Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree16558Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2018, 06:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

****! Literally bought the basic release because I figured it would be average, now I bet I'll have to double dip for the doc! Yes, that's what I do! I'm an extra features addict & I need help!
Old 21st April 2018, 11:21 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have high hopes for the documentary so I'll definitely buy their release. The documentary on cinema in South Africa during the apartheid era, something I saw as a preview some time ago and thought was extremely informative and extremely engaging, is being released as a stand-alone DVD (there is no release date at present).

Justin101, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 27th April 2018, 11:52 AM
Cult Master

New announcements by the look of it!

"First up for July...

After the success of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET in 1984, many a movie that moulded together slasher thrills and supernatural chills was rushed into production - from SLAUGHTERHOUSE ROCK (1988) to THE HORROR SHOW (1989) and Wes Craven's own SHOCKER (1989). None, however, were quite as notable nor as notorious as the bombastic blood-spiller BAD DREAMS from 1987, which roped in its own Freddy Krueger alumni with sexy Scream Queen starlet Jennifer Ruben (from A NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST 3: THE DREAM WARRIORS). Also starring the late, great B-thespian Richard Lynch (CUT AND RUN) as a Jim Jones-style reverend who begins to avenge his creepy cult of followers from beyond-the-grave, BAD DREAMS features some frantic and ferocious special effects, plenty of tormented teens and some of the finest frights of its decade! Featuring the legendary Bruce Abbott (RE-ANIMATOR) and produced by Hollywood heavyweight Gale Anne Hurd (ALIENS), whilst featuring a screenplay from DIE HARD's Steven E. de Souza, it is no wonder that BAD DREAMS became one of the most popular slasher classics of the 1980s... and 88 Films is proud to present this work of gruesome genius in horrific HD! It might just stop you getting a good night's kip!"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th April 2018, 11:55 AM
Cult Master

Arriving July 16th - full specs now available!

One of the greatest modern horror films of all time and one of the finest achievements in contemporary Korean cinema is back on Blu thanks to 88 Films! Pilsung Yim's masterful adult fairly tale HANSEL AND GRETEL (2007) is one of the creepiest and most imaginative nightmares of modern Asian cinema and a terrifyingly effective adaptation of an old European fairy tale favourite. 88 Films is proud to present a killer special edition of this baroque and picturesque art-terror text book in spine tingling shocks!!

Audio Commentary with Director Pil-Sung Yim and Calum Waddell
Introduction by Director Pil-Sung Yim
Interview with Cinematographer Ji-yong Kim (A Bittersweet Life, Okja, The Age of Shadows)

Old 27th April 2018, 11:57 AM
Cult Master

One of the finest cult classics of the mid-1990s, HACKERS returns to UK shelves in a stunning BluRay special edition! Released in 1995 to widespread acclaim and starring the iconic, decade-defining superstar twosome of Angelina Jolie (TOMB RAIDER) and Jonny Lee Miller (TRAINSPOTTING), this crime thriller holds up as an essential and exciting thrill ride that looks beterr than ever in HD!

Old 27th April 2018, 11:59 AM
Cult Master

And finally for July... A real left-field treat!

The Shaw Brothers veered into outright fantasy territory with THE HUMAN GODDESS - and often hilarious and very timely look at the state of Hong Kong in the early 1970s! Released in 1972 to adoring audiences, and directed by the iconic Meng Hua Ho (BLACK MAGIC/ MIGHTY PEKING MAN) this is an oddball outing even by the estoric standards of 88 Films and our immortal Asian film line! Taking audiences back to an era of troubled romance, painful poverty and greedy land tycoons - all of whom have to answer to an angel (played by the gorgeous Shanghai-born Li Ching) who has been sent from heaven to look after the residents of the former British colony - THE HUMAN GODDESS holds up as a riotious viewing experience even today. A mash-up of several genres - from sex comedy to space-age optimism and even political satire - THE HUMAN GODDESS is one of the most astute Hong Kong movies of its decade and a must-see for anyone curious about the golden age of Hong Kong cinema! Only 88 Films could have brought this true obscurity back from the vaults in a stunning HD transfer that will surely win over a new generation of vixen-enthusiastic viewers.

Old 27th April 2018, 11:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
One of the finest cult classics of the mid-1990s, HACKERS returns to UK shelves in a stunning BluRay special edition! Released in 1995 to widespread acclaim and starring the iconic, decade-defining superstar twosome of Angelina Jolie (TOMB RAIDER) and Jonny Lee Miller (TRAINSPOTTING), this crime thriller holds up as an essential and exciting thrill ride that looks beterr than ever in HD!
Ha,ha - Jonny Lee Miller - an iconic decade-defining superstar.

Who writes this guff?

Still at least it will look beterr than ever.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ha,ha - Jonny Lee Miller - an iconic decade-defining superstar.

Who writes this guff?

Still at least it will look beterr than ever.
Despite his brilliant performance in Trainspotting and being part of great casts in Afterglow and Mansfield Park, I wouldn't go that far either. I hope that typo doesn't make it onto the packaging!

As for the releases, I have seen Bad Dreams, but it sounds like there's plenty going for it. Hansel and Gretel is likely to be one of those South Korean gems (I thought Sea Fog was excellent) and although I saw Hackers in the late 1990s, I thought it was great and will definitely add that want to my collection. The Human Goddess also sounds really interesting and I've yet to be disappointed by a film in the Asia Collection, so that's another purchase.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:10 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I bet Bad Dreams has none of the extras from the US disc.

Director’s Audio Commentary.

Dream Cast (HD, 22 min) — A collection of recent interviews with the cast talking about their involvement, performances and their respective characters.

The Original Ending 10 min)

Behind the Scenes (9 min)

Promo (4 min) — Vintage EPK piece with cast and crew interviews talking about the plot and production.

Promo (4 min) — Vintage EPK piece with cast and crew interviews talking about the plot and production.

Make-Up Effects (2 min) — Vintage interview with makeup artist/special-effects creator Michele Burke while showing various BTS footage.

Still Gallery,

Trailer.
Old 27th April 2018, 12:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I hope it's not a vanilla disc and 88 Films have the right to port over some of (if not all) of the extra features.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!