Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th November 2018, 02:39 PM
Cult Master

Confirmation of a New Year special rather than a Christmas one

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th November 2018, 04:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 659

The sinister Chief Clown (Ian Reddington) from The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (1988)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg protectedimage.jpg (55.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 14th November 2018, 07:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As a cure for the dreadful season 11 decided to watch one of my favourite classic story's the talons of weng-chiang.

You really wouldn't see it today with the PC mad BBC.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I find Talons to be a remedy for most upsets tbh

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th November 2018, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
As a cure for the dreadful season 11 decided to watch one of my favourite classic story's the talons of weng-chiang.

Nope, you wouldn't. I'm glad to see that you've come to you're senses.

Is it those extra strong mints that brought you back from the brink?

Whilst that imposter thingy was on BBC Diversity, I watched Revelation of the Daleks. Oh Lord! How I miss Doctor Who. This coming Sunday, Frontios.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Likes all round.

I miss it too. It's worse now than when it was on off-air for 15 years, at least then there was hope they'd bring it back.
Old 14th November 2018, 10:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I watched Turn Left, The Stolen Earth and Journey's End last night.

We get nothing nowadays that comes close to those three episodes. Watching those three made this new series feel like Luke in the Tatooine deserts gazing into the night sky dreaming of better things .

Threat, action, great characters, tension, spine tingling moments....

If only.
hivemind likes this.
Old 14th November 2018, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A masterpiece and also the last masterpiece until City of Death two years later. Besides City I'm not really a fan of late 1977 - first two weeks (Horns of Nimon episodes 3 and 4 were 1980) of 1980 Doctor Who with just a few exceptions.
Old 14th November 2018, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
A masterpiece and also the last masterpiece until City of Death two years later. Besides City I'm not really a fan of late 1977 - first two weeks (Horns of Nimon episodes 3 and 4 were 1980) of 1980 Doctor Who with just a few exceptions.
A lot of fans, myself included, think Horror of Fang Rock, Image of the Fendahl and The Ribos Operation are near masterpieces.

I know you said when you reviewed them that you didn't rate them, s'why i said 'most' fans.
hivemind and Rob4 like this.
Old 14th November 2018, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched Turn Left, The Stolen Earth and Journey's End last night.

We get nothing nowadays that comes close to those three episodes. Watching those three made this new series feel like Luke in the Tatooine deserts gazing into the night sky dreaming of better things .

Threat, action, great characters, tension, spine tingling moments....

If only.
Jesus was that really a decade ago? I remember being in P6, my mum having bought me Destiny/Resurrection/Revelation/Rememberance of the Daleks (I'd already seen Genesis). Having seen those new ones whilst also refreshing my memory of Genesis, I was hyped up for the 2008 trilogy. The return of Rose, Davros finally making a modern appearance, the red Dalek Supreme (light years ahead of the newer Matt Smith ones in terms of look)

They were the days... It wasn't just the fact that the new ones were coming out, it was also the combination of the old ones, most of which I hadn't seen, which truly made it my own personal "Dalekmania".

The only other times I ever felt this excited for Doctor Who afterwards was when Enemy and Web returned to the BBC. I was excited for the 50th, but I watched Enemy beforehand for the first time and it blew The Day of the Doctor away. Likewise I loved The Web of Fear the following February (I had, based on Episode 1 and the recon, convinced myself that it would be the greatest Story ever made in the build up. It wasn't but it was still a masterpiece, especially Episode 4).

The Peter Capaldi Season finale was the other. Two Masters, classic cybermen... Amazing.

But I wonder (bar the return of an old Episode/s... Come one Phil give us Marco Polo!), will I ever feel that excited again? If the last six episodes are anything to go by then probably not

Like this? Share it using the links below!