Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

oaxaca 19th April 2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 75116)
"Cold Sweat" (Anamorphic widescreen) - £2 - Bronson!

"Nighthawks" - £1 - Stallone

"Dust Devil: Director's Cut"
- .75p!

"Trick or Treat" (1986) - £2 - METAAAL!!

:O I've never seen cold sweat!! Where did you get it from for that price, 42nd street?

vincenzo 19th April 2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 75116)
"Cold Sweat" (Anamorphic widescreen) - £2 - Bronson!
"Nighthawks" - £1 - Stallone

Nighthawks is possibly Stallone's best film for me. Excellent performance from the lovely Persis Khambatta (who tragically died way too young).

Cold Sweat is good fun too.

42ndStreetFreak 19th April 2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 75118)
:O I've never seen cold sweat!! Where did you get it from for that price, 42nd street?

All from the local 'Cex'.

gag 19th April 2010 05:48 PM

Im looking at the cex site now

in the bargains P60 emmanuel and the last cannibals... 25p... i know its only pennies but i realy just cant see. would like some 1 to have a look and give any 1 thoughts on it. dont want a totaly badly cut copy but dont mind if a few minor cuts

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th April 2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 75142)
Im looking at the cex site now

in the bargains P60 emmanuel and the last cannibals... 25p... i know its only pennies but i realy just cant see. would like some 1 to have a look and give any 1 thoughts on it. dont want a totaly badly cut copy but dont mind if a few minor cuts

I believe its cut by just under 2 minutes.

Aurora75 19th April 2010 09:13 PM

For my birthday from my girlfriend:

Hausu
Kwaidan
Mushishi
Kitaro

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2010 09:16 PM

I watched WHO DARES WINS yesterday.It looks great.
Great extras too ;anyone remember THE ELECTRIC THEATRE SHOW?
A half hour doc on the making of,an extended Euan Lloyd feature and the trailer.
BTW,The standard DVD is included in the Blu Ray box!

HALLOWEEN-Best I've seen it looking AND sounding.:nod:

uzumaki 19th April 2010 09:21 PM

Just snagged a copy of I'm A Cyborg, but That's OK on BD, woo!

vincenzo 19th April 2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 75162)
I believe its cut by just under 2 minutes.

Pretty heavy cuts really. The rape scene is heavily cut and shots of the naked woman's body being gutted (and her nipple cut off) are completely missing.

kingofwitches666 19th April 2010 11:20 PM

The Master Of Gore - HGL boxset (Odeon/Something Weird) - £4
Emanuelle And The Last Cannibals (Italian Shock) - £5.49
Ms. 45 aka Angel of Vengeance (Korean version) - £5.99
Demons 2 (Platinum Media) - £1
Black Belt Jones 2 (UK version) - £1
Blood Sabbath (Pegasus Entertainment ) - £1

Gojirosan 20th April 2010 09:07 AM

Oh yes!

Blood Feast (the Odeon/Something Weird one cos its uncut and "goes with" the Master Of Gore boxset, if you get me! Still keeping the Tartan release if only for the soundtrack option.)
Once Upon A Time In China trilogy boxset (the HK Fortune Star release, which is just gorgeous. Cheapest I could find it was £32, but I managed to snag it in an eBay auction for £8.58 inc P+P! :) )

gag 20th April 2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 75195)
Pretty heavy cuts really. The rape scene is heavily cut and shots of the naked woman's body being gutted (and her nipple cut off) are completely missing.

Cheers i know 25p mere pennnies but if its badly cut there no point then ..thanks

oaxaca 20th April 2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 75230)
Oh yes!

Blood Feast (the Odeon/Something Weird one cos its uncut and "goes with" the Master Of Gore boxset, if you get me! Still keeping the Tartan release if only for the soundtrack option.)
Once Upon A Time In China trilogy boxset (the HK Fortune Star release, which is just gorgeous. Cheapest I could find it was £32, but I managed to snag it in an eBay auction for £8.58 inc P+P! :) )

Is this a native HK release or a UK release? Its just havn't come across it at all. I figured the only UK release was the HKL one (which is excellent as usual!) :)

Gojirosan 20th April 2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 75237)
Is this a native HK release or a UK release? Its just havn't come across it at all. I figured the only UK release was the HKL one (which is excellent as usual!) :)

It's a HK set. I had read bad things about the HKL set and thought the design of the box looked shabby and cheap (as with a lot of HKL releases) whereas this looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

oaxaca 20th April 2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 75239)
It's a HK set. I had read bad things about the HKL set and thought the design of the box looked shabby and cheap (as with a lot of HKL releases) whereas this looks like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Yeah that looks like a neat set. I guess the early HKL designs were a bit poor (inc. once upon a time in china 1), with that weird border they had. The later releases were a lot better looking though I thought. And the picture quality/extras (especially the Bey Logan commentaries!) have always been superb.

Gojirosan 20th April 2010 10:20 AM

I particularly like that the box is a thick, solid box! Not like the Rizla thin cardboard you get on most UK boxsets.

I haven't seen these films for AGES! Looking forward to a good Wong Fei Hung sesh later in the week.

Right! Off to order The Butterfly Murders!

oaxaca 20th April 2010 11:40 AM

Purchased:

Fortress (chris lambert sci fi cheese! Directed by horror legend Stuart Gordon) £1 cex
A Prayer for the Dying (80's mickey rourke) £2 cex
Tombs of the Blind dead 1+2 ABUS from forumer, g053584398 :thumb:
Crimson rivers 1 (Cassell & Reno - what a combo!!) cex-favour off a mate
Heart of Dragon (rare-ish jackie chan HKL found on cex website for 3quid wahey!)

sgt harry 20th April 2010 04:47 PM

today i bought

today i bought
the house by the cemetery [arrow] 4 notes
right at your door[2008]/[german steelcase issue] 7notes
band of brothers [complete steele boxset] 10 notes
and last ECWs one night stand w/t barely legal bonus disc [ECWvsWWE] 12notes but worth it

pedromonkey 20th April 2010 04:59 PM

i have the HKlegends release of the Once upon a time in China set and it cost me £3.00, i haven't checked it out yet but i can't imagine It being that bad...

oaxaca 20th April 2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 75286)
i have the HKlegends release of the Once upon a time in China set and it cost me £3.00, i haven't checked it out yet but i can't imagine It being that bad...

You got the whole trilogy for £3?? Lucky git! lol

Its a great set. Brilliant picture quality, all new subtitles, tonnes of extras. I'm a huge HKL fan, they were easily the best UK Asian action cinema distributor. They seemed to put so much effort into each release.

pedromonkey 20th April 2010 05:11 PM

i got it in work, it actually cost me 2.50 as it was in a 4 for 10.00 deal, it was when we dropped all our trade in prices because we were overloaded with stock so they wanted us to get shot of wht we already had. HKL were indeed a great company it's very sad that they're no longer around, i try an pick them up when can, the last ones i got were from the magazine that was released. I picked up Prison on Fire 1+2 and Island on Fire, but my best HKL bargain was A Chinese Ghost Story special edition for £4.00...

oaxaca 20th April 2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 75291)
i got it in work, it actually cost me 2.50 as it was in a 4 for 10.00 deal, it was when we dropped all our trade in prices because we were overloaded with stock so they wanted us to get shot of wht we already had. HKL were indeed a great company it's very sad that they're no longer around, i try an pick them up when can, the last ones i got were from the magazine that was released. I picked up Prison on Fire 1+2 and Island on Fire, but my best HKL bargain was A Chinese Ghost Story special edition for £4.00...

Thats really good! CGS1 is pretty expensive these days!! I'm chuffed I managed to get Heart of Dragon from cex webby for £3 earlier. I'm eying up Dragon Lord of a certain forum member too but I'll never afford Dragons Forever (£18 on cex website!! :ohwell:)

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th April 2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 75230)

Is that the one with the ink washed silk cover? That's the one I have and it's lovely to the touch :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th April 2010 08:49 PM

Picked up THE BOX and THE FOURTH KIND on Blu Ray from ASDA today.

Sargento 21st April 2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 75337)
Picked up THE BOX and THE FOURTH KIND on Blu Ray from ASDA today.

Oh good Lord Reaps!!! Hope they weren't impulse purchases :eek: Mind you however much I didn't like The Box ... it was miles better than The Fourth Kind :ack:

Sargento 21st April 2010 07:20 PM

Bought

IRON MAN

on blu-ray the other day

To be honest I was a little underwhelmed with the audio on the TruHD soundtrack ... sounded very reserved in places. The gunfire sounded muffled or difused, the car crashes too. Odd really for such a blockbuster. Maybe I have been spoiled by DTS HD Master audio. :(

The picture was stunning tho!:nod:

Gojirosan 21st April 2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 75309)
Is that the one with the ink washed silk cover? That's the one I have and it's lovely to the touch :lol:

Yeah, that's the one!

I have just come home to:

Mausoleum (Dark Vision)
John Carpenter's Vampires

and earler today I got the following on VHS from various charity shops:

Fireball XL5 (ITC)
The Exterminator (Intervision/Alpha Video big-box)
Shark (the Sam Fuller/Burt Reynolds film!!! Woohoo!!! Video Gems) :D

bdc 21st April 2010 09:54 PM

Nice ones!
I wonder if there's a difference between the Dark Vision and Dead of Night dvd of Mausoleum?
I've got the Dead of Night.

Gojirosan 21st April 2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 75524)
Nice ones!
I wonder if there's a difference between the Dark Vision and Dead of Night dvd of Mausoleum?

I don't know! I'm just going to make some tea and watch it. It's a full-screen from VHS transfer.

42ndStreetFreak 21st April 2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 75524)
Nice ones!

Are these uncut? I know the pre-cert VHS was cut during one of the 'toothy chest' kills.

vincenzo 21st April 2010 11:37 PM

I have the Dead Of Night DVD but haven't watched it as yet. Believe it's uncut but not 100% certain.

The BCI release which I also have (mainly for Blood Song) is definitely cut.

mbv 22nd April 2010 07:28 AM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Bluray arrived:bananasuit:

Also picked up these in Gamestop for a tenner
Event Horizon
The Terror
Buried Alive
Bucket of the blood/The Ghoul/House on Haunted hill

Gojirosan 22nd April 2010 08:33 AM

Re: Mausoleum on Dark Vision

I think it's identical. The reverse of the sleeve says in the small print, "Under Distribution Licence From Sovereign Multimedia Ltd.", Sovereign are the only company who have submitted Mausoleum to the BBFC in the DVD age, so I presume they are behind Dead Of Night and Dark Vision's releases.

Very good quality for a VHS transfer (at 1080i), just a shame the full-screen unmatting reveals, for example, the rig for the levitation of the aunt! And as I can't upsample AND change the TV's aspect ratio, I could only watch it zoomed in at 16:9 in 576p, which did not look so good! But still OK.

Really could do with a wash and brush up, this film.

Gojirosan 22nd April 2010 09:10 AM

Seems there's a dearth of Dead Of Night releases! Mausoleum turned up in a Dark Vision version and Massacre At Central High just turned up in a 23rd Century version!

I wish Amazon Marketplace dealers were a little clearer about what they are selling!

:lol:

bdc 22nd April 2010 09:53 AM

An ideal matting for Mausoleum would possibly be 1.66:1?
Just to obscure the effects and leave as much gore visible as possible.
I hate it when the matting is too tight and actually prefer a lot of movies open matte (like The Evil Dead which wasn't supposed to be matted)
Curious about a review Goji!

Gojirosan 22nd April 2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 75594)
An ideal matting for Mausoleum would possibly be 1.66:1?
Just to obscure the effects and leave as much gore visible as possible.
I hate it when the matting is too tight and actually prefer a lot of movies open matte (like The Evil Dead which wasn't supposed to be matted)
Curious about a review Goji!

Yeah, you're probably right. The crop is a bit too fine at 1.78:1. 1.66:1 might do it!

I fell asleep before the end*! So there'll be a review up later, when i've seen it all. :D

*Nothing to do with the film, I'd had a crazy day!

vincenzo 22nd April 2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 75585)
Massacre At Central High just turned up in a 23rd Century version!

I have the 23rd Century DVD, mainly for the original (and totally misleading) artwork! Not a bad film though.

darthelvis 22nd April 2010 12:18 PM

As I'm away to move back to Aberdeen, I decided to visit Hogshead and Cult Fiction one last time.

Picked up:

Boogie Nights Platinum Series R1
Magnolia Platinum Series R1
Mario Bava Collection Vol 1 (Only £10)
Don't Open the Door/Don't Look in the Basement R1 DVD
Hell of the Living Dead (BU) R1 DVD:banana:

nekromantik 22nd April 2010 05:59 PM

Just picked up Three Extremes 2 for £4.50 at Head.

I enjoyed the first one.

pedromonkey 23rd April 2010 02:32 PM

payday today and had a bit of dvd spree, here's what i got....

CEX

Pale Rider - 2.00
The Beast (war film) - 1.50
Bridge on The River Kwai - 1.00
Fistfull of Dynamite special edition - 2.00
Gone in Sixty Seconds (1974) - 1.00
Hedwig and the Angry Inch - 1.50
House of Wax (vincent price) - 1.50
Long Weekend (original) - 1.50
Mona Lisa - 1.00
G.I samurai (chiba) - 2.00

this came to 15.00

Amazon

Touch of Evil - 3.69 (Heston/Welles)
Andromeda Strain (original) - 4.23

Cash Generators

Driller Killer - 3.00
V for Vendetta - 3.00

Blockbuster

(3 for 12.00)
Survival of the Dead - 5.00
Primevil kill - 5.00
Dead Wood - 5.00

Manhunt - 2.39-discount (horror flick from norway)

no more dvds as im nearly broke...