Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:56 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
There's loads of stuff that is really strong made before 2000, mainstream and underground. The book is way overhyped anyway as to levels of gore and violence. If Ellis hadn't have been the media's flavour of the month or serial killers the thing to make films about at the time, only a few people would have even heard of the book.

If you fancy something beautifully written and extremely challenging in serial killer fiction try 'Frisk' by Dennis Cooper.Frisk (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In terms of the 5 novels does it matter if you just jump in and read one randomly? I think I'd heard of this writer before but didn't know a lot.
Old 3rd December 2012, 07:39 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanmetal View Post
In terms of the 5 novels does it matter if you just jump in and read one randomly? I think I'd heard of this writer before but didn't know a lot.
I can't remember if I read them in order or not. Characters just drift in and out of the minimal story lines, I don't recall any over riding story arch.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
There's loads of stuff that is really strong made before 2000, mainstream and underground. The book is way overhyped anyway as to levels of gore and violence. If Ellis hadn't have been the media's flavour of the month or serial killers the thing to make films about at the time, only a few people would have even heard of the book.

If you fancy something beautifully written and extremely challenging in serial killer fiction try 'Frisk' by Dennis Cooper.Frisk (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've read a lot of Dennis Cooper myself I'd recommend him I enjoy his books but they are very dark and I'm sure would offend a lot of people.

I'd also recommend Jay McInerney, more for similar style to Ellis, well Ellis has similar style to him and for the 80's yuppy culture but not the violence I really enjoyed Model Behavior, Story of My Life, and Bright Lights, Big City.

I'm sure many people hate him but I did enjoy a lot of Chuck Palahniuk books, always fairly short but entertaining, although I haven't really enjoyed the later ones, last one i enjoyed was Snuff.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Quote:
I can't remember if I read them in order or not. Characters just drift in and out of the minimal story lines, I don't recall any over riding story arch.
Same here, I can't ever remember setting out to read the books in order. I think I had first read God Jr., then started to borrow more of his work, I may have got Closer first though as I did read them all, but I can't remember it mattering but I do remember getting slightly confused. If you plan to read them all I would go from the start just because.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:57 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Same here, I can't ever remember setting out to read the books in order. I think I had first read God Jr., then started to borrow more of his work, I may have got Closer first though as I did read them all, but I can't remember it mattering but I do remember getting slightly confused. If you plan to read them all I would go from the start just because.
Have you read The Sluts by Cooper? It's a hoot.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Have you read The Sluts by Cooper? It's a hoot.
I have read it but can barely remember it - I can barely remember anything at the moment though so that isn't strange. After all this talk of DC I think I might have to revisit his work.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I have read it but can barely remember it - I can barely remember anything at the moment though so that isn't strange. After all this talk of DC I think I might have to revisit his work.
Am still trying to find a cheap(ish) copy of the film of Frisk personally. TS I gave to a mate, which he read all the way through, but was noncommital about what he thought about it.

I like his very "blank" verse style. And you're right, his stuff is NOT for lightweights.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th December 2012, 01:01 AM
Active Cultist

I read that American Psycho has necrophilia in it so I shall be getting that soon. Anybody suggest any other good books with the subject in them?
Old 4th December 2012, 05:08 AM
Cult Addict

Got an advance copy of DEAD MAN RIDING EAST, the sequel to SWORDS FOR A DEAD LADY Swords for a Dead Lady eBook: Jim Webster: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
by JIM WEBSTER, anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre, and the works of jack vance in paticular should give his stuff a go!

I should admit here that he's a mate of mine so i'm biased but the books are good (DMRE is not released yet) the early copies of SWORDS had one or two issues (now fixed with some editing) but still worth a read if you have a kindle.
Old 4th December 2012, 06:15 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
I read that American Psycho has necrophilia in it so I shall be getting that soon. Anybody suggest any other good books with the subject in them?
'Try' by Dennis Cooper covers this and snuff films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!