Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2022, 09:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Watched ep 1 of The Boys last night. Wow, a good current show (so far!)! In a world where superheroes are real, and none more beloved than "The Seven", a young man's world is blown apart when one of them accidentally kills his girlfriend, and no one much gives a crap. His devastation and anger lead him to a mysterious man who begins to open his eyes to the fact that there's nothing heroic about these supes... I've heard of this show, but didn't really know what it was - I thought it was one of those Sons of Anarchy type shows, which isn't really my thing - but this was very funny, surprisingly dark and very entertaining so far.
You'll definitely want season two when you've finished the first, Ian.

A mate gave me them both for Christmas and i watched them straight through. Generally i watch a season then watch something else then go back but not in this case.

You'll never see a scene or image like the one below in the same light ever again. Guaranteed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c05f3fd0abe0ec35af1ed6010afdc5a8.jpg (91.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 26th August 2022, 09:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

You'll never see a scene or image like the one below in the same light ever again. Guaranteed!
Old 27th August 2022, 09:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Watched ep 1 of The Boys last night. Wow, a good current show (so far!)! In a world where superheroes are real, and none more beloved than "The Seven", a young man's world is blown apart when one of them accidentally kills his girlfriend, and no one much gives a crap. His devastation and anger lead him to a mysterious man who begins to open his eyes to the fact that there's nothing heroic about these supes... I've heard of this show, but didn't really know what it was - I thought it was one of those Sons of Anarchy type shows, which isn't really my thing - but this was very funny, surprisingly dark and very entertaining so far.
Enjoy the ride. The books are also worth reading imho.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th August 2022, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I was late watching this finished a week or two back, best thing is you don’t even have to like tv shows or films about superheroes, recently we’ve been getting odd thing here and there that’s about superheroes but not , and showing a different concept about them brightburn, kick ass now this, it’s twisted, but very funny and entertaining, shows you how far we’ve come from censorship because bits of this wouldn’t even be allowed in films years ago, fast forward yrs and now we watching it as if it’s nowt in a tv show, 10 min in series 3 episode 1 as a eg, I won’t give anything away. Enjoy I certainly did and I don’t entertain much superhero marvel and dc stuff.
iank likes this.
Old 27th August 2022, 12:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I recently watched Red Rose on BBC iPlayer. It's an eight episode series about some fifth-year/year 12 children whose lives are fundamentally changed when one of them, Rochelle, downloads the titular app and things quickly take a sinister turn.

It's a compelling series, a mystery-horror with some really suspenseful and emotional sequences. I watched it over three nights, but it's engrossing, the sort of thing you could binge watch in a day, and is highly recommended by me.

I then watched Marriage, also on iPlayer, a four-part miniseries from Stefan Golaszewski, the creator of the brilliant Mum, and starring Sean Bean and Nicola Walker.

Halfway through the first episode, I was struggling. Ian (Sean Bean) has more recently been made redundant and tries to find human contact by making awkward conversation with people only tangentially knows, such as a receptionist at the gym, and comes across as desperate and a bit creepy.

It begins with Ian and Emma returning from a holiday in Spain and bickering because Emma got chips with their airport meal when Ian wanted a potato. It soon becomes clear they really aren't arguing about a potato, but there is something else going on.

Ian's wife, Emma (Nicola Walker) is a solicitor with a really sleazy boss, yet she doesn't have the strength to tell him that his behaviour is completely inappropriate.

Their adopted daughter, Jessica (Chantelle Alle) is an aspiring singer with a controlling and abusive boyfriend, someone Ian and Emma secretly loathe.

Emma is also put upon by her widowed and lonely father, Gerry, who creates flimsy excuses to see her, even if this means disrupting plans she's made with Ian.

The interactions between Gerry and Ian, Gerry and Emma and, to a lesser extent, Jessica and her parents, are really awkward with pregnant pauses that seem to last an eternity – they are often just uncomfortable silences.

The whole situation is exacerbated by a historical trauma as both Ian and Emma are bereaved, initially only hinted at when they go to a cemetery and stand by a grave with a very small headstone and then sit on the bench nearby, grieving separately.

The awkwardness in the first couple of episodes is almost cringe-inducing and is quite tough going. I was tempted to give up, but I'm glad I didn't because things happen in the fourth episode which makes everything worthwhile with a really emotional payoff, and a lovely denouncement.

Old 28th August 2022, 09:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Max Headroom, ep 1. Intriguing start to this short-lived but influential late 80s cyberpunk sci-fi show. In a world ruled by TV networks, an intrepid reporter discovers that a new form of advertising developed by his own network could be fatal to some viewers - but may not live to tell the tale. Fascinating to see this again, it still feels very familiar even though it must be over 30 years since I last saw it.
Old 30th August 2022, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Finished season 1 of Watching. Really enjoying this show. It's nice that it still stands up as a warm and funny comedy. Emma Wray was very cute in the day too.
Old 1st September 2022, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

House M.D: Season 2

The Cast is back in a Season that was better than the 1st, loaded with brilliant Episodes and performances, with Hugh Laurie, again excelling in his role. In a way, I was amazed that the 2 part Episode that involved Foreman and his illness wasn't split as the Season Finale and Season 3 Opener.

Whenever I watch a Series on DVD. my initial intention is to watch it during gaps and as a time filler, as with others, I have now started to watch 2 or 3 at a time.

It's a curse lol
Old 1st September 2022, 09:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The new Lord of the Rings series is having mixed reviews to say the least.

Most have said it's basically dull as f*ck. Is this the case?

The Mail's Christopher Stevens says it's "Staggeringly bad".
Old 1st September 2022, 09:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The new Lord of the Rings series is having mixed reviews to say the least.

Most have said it's basically dull as f*ck. Is this the case?

The Mail's Christopher Stevens says it's "Staggeringly bad".
It's not out till tomorrow I think, will watch but expectations aren't high and they spent 1 billion on it!! Expect a prise hike on prime soon.

First two episodes of house of dragons has been good. When did Mat Smith get so buff?
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!