Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2017, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Gotten these series as they all we're quite cheap and can't help adding stuff to my pile of shame. Would like too know peoples views on them as not seen any of them.

Medium
Ghost whisperer
Roswell
Dead zone
Tru calling
Roots
Gomorrah
Gomorrah is superb, dark and gritty, full of unsavoury characters. It's not an easy watch, there are lots of characters who go by both there real names and nicknames, and the language they use is Neaploitan which varies slightly from Italian, there have been reports of Italians needing subtitles. It demands, and deserves, your attention.

Stunningly brutal. Can't wait for season 3.
Old 18th January 2017, 08:21 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Gotten these series as they all we're quite cheap and can't help adding stuff to my pile of shame. Would like too know peoples views on them as not seen any of them.

Medium
Ghost whisperer
Roswell
Dead zone
Tru calling
Roots
Gomorrah
'Tru Calling' takes it's time to get going. I was disappointed until I was about 3/4 of the way thru the first series before it grabbed me, and then it was unmissable

If it's the original 1977 version of 'Roots', then it was groundbreaking when it was broadcast and was essential viewing. If it's the 2016 series, I cannot comment because I haven't seen it

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th January 2017, 08:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'Tru Calling' takes it's time to get going. I was disappointed until I was about 3/4 of the way thru the first series before it grabbed me, and then it was unmissable

If it's the original 1977 version of 'Roots', then it was groundbreaking when it was broadcast and was essential viewing. If it's the 2016 series, I cannot comment because I haven't seen it
not its the original and a show called roots the next generation and a movie
Old 18th January 2017, 08:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
How odd that Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss can use Iron Maiden and Queen in a soundtrack and it sounds really good but Argento made it seem ****ing horrible to say the least in Phenomena.
Steady on now

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th January 2017, 08:51 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Following the wonder that is Downton Abbey was never going to be easy, so i've decided on Mr Selfridge.

You know what? It's not bad. Admittedly two episodes out of four series isn't fare to make an overall judgement but so far i'm rather enjoying it. Jeremy Piven has great charisma as Harry Selfridge, a man who'll seemingly stop at nothing. Even putting one of those new airplane machines in his Oxford Street store to drum up publicity.

Good period detail, interesting characters and a good script (even though it's not a patch on Downton) ensure i'll be visiting the store again very soon.
I've seen the first series and really enjoyed it. I also thought the period detail, writing (by the great Andrew Davies), direction, and performances from the entire cast – particularly Jeremy Piven – all made it a much better TV show than I was expecting. I haven't found the time or inclination to rent and watch the second series yet, but will probably do so next year when I've finished my degree.
Old 18th January 2017, 09:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
If nothing else it has value for a pre-Hangover Zach Galafianakis.
trebor8273 and Deadite like this.
Old 18th January 2017, 10:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Steady on now
But it is true. At least in my mind also.

Since I acquired Twin Peaks for £10 from Tesco, that's what I have been watching....yes, the second series wavers severely, but it is still the greatest "ending" to any TV show ever. Screw the Sopranos/Lost/Breaking Bad/The Wire......and FIRE walk with me

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th January 2017, 10:35 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've seen the first series and really enjoyed it. I also thought the period detail, writing (by the great Andrew Davies), direction, and performances from the entire cast – particularly Jeremy Piven – all made it a much better TV show than I was expecting. I haven't found the time or inclination to rent and watch the second series yet, but will probably do so next year when I've finished my degree.
Next year? You'll need to rewatch the first series at that rate.
Old 18th January 2017, 10:44 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Next year? You'll need to rewatch the first series at that rate.
Probably, but I may be able to catch up.
Old 18th January 2017, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching medium and Roswell, mediums OK but really enjoying what I've seen of Roswell.

Like this? Share it using the links below!