Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179634Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2013, 06:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Voodoo Man (1944)
Bela Lugosi has lone women kidnapped from their cars, so he can transfer life from them into his dead wife. Good little chiller with the women walking around as zombies and dressed like the brides of Dracula.

The Skull (1965)
Well, Christopher Lee did warn Peter Cushing to get rid of the skull didn't he? Some people just don't listen. Classic horror fun from the Amicus House.
Old 24th September 2013, 06:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Neds,

Great film. Extremely well written and brilliantly acted by all involved. Sad and depressing at times but ultimately you'll stick with it to the very end. For me the last scene was just jaw dropping. Generally I don't deviate too much from my favourite genre, horror, but I'm glad I did in this instance.
Old 24th September 2013, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Black magic rites

Absolutely demented euro horror that plays like a fevered sexual nightmare. Set in a gothic castle somewhere in the Italian alps, plot and character development take second place to surreal imagery, satanic rites, Vampirism and lots of grubby sex euro-horror style. The soundtrack is excellent, the opening sets the pace....

I can't help imagine this is something like EQUESTRIAN VORTEX from the Berberian sound studio would have been like. Amazing use of color and rapid editing make it a difficult film to get into but an ultimately rewarding one imo.

(it looks the dogs b******s on Blu-ray btw!)

The Living dead girl

As you can tell i'm still going through those redemption blus one by one. Not seen this one before but glad I watched it. A bunch of fly tippers decide to stick some cans of toxic ooze in a crypt, while their at it they decide to do a bit of grave robbery, as Barry Norman would say 'and why not'.

An earthquake tips over some of the waste and reanimates a young girl who swiftly dispatches the grave robbers in a bloody and brutal fashion that would not seem out of place in an Italian splatter flick. She gets ups and begins to wander through the countryside then through her ancestral home.

Her old love turns up on the doorstep and quickly tries to clean things up. She's hoping the whole being dead thing is an inconvenience and that the blood and flesh of the living might bring her back to normal.

Despite the gore on display, Living dead girl is a very lyrical and beautiful piece of cinema. Perhaps not as surreal as some of his films the tragic obsession of the woman for her dead love is well played and the ending is genuinely haunting and very well executed. Like all the Redemption Blus it looks great.
Excellent double bill there keirarts!

I love Black Magic Rites - though I prefer it's alternate title The Reincarnation Of Isobel.
troggi likes this.
Old 24th September 2013, 08:37 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

FROM DUSK TIL DAWN III. Like the first one with more cowboy hats, and by "like the first one" I mean shit.
Wes, troggi and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 24th September 2013, 11:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The wonderfully quirky "King Kong Escapes" (1967) with the poor inbred son of Kong and his his sister, Kongaliza," who smelled like haddock and only wore clothes on Sunday if the Vicar came to tea!

The beautiful Mie Hammer fails to rescue anything in this laugh out loud farce and Mecha Kong should have been melted down and used for Vimto cans!

Loved every second and every gimmick the film threw at me, especially the Gerry Anderson type models! 17/10 for sheer audacity!

Monster Magnet
Old 24th September 2013, 11:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Neds,

Great film. Extremely well written and brilliantly acted by all involved. Sad and depressing at times but ultimately you'll stick with it to the very end. For me the last scene was just jaw dropping. Generally I don't deviate too much from my favourite genre, horror, but I'm glad I did in this instance.
Is that the sequel to 'Nads?
Old 25th September 2013, 12:22 AM
Cult Addict

devilsw.jpeg

Devils wedding night.

I think Demdike posted this as a still on the 'Guess the movie game' thread and when i saw the still of a nude woman covered in blood rising from a tomb i thought hey that looks right up my alley, ahem!
Anyway, i must say i really enjoyed this. The print on the DVD is really bad (totally scratched to f*ck) but still this sort of reminded me of the days when the only way to see obscure bizarre horror items was via bad VHS 9th generation passed on copies.

The plot (if you can call it that) concerns two twin brothers,one of which goes in search of a mystical ring and ends up at the castle of a vampire woman who is trying to resurrect her lost love Count Dracula by performing a black mass using 5 local virgin women.
The first brother is turned to the dark side and the remaining one goes in search of him and becomes involved too in the ensuing supernatural shenanigans.

All of this involves dodgy 70's non acting, bad editing and a trippy lesbian drugged up sequence.
And i have to say i really enjoyed it, in my mind this was a so bad it's good film.
Obviously the trippy sequence and 5 topless virgins did their trick!, i'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

I watched it with the Elvira inserts which i thought actually detracted from the film, she presents a show that shows dodgy films and shows absolutely no understanding of why anyone enjoys bad films in the first place. (she comes across as showing contempt for the film).
The only reason for watching her is to see what her show was like and i was not impressed, sure i wouldn't have kicked her out of bed (this was during the 80's) but i'd rather not have to listen too her.
Well i'm rambling( blame the booze), but like i said i enjoyed this for stupid enjoyment and a few atmospheric scenes. 7/10

Also love the wording on the cover, 'Satan is coming', oo-er missus.
Old 25th September 2013, 01:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Red Room.

Four people enter a competition where they play a 'king' game in a red room, the winner gets 10 million yen. The person who draws the king gets to order two of the other contestants (by number so they don't know who it is) to do whatever they want. What starts with mild and silly torment gets progressively nastier as the film goes on and is really nasty viewing. Its not overly gory just really f*****g twisted with a nasty streak a mile wide. That said, those with a taste for edgier, more transgressive material might want to seek this out.
Having seen this, I completely agree.

Quite the vile movie. Didn't really enjoy it, as it just felt like nastiness for the sake of nastiness.
troggi likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 25th September 2013, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatched Mystics In Bali for mates benefit.
He was quite taken aback by some sequences, which I liked as he is no stranger to the cinema of the strange...still reeling from his choice Anak Ni Zuma....etc.

Oh, and watched the rather twisted Pinku Entrails Of A Virgin. Erotic isn't the word...

Also tried to watch Uncle Jess' Downtown, but fell asleep. Will try again tonight!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th September 2013, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

GESTAPO'S LAST ORGY - I'm not an expert on 'Nazisploitation' films, but I've seen a few. Most of them are pretty lame, despite the absolute cynicism of the sub-genre. 'Ilsa' still remains pretty cool - there's a weird hysteria about it - but most of this shit is quite dull and grating IMO. GLO is maybe a semi-exception to this rule, with a lack of tedious WW2 padding and a free flowing supply of fairly bleak depravity. It's the cold, sad details that get you, like the pants made from a human scalp and a bunch of Nazis bragging about the fact they're eating a baby.

DEVIL FETUS - A HK take on the era of US special effects based horror from 1983. It features demon shagging, pleasingly bad gore effects and a dog who tries to get a bit of upskirt action at a disco. Unfortunately, it also features the (real, I assume) mutilation of said dog's carcass and the absolutely abysmal onscreen killing of an eagle, so I can't condone or recommend in any easy sense, but, hey, I have copy and I made the decision to watch. Apart from the saddening animal murder aspects, I dug this lunatic melange of various semi-digested and regurgitated horror hits like 'The Evil Dead' and 'Poltergeist', fragments of which are thrown about for cheap spectacle then tossed in a pot with bits of folklore. Fave scene involved a bout of worm vomiting at the inane but insane disco frequented by aforementioned sleazy hound.

FASCINATION - From Jean Rollin. I'm a fan, and I usually find the atmosphere of his films utterly enveloping, regardless of how little happens, and, for that matter, regardless of how often twin vampire chicks get nekkid and get it on. This isn't my favourite of his, but it has that mystifying and entrancing atmosphere in abundance. A thief hides out from the buddies he double crossed in a gothic chateau, where ... well, the plot isn't important, Rollin's films aren't about that, they're about images - Brigitte Lahaie doing a grim reaper number, close ups of mouths relishing blood, a long, slow pan across a row of ravening faces.

SOME GUY WHO KILLS PEOPLE - A second viewing. I didn't quite take to it as much as I did on first viewing, but still I liked its genre sidestepping mix of feel good, relationships based comedy drama and slasher movie, especially because of the obvious ingenuity involved in getting such a ludicrous hybrid to work. Kevin Corrigan is stranded in, and desperately humiliated by, the small town he grew up in, and he's oppressed by just about everyone from the jocks he went to school with to his hate-filled mother (great turn from Karen Black). Fate smiles when he gets chance to reunite with his long lost daughter - but hang on, isn't he a vengeful serial killer? Well, I might know jack about what really makes 'good' or 'bad' cinema, but SGWKP is charmingly quirky, is well made and, whilst it didn't set me on fire, is definitely worth a look for those who haven't seen it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!