Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2019, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watching Planet Of The Spiders

One last hurrah then. Earthbound for half, and the galactic Eastbourne that is Metebelus 3
Featuring Gareth Hunt, who is auditioning for Game Of Thrones a bit early, rather apt for a programme centred around time travel cough. Yes, I cannot watch parts, but it's DW so I perseveres . Surely that's not a regulation haircut Alistair??

"Here we go again ..."
Basically I think that the earth stuff is good, including the chase in episode 2, but that the stuff on the Planet of CSO drags on a lot.

Overall a good Story though, with a fantastic final few minutes. In terms of the classic Doctors, only Davison's regeneration can really match Pertwee's.
Old 18th June 2019, 05:07 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Snakedance – Part 1
Nyssa: Is this necessary?
The Doctor: Yes. We must recover Tegan's dream, and simple hypnosis is the quickest way.
Nyssa: But why must we?
The Doctor: Dreams are important, Nyssa. Never underestimate them. Once a man fell asleep, dreamt he was a frog. When he woke up he didn't know if he was a man who dreamt he was a frog, or a frog who was now dreaming he was a man.
Tegan: I'm still possessed, aren't I, Doctor. The Mara from the world of the Kinda is still inside my head somewhere, isn't it.
The Doctor: We'll have to see.
Tegan: But you think so.
The Doctor: It does seem likely. I'm sorry.
Tegan: But where?
The Doctor: Well, obviously below the threshold of conscious thought. I would imagine that when awake your mind is still strong enough to resist, but in sleep it loosens its grip and battle is joined.
Tegan: In my dreams?
The Doctor: Yes.
Tegan: The battle for what?
The Doctor: For control
Snakedance – Part 2
(A ceremonial helmet with a crest of five faces is on a display stand.)
Ambril: Now take this, for example. It dates from the middle Sumaran era and unusually is mentioned quite specifically in the Legend. Oh, there can be no doubt. The reference is to the Six Faces of Delusion. Now count. One, two, three, four, five. You will observe there are five faces, not six as the Legend would have it. Now, my point is this. I do find it quite extraordinarily difficult to take seriously a Legend that cannot even count accurately. Of course, artistically speaking, it's an entirely different matter. The piece is exquisite. An undoubted masterpiece.
The Doctor: What is it?
Ambril: Hmm? Headdress.
The Doctor: Try it on.
Ambril: What?
The Doctor: Try it on.
Ambril: Certainly not. Whatever for?
The Doctor: Please. I want to show you something, then I'll go and leave you in peace.
Ambril: Very well. (Ambril puts on the headdress.) Well?
The Doctor: Now, count the faces again.
Ambril: Do as he says.
Chela: One, two, three, four, five.
The Doctor: And one makes six. The sixth Face of Delusion is the wearer's own. That was probably the idea, don't you think?
Ambril: Get out! Go on, get out!
Snakedance – Part 3
Ambril: Well?
Chela: I've taken him food.
Ambril: He should be grateful. Was there something else, Chela?
Chela: I think he's harmless.
Ambril: Harmless? Of course the fool's harmless.
Chela: He is a doctor.
Ambril: Doctor? Of what? I'm sure the man has no academic standing whatsoever.
Snakedance – Part 4
(Dojjen sits opposite the Doctor, takes a small snake out of his bag and lets it bite his wrist. Then he hands it to the Doctor.)
Nyssa: Doctor, no. What are you doing?
The Doctor: I'm afraid we have no choice if we're to have any hope of saving Tegan.
Nyssa: But its bite could be deadly.
The Doctor: Yes, I do know.
(And he puts the snake to his wrist.)
(Ambril leads Lon, Tanha and a guard through the cheering crowd outside the cave, followed by local dignitaries.)
Dojjen [OC]: No, look into my eyes. You have come this far. You must not now give in to fear. Look.
The Doctor [OC]: It's the poison. The effect of the poison.
Dojjen [OC]: Fear is the only poison.
The Doctor [OC] Fear is.
Dojjen [OC]: Ask your question.
The Doctor [OC]: How, how can, I must save Tegan. It was my fault, so how, how can. Destroyed. How can the Mara? It was my fault.
Dojjen [OC]: Steady your mind. Attach to nothing. Let go of your fear.
The Doctor [OC]: What is the Snake Dance?
Dojjen [OC]: This is, here and now. The dance goes on. It is all the dance, everywhere and always. So, find the still point. Only then can the Mara be defeated.
The Doctor [OC]: The still point? The point of safety? A place in the chamber somewhere. Where?
Dojjen [OC]: No, the still point is within yourself, nowhere else. To destroy the Mara you must find the still point. Point. Point. Point. Point.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th June 2019, 10:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Basically I think that the earth stuff is good, including the chase in episode 2, but that the stuff on the Planet of CSO drags on a lot.

Overall a good Story though, with a fantastic final few minutes. In terms of the classic Doctors, only Davison's regeneration can really match Pertwee's.
Planet Amdram
That chase ... that's what dragged for me. The Professionals it isn't
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th June 2019, 10:40 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 73

Ann Davies as Jenny co-starred in The Dalek Invasion of Earth (1964)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p00y1yt6.jpg (87.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 18th June 2019, 11:05 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Released 23rd September. Season 23.

With all episodes newly remastered from the best available sources, this Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:

Extended edits – of all fourteen episodes
Terror of the Vervoids – four-part standalone edition with updated Fx
Immersive 5.1 surround sound & isolated scores – on all 14 broadcast episodes
Behind the Sofa – new episodes with Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, Bonnie Langford, Mark Strickson, Frazer Hines and Matthew Waterhouse
The Writers’ Room – Eric Saward, Philip Martin, Christopher H Bidmead & Waly K Daly discuss the ‘Lost’ Season 23
The Doctor Who Cookbook Revisited – brave cast members tackle their original recipes from the 1980s official cookbook
The Doctor’s Table – join Colin Baker and friends for dinner
In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to companion Bonnie Langford
Unseen studio footage
Rare archive treats
Convention footage
Blu-ray trailer
HD photo galleries
Scripts, costume designs & more in the PDF Archive
The six-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.
Old 18th June 2019, 10:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Dislike Trial - probably my least favourite season of the classic series - and I'm not buying these - not least because I can't afford them - anyway. The notion of a Trial-free standalone version of Vervoids is an intriguing idea - essentially giving Colin another standalone story free of the Trial format - but I doubt it will be enough to persuade me to fork out for this.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 18th June 2019, 10:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Trial is uneven, but as I only has it on the vhs ....

Watching Invasion Of The Dinosaurs with the comm this time. Peter Miles , Dicks, Franklin etc. Fun so far, Miles's anecdotes a treat.
A good story saddled with a poor reputation.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th June 2019, 11:31 PM
Cult Addict

Watched a few classic Dr Who tales recently.

The Web Planet - a bit naff, had a few good moments but overwhelmed by pantomime shenanigans, kept reminding me of the Mighty boosh.

The Power of the daleks - animation is pretty good, especially good at capturing the motion of the daleks in "action", less good at capturing Troughton's expressions.
Still a good story, bit routine but nice ending.

Face of Evil - Tom investigates a load of trouble that he himself set in motion but can't remember, (probably on the comedown or summin') , with a rogue computer and a new companion in the savage Leela, who is a bit of a handful and likes killing things and wearing very little.
First watch for this story and my favourite of the 3, but hey i grew up with Tom so i'm a bit biased.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th June 2019, 05:33 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Mawdryn Undead – Part 1
The Black Guardian: We haven't much longer. I need to know that I have your assent to our arrangement. You will find me the most accommodating of partners.
Turlough: But murder. I'm not sure I could go that far.
The Black Guardian: You will be destroying one of the most evil creatures in the universe. He calls himself the Doctor.
Turlough: Why can't you destroy him? You have the powers.
The Black Guardian: I may not be seen to act in this. I must not be involved.
Turlough: I need time to think.
The Black Guardian: There is no time. Yes or no?
Turlough: Don't send me back to Earth, please.
(Turlough begins to fade.)
The Black Guardian: Yes or no?
Turlough: Yes.
(Turlough vanishes. The Black Guardian laughs his deep, evil laugh.)
Mawdryn Undead – Part 2
The Brigadier: Do go in.
(The Brigadier puts the kettle on in the kitchenette. The Doctor picks up a framed photograph of the Brigadier in uniform.)
The Brigadier: Now then, what's all this about UNIT?
The Doctor: Brigadier, I need your help. I've lost the Tardis.
The Brigadier: I don't know what the Tardis is. I've already told you.
The Doctor: And you don't remember me?
The Brigadier: Certainly not. But whoever you are, I can't let you wander around blabbing about classified UNIT operations.
The Doctor: Oh, there's much more at stake than a breach of security. I've lost my Tardis, you've lost your memory. I'd be surprised if the two events weren't connected.
The Brigadier: Let me tell you, sir, that I'm in full possession of all my faculties. After all, if I was suffering from amnesia, I'd be the first to know about it, wouldn't I?
Mawdryn Undead – Part 3
The Doctor: Turlough, would you check to see if the transmitter's functioning? Tegan and Nyssa can use the beam as a beacon. If all goes well, the Tardis should reappear. Ah. Brigadier, quickly, think. Did you go into the Tardis with Tegan and Nyssa?
The Brigadier: I can't remember. Does it really matter?
The Doctor: Of course it matters. Can you imagine what would happen if you walked out of the Tardis in 1977 and met yourself in 1983?
The Brigadier: Oh, that's ridiculous.
The Doctor: It's not ridiculous, Brigadier, almost certainly catastrophic.
The Brigadier: What, do you mean that I could be two people?
The Doctor: Obviously. You'd exist twice over. And if the two of you met, you'd short out the time differential. Don't you see? The Blinovitch limitation effect? Oh dear. As Tegan would say, zap!
Mawdryn Undead – Part 4
The Doctor: You were infected when you carried Mawdryn into the Tardis. The journey to his ship would have made it worse.
Tegan: Infected? You mean their mutation is a disease?
The Doctor: Well, it shouldn't be. I can only assume their constant experimenting to correct their error brought about a viral side effect.
Brig '83: Well, why haven't we got it?
The Doctor: I don't know.
Nyssa: So we can't time travel.
Tegan: We don't need to. All we need to do is get the Tardis back to Earth.
The Doctor: That won't work. I've got to programme a temporal deviation to escape the warp ellipse.
Brig '83: Are we stuck on this ship?
The Doctor: I wonder. If I reverse the polarity of the neutron flow
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th June 2019, 09:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 74

Peter Myles as Nyder and Guy Siner as Ravon in the classic 1975 story Genesis of the Daleks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p00y0c1x.jpg (43.4 KB, 20 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!