Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2011, 02:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched a few films over the last 2 days...

Dark Of The Sun: OMG why haven't Warners given this a proper bloody release, brilliant film, pretty violent for the time it was made with a great don't give a **** performance from Rod Taylor with support from Big Jim Brown and the ever watchable Kenneth Moore, my only problem, the version i watched was chopped to bits towards the end and became quite Jarring, Brilliant Jaques Loussier Score and Jack Cardiff fantastic direction looks like he channelled Robert Aldrich. Anyways, a fantastic old school action film...

Satan's Baby Doll: utter trash, just rubbish. didn't find anything remotely enjoyable about this, the reinserted scenes that shameless put back in add nothing and due to the quality of the scenes really doesn't mix well with the pretty good remaster of the film. Not one of Shameless' best.

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage: Argento's debut, a wonderfully envisioned exercise in tension and Hitchcockian asthetics. Good central performance from Tony Mussante, a very under used Suzy Kendall and some truly atmospheric scenes. To be honest the film kept me guessing about who the killer was, much like the first Scream film did. Is the aspect ration on the Arrow blu wrong because the film looked a little stretched. Anywhoo, bloody good film.
Old 24th September 2011, 02:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post

Dark Of The Sun: OMG why haven't Warners given this a proper bloody release, brilliant film, pretty violent for the time it was made with a great don't give a **** performance from Rod Taylor with support from Big Jim Brown and the ever watchable Kenneth Moore, my only problem, the version i watched was chopped to bits towards the end and became quite Jarring, Brilliant Jaques Loussier Score and Jack Cardiff fantastic direction looks like he channelled Robert Aldrich. Anyways, a fantastic old school action film...

Satan's Baby Doll: utter trash, just rubbish. didn't find anything remotely enjoyable about this, the reinserted scenes that shameless put back in add nothing and due to the quality of the scenes really doesn't mix well with the pretty good remaster of the film. Not one of Shameless' best.

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage: Argento's debut, a wonderfully envisioned exercise in tension and Hitchcockian asthetics. Good central performance from Tony Mussante, a very under used Suzy Kendall and some truly atmospheric scenes. To be honest the film kept me guessing about who the killer was, much like the first Scream film did. Is the aspect ration on the Arrow blu wrong because the film looked a little stretched. Anywhoo, bloody good film.
DARK OF THE SUN got shown on tv years ago and got complaints about racism, well in the tv listings anyway(isn't it the one with a racist baddie, and Rod Taylor kills him in bloody but censored way at the end?) But yeah I'd like to see it uncut. If that's the one anyway.
Old 24th September 2011, 03:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
DARK OF THE SUN got shown on tv years ago and got complaints about racism, well in the tv listings anyway(isn't it the one with a racist baddie, and Rod Taylor kills him in bloody but censored way at the end?) But yeah I'd like to see it uncut. If that's the one anyway.
yeah that's the one, i can see where they were coming from in regards to the racism, The bad guy is a former Nazi and wears a swastika, so he's quite against taking orders from Jim Brown. It's Taylors show but the gorgeous Yvette Mimieux shows up and gives the film a slightly more humanistic quality.
Old 24th September 2011, 03:18 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post

Pedromonkey: try "Malabimba:The Malicious Whore" it's the film "Satan's Baby Doll" is a remake of, and quite frankly pisses all over SBD, which is just plain shite.
Old 24th September 2011, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Saw Burke and Hare. Apart from a few laughs, I found this film to be too short and a bit pointless
Old 24th September 2011, 04:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

My graphics card burnt out last weekend and I've only just received a new one and successfully installed it. This has meant I've been mostly without a computer for a week (except through work).

No computer has meant that I've been able to watch a lot more films than I usually would have:

True Grit (2010) - I wanted to see this being a fan (to some extent) of the Coen's . Didn't enjoy it much, to be honest.

The Abominable Snowman - Hugely under-rated Hammer classic starring the always brilliant Peter Cushing. The new Icon DVD is pretty decent, too.

Midnight - Great choice for a release from Arrow (I love it when companies dig up these obscure nostalgia inducing horror gems!). The print is certainly rough around the edges, but this is to be expected from a film like this. More like this please Arrow!

Pieces - One of my favourite slasher films ever. Very nice DVD from Arrow, although I would have happily had one of my arms chainsawed off for a Blu-ray version!

The Legend of Hell House - One of my favourite 'Haunted House' movies. I'd only seen this on a portable before, so watching it on a big screen with the surround sound cranked up was a real treat.

The Haunting - The second of my 'Haunted House' double-bill, I can first remember watching this when I was quite young and the trap-door bit of the spiral staircase scene making me jump. I've since watched it numerous times, and that particular scene remains one of my favourite scenes.

Giallo - I wanted to to watch this again, as I was still undecided on whether I 'liked' it or not after my initial viewing. No doubt it's extremely muddled, and with a very rushed, anti-climactic finale; I think I've mentioned this before, but ironically it doesn't play out much like a giallo either (except in the literal sense of the word ), more a dull, plodding slasher. I've seen worse, but it's certainly not Argento's finest hour - I'd say it was on par with The Card Player.

Laid to Rest - Second time I've seen this. My original opinion still stands: Really decent modern slasher film with some very well constructed visual and make-up effects, a gripping story, and an interesting killer. Still not a big fan of that ending, although less bothered now I understand that there is a sequel. Need to see that.

Hatchet for a Honeymoon - Pure brilliance. A lot of Bava fans don't seem to rate this, although it's on of my favourites.

I've also started going through the 'Gold Box' of Twin Peaks again...

It's surprising how much of your free time the internet eats up! I've also been buying less films due to the enticing lure of e-shopping being removed... I'm sure that will change now, though!
bdc and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 25th September 2011, 01:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched midnite spares an Australian 80s film about a gang of car thiefs
I quite enjoyed this think its a underated gem of a film..
Old 25th September 2011, 09:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I went to an all nighter triple bill of the Female Prisoner films at my local cinema (Rio, Dalston) courtesy of Cigarette Burns Cinema and these chaps: Scala Forever.

Well it was amazing to see these beauties on the big screen with a hardcore bunch of all nighter peeps.

The films were absolutely fantastic and I loved them all, but the first: Scorpion impressed me the most and I can't believe that Nicolas Winding Refn wasn't in some way informed by it before he made Bronson.

Jailhouse 41 went down a slightly more eccentric, surreal route, but also had a big impact.

And in retrospect I think that Beast Stable was probably the oddest of the bunch. Opening with the heroine running through the crowded streets of Tokyo with a severed arm handcuffed to her was a masterful stroke of 'Eh?'.

Feeling pretty knackered though as my little boy didn't want me to have any sleep - he woke me up an hour after I got back at 7am

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 25th September 2011, 11:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Saw STRAW DOGS on ch4 last night, looked intact, how times have changed. The thing is... I don't know if I like it as much I used to, like am I the only one to find the West country baddies stereotypes, and as for the young tarty 'Janice' victim, holy farmers daughter batman, but great final reel though. Just my opinion.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:07 PM
Active Cultist

I watched Paranormal Activity 1 & 2 last night, and I don't really see why people don't care for the second one. I liked it a lot more. The first one had its creepy moments and everything, but I had a lot harder of a time taking it seriously. The second one suffered from the same thing, but the second one also took the things from the first movie that were creepy and made them a little more over the top. But that's what I felt like worked the best in the film, the over the top creepiness put me on edge. Plus, it just felt more effective because as soon as I saw the baby I knew he would be the target. I have a tough time seeing babies be put through anything in horror films, so that increased the effect by a large margin for me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!