All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2505Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2014, 10:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Doing a lot of alternating between various anthologies at the moment.
Attachment 135320
Reading Oh Whistle And I'll Come To You My Lad last night James' s original story upon which the BBC adaptations with Michael Hordern and John Hurt respectively are based.
His stuff still creepy imho. Enjoy!!!
troggi likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th May 2014, 08:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Inspired by the centenary of the beginning of the first world war I picked up a number of first world war diaries while I was over in the U.K. last month together with a copy of the Penguin book of first word war poetry.

I am coming to the end of Robert Grave's Goodbye to all that which we read at school just after he died (I guess around 1985 ish). I obviously wasn't paying much attention at the time - you can blame a girl by the name of Susan Thompson for that - as I remember very little apart from one or two paragraphs.
Old 9th May 2014, 09:31 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Just finished this collection of Lovecraft inspired stories. All pretty enjoyable, with at least three stories by well known occultists of a darker bent...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t9519.jpg (39.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 9th May 2014, 10:19 PM
Cult Addict

I picked up the first Black Wings anthology a few months back but I've not got round to starting it yet.
Old 9th May 2014, 10:26 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I picked up the first Black Wings anthology a few months back but I've not got round to starting it yet.
I've not read the first one but will be picking it up on the strength of the second volume I've just read.

I have also recently picked up "Don Quixote" after having a dream in which I had to pass a series of tests to become enlightened...the only test I can remember is to read "Don Quxiote". It seems quite fitting as the book is about a deluded old git!
troggi likes this.
Old 10th May 2014, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just picked up the mammoth book of slashers and the rum diary
troggi likes this.
Old 10th May 2014, 11:40 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
Just picked up the mammoth book of slashers and the rum diary
Sorry, wrong thread
Just finished marabou stork nightmares, which has now got me back into reading trainspotting
troggi likes this.
Old 17th May 2014, 09:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just started reading "Nemo: The Roses of Berlin" by the almost god-like Alan Moore and his sequential art buddy Kevin O'Neal. At first I was a little perplexed by the amount of German language which was untranslated, not good for a lazy sod like me who couldn't be bothered to learn another language, but I found this League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Nemo: Roses of Berlin annotations which helps enormously.

On a serious note, I can not reccomend "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" series and the "Nemo" spinoff highly enough. If you liked the film (why?) and thought "mmm! There must be more to this mythos" you'd be absolutely correct. At a cursory glance you'll see countless literary references but if you dig deeper you'll find a trove of outlandish and out-dated tomes and characters leaping out of the page at you (look at the url above if you don't believe me!

Monster Magnet
Old 18th May 2014, 10:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Currently reading Edmund Blunden's Undertones of War which is his autobiographical account of the time he served in the trenches during the first world war. Powerful, shocking and moving it lacks the bitterness and cynicism of many of the other "diaries".

And perhaps at the complete other end of the spectrum I have been dipping into my copy of Sheer Filth the latest publication from the wonderful Fab Press. It took some time to get here but it was worth the wait. The book collects together articles from the late 80's early 90's fanzine of the same time. In the present internet age we sometimes forget how important such publications were for those of us with tastes and interests that were away from the mainstream. Its good to see that Fab Press are given such publications the attention they deserve. Perhaps we might see other 'zines similarly collected.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th May 2014, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Just started reading "Nemo: The Roses of Berlin" by the almost god-like Alan Moore and his sequential art buddy Kevin O'Neal.

"mmm! There must be more to this mythos" you'd be absolutely correct. At a cursory glance you'll see countless literary references but if you dig deeper you'll find a trove of outlandish and out-dated tomes and characters leaping out of the page at you (look at the url above if you don't believe me!
Just finished and it's a bonzer! Just at first glance you get "Metropolis", "The Great Dictator", "The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari", "She" and "Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler"! A literary 19/10!
Demoncrat and Hawkmonger like this.

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!