Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2012, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Top 10 episodes in order of preference:

1) Day of the Daleks (It was the first classic series episode I ever saw after receiving the VHS as a birthday present, at one point I used to watch it on an almost daily basis)
2) Inferno
3) Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (Not an episode but I still count it in the top 10 and prefer it over the original TV version)
4) The Caves of Androzani
5) Spearhead From Space
6) The Five Doctors
7) Earthshock
8) Remembrance of the Daleks
9) The Family of Blood
10) The Brain of Morbius
Nemesis likes this.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:59 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
I've only seen a couple of Hartnells so I couldn't put any on the list. (I know a lot like it but the Aztecs made me want to stop watching right then and there)
Many people regard 'The Aztecs' as being one of the best. Must admit that I am not a fan of the 'historical' stories, preferring the science fiction ones. However, 'The Aztecs' does raise possibly the most important part of Who-lore - "you cannot change history. Not one line".

I would urge you to continue with the Hartnell era because is possibly the most important one in the history of the show, setting out the whole mythos of the character. It's also interesting to note how in the early stories, the 'hero' of the show seems to have changed over the years. The character of The Doctor was a confused old man, while it was Ian who was filled with daring-do and both he and Barbara had a lot of scientific/historical knowledge, due to the fact that they were teachers

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th May 2012, 10:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ok then
Hartnell The Daleks (this shows how capricious the doc can be in pursuit of his own aims)

Troughton The Time Robber (a great villian, great set design etc)

Pertwee Green Death (the epitome of the Letts period, nasty corporations versus the people etc, the maggots terrified me as a child, now they look rather cuddly )

Baker, T Horror of Fang Rock (another childhood nightmare, watching it now it's like A Bay Of Blood in structure haha)

Davison Earthshock (had to get the Cybermen in here)

Baker, C Twin Dillema (JNT, how could you.....a chance to return to a more Adult Who....squandered. If i could kill him and Grade with the same bullet etc....)

McCoy i have to return to, cant base my opinion on the mere 5 stories i've seen.

McGann i would pick a BF story, just to be awkward but cant remember any of the titles

honourable mentions go to........ The Pirate Planet/Inferno/Two Doctors/The Ark/Revenge of the Cybermen/Dalek Invasion Of Earth/Tomb of the Cybermen.
Criterion7 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th May 2012, 10:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Many people regard 'The Aztecs' as being one of the best. Must admit that I am not a fan of the 'historical' stories, preferring the science fiction ones. However, 'The Aztecs' does raise possibly the most important part of Who-lore - "you cannot change history. Not one line".

I would urge you to continue with the Hartnell era because is possibly the most important one in the history of the show, setting out the whole mythos of the character. It's also interesting to note how in the early stories, the 'hero' of the show seems to have changed over the years. The character of The Doctor was a confused old man, while it was Ian who was filled with daring-do and both he and Barbara had a lot of scientific/historical knowledge, due to the fact that they were teachers
I want to give one a try but not sure where to start. I had thought about the Beginnings set but to be quite honest only the third story appealed to me. I liked the unusualness of it.

Any suggestions of Hartnell era that might win me over. To be quite honest the villain in Aztecs was what killed it for me.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I want to give one a try but not sure where to start. I had thought about the Beginnings set but to be quite honest only the third story appealed to me. I liked the unusualness of it.

Any suggestions of Hartnell era that might win me over. To be quite honest the villain in Aztecs was what killed it for me.
I'd recommend The Ark then.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th May 2012, 10:37 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
. The character of The Doctor was a confused old man, while it was Ian who was filled with daring-do and both he and Barbara had a lot of scientific/historical knowledge, due to the fact that they were teachers
I wouldn't say so really.

He wasn't confused when he plotted to bludgeon someone to death in the cave of skulls in his opening story. Nor his lies and manipulation to enable himself to get a good look around Skaro even though it put his companions lives in grave danger.

Ian was in the cast to be the action man and Barbara the quizical (viewer) question asker, but more often than not the Doctor manipulated and manouvered around his two earth companions, whilst they provided the action. It wasn't untill Jon Pertwee took the role and made the Doctor the action hero.

Hartnell played the role superbly, and yes he did fluff his lines due to evrything being filmed in one take, but to me that adds to his charm.

In many ways Colin Baker played a younger version of the first Doctor just as Matt Smith is playing a younger second Doctor on our screens now.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I'd recommend The Ark then.
The War Machines or The Dalek Invasion of Earth are very good if you want to avoid historical stories ()

I also really enjoyed The Space Museum. Its really funny.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I wouldn't say so really.

He wasn't confused when he plotted to bludgeon someone to death in the cave of skulls in his opening story. Nor his lies and manipulation to enable himself to get a good look around Skaro even though it put his companions lives in grave danger.

Ian was in the cast to be the action man and Barbara the quizical (viewer) question asker, but more often than not the Doctor manipulated and manouvered around his two earth companions, whilst they provided the action. It wasn't untill Jon Pertwee took the role and made the Doctor the action hero.

Hartnell played the role superbly, and yes he did fluff his lines due to evrything being filmed in one take, but to me that adds to his charm.

In many ways Colin Baker played a younger version of the first Doctor just as Matt Smith is playing a younger second Doctor on our screens now.
The comparision with Colin intrigues me since I am a huge fan of his Doctor both serials and audios as well.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The comparision with Colin intrigues me since I am a huge fan of his Doctor both serials and audios as well.
Both Doctors, whilst caring for their companions weren't terribly bothered about getting them into danger at the expense of the Doctors own curiosity.

Both Doctors didn't particularly want their companions in the first place but eventually grew fond of them.

Just a foot note to my previous post.

The first Doctors quote at the end of The Dalek Invasion of Earth to his departing granddaughter Susan has more raw emotion to it than a thousand Russell T Davies and Stephen Moffat scripts.

"During all the years I've been taking care of you, you in return have been taking care of me. You are still my grandchild and always will be. But now, you're a woman too. I want you to belong somewhere, to have roots of your own. With David you will be able to find those roots and live normally like any woman should do. Believe me my dear, your future lies with David and not with a silly old buffer like me. One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear"

[He dematerialises the Tardis, which vanishes. David and Susan leave, Susan dropping her key onto the floor.]
Nemesis, Demoncrat and Criterion7 like this.
Old 25th May 2012, 01:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Both Doctors, whilst caring for their companions weren't terribly bothered about getting them into danger at the expense of the Doctors own curiosity.

Both Doctors didn't particularly want their companions in the first place but eventually grew fond of them.

Just a foot note to my previous post.

The first Doctors quote at the end of The Dalek Invasion of Earth to his departing granddaughter Susan has more raw emotion to it than a thousand Russell T Davies and Stephen Moffat scripts.

"During all the years I've been taking care of you, you in return have been taking care of me. You are still my grandchild and always will be. But now, you're a woman too. I want you to belong somewhere, to have roots of your own. With David you will be able to find those roots and live normally like any woman should do. Believe me my dear, your future lies with David and not with a silly old buffer like me. One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear"

[He dematerialises the Tardis, which vanishes. David and Susan leave, Susan dropping her key onto the floor.]
I like that. I think my biggest problem with the early stuff was that Ian never engaged me the way Jamie, Sarah Jane, Harry Sullivan or Peri did.

Susan I immediately liked. I have a feeling I just need to find that one episode that wins me over or even that one scene.

I think every doctor has that defining moment where you are ready to be taken on that journey.

Like this? Share it using the links below!