was in before he joined KSE. Far superior to Killswitch IMO, absolutley furious, crushing, brutal mathcore/ hardcore/ Beatdown type music. Very different from Killswitch, and I mean VERY different . Theres none of that melody, singing about love and stuff (which i'm not saying is a bad thing, for Killswitch at least). BHBS's 'Spirals' album is absolutley superb

Yeah sure mate, I'll get back to you on Southern Isolation once i've listened to them. I really like stuff like that myself although I have to be in the mood for it a lot of the time.
Old 28th September 2008, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

BTW, If your gonna check out some of Killswitch's new songs I'd recommend 'Daylight Dies', 'This is Absolution', 'My Curse' or 'Unbroken'. There the best tracks off the album IMO.

PS. Thresh, if your planning on picking it up, go for the 2 Disc special edition as it features some pretty decent bonus tracks and a DVD featuring about 4 music videos. Think you can get it in HMV for about 8 quid now.
Old 28th September 2008, 12:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween_22 View Post
PS. Thresh, if your planning on picking it up, go for the 2 Disc special edition as it features some pretty decent bonus tracks and a DVD featuring about 4 music videos. Think you can get it in HMV for about 8 quid now.
Got the End of Heartache special edtion so it'll be good to have the As Daylight Dies special edition next to it in the collection, and at 8 quid you can't go wrong! Will pop in to HMV during the week - cheers mate!
Old 28th September 2008, 12:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I haven't heard them but will give 'em a listen soon. I've never really been too fussed about this new wave of metal such as Metalcore and Hardcore etc. I find most of it too formulaic and plain boring. Since the short lived Nu-Metal era died out I'd probably be able to name the number of bands I've liked on one hand. The last time I honestly got excited by modern day music was when the British Metal industry was seemingly on the up with bands like Miocene and One Minute Silence. Then overnight that died and we were left with ****ing Emo bollocks. I'm getting depressed now. Still, there are some good Thrash and Sludge bands out there I guess still holding the metal flag high.

No offence to anyone who likes Emo btw, lol.

Like this? Share it using the links below!