Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2018, 09:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Samurai Nightmares ..... in a damaged genre

"... it's not the side effects of the co-caine ... I'm thinking it must be love .. "

Joe Marshall returns from exile in order to remind people how to grimace with their eyes. A tonic for folks who miss Andy Sidaris etc. Sadly the only tits on show are speaking the dia. LOGUE!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th November 2018, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)

Nice to look at is probably the best thing you can say about this version of the classic Robert Louis Stevenson story.

Although never the scariest tale, this take from Gone with the Wind's Victor Fleming is more romantic escapade than dark fantasy. Spencer Tracy takes on the Jekyll and Hyde mantle and is in truth totally miscast. His transformation from Jeckyll to Hyde basically involves ruffling his hair a bit and scowling in the mirror. The less said about Ingrid Bergman as prostitute Ivy the better. Miscast isn't the word for it.

Fleming's film isn't so much a movie of the book it instead ends up being a direct remake of the classic 1932 version of the film which starred the far better suited Fredric March and Miriam Hopkins in the lead roles and is a film much more worthy of your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr_-jekyll-and-mr_-hyde-1941-mgm.jpg (91.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th November 2018, 10:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Horror Hospital 1973.

Jason is advised to go away for a holiday, he goes to a health farm where its run by Doctor Storm who is using his guests for mind controlled experiments.

This is a cheesy campy british horror starring Robin Askwith (Timothy from the confession movies) as Jason, Michael Gough stars as the creepy Doctor, his performance is good as he describes everything he has done. Ellen Pollock is the doctor's assistant who seems to have little remorse for the guests. Skip Martin (Masque of the Red Death and Vampire Circus) stars along side as the little (no pun intended) assistant and Vanessa Shaw as the niece of Aunt Harris and new love interest of Jason.

This wasnt a very big budget movie, and the creature effects looked like cardboard that been glued on to the body and blood looked liked Jam, the background score does have the gothic tone which blends in well but still a good enjoyable movie with its noticable flaws. 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAIN.jpg (34.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 13th November 2018, 06:21 AM
Cult Addict

The night comes for us.

The plot, such as it is is wafer thin. A former Triad enforcer tries to find redemption by betraying his bosses and saving a young girl. As a result every Triad is set on hunting him down and killing him.
Currently on Netflix, this Indonesian martial arts epic has a lot of people who worked on The Raid movies. The whole film feels like they watched the films they have made up to now and decided there wasn't enough violence. As a result we get a film that's part martial arts flick and part splatter movie with levels of violence on display that would make the story of ricky feel restrained. People lose limbs, get limbs carved off, repeatedly stabbed, shot and inventively mutilated in bone crunching fight scenes. The violence is dialled up to 11 and then some.This films strength lays in the fact its probably the most hardcore, no nonsense martial arts flick you will see this year (possibly of the last decade or so in fact) and best of all if you have netflix you can watch it right now.

Do that.

Seriously its incredible.
Old 13th November 2018, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Showgirls.

Nomi(Elizabeth Berkley) hitches a ride to Las Vegas with dreams of making it as a showgirl, but starts out working at a sleasy lap dancing joint run by a James Bond baddie. eventually though she gets a job in a chorus line and ends up in a bizarre sort of love triangle with Gina Gershon and her boyfriend(Kyle Maclachlan, that chap out of twin peaks).

i have to say that i quite like Showgirls. yes it's trash and camp and with over the top acting, but it is certainly entertaining, well shot, funny, and never boring. and would honestly rather watch something like this than the garbage that comes out of Hollywood nowadays, especially the endless superhero crap.

And i have to say that Paul Verhoeven is a great director who at least has the balls to make films like this and stick two fingers up to political correctness.

Definately a flawed movie for sure, and featuring an hilarious sex scene were Berkley flaps about like a seal in the pool. but will still give it a solid 70 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg showgirls.jpg (73.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 13th November 2018, 04:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Ship 1980.

A cruise ship collides with a mysterious vessel, a band of adrift survivors board the vessel, the captain seems to be slowly possessed and the vessel has a dark secret.

This was a interisting little chiller from the high seas, George Kennedy plays the up and coming retiree Captain who seems to be forced to captain the dark vessel. Richard Crenna plays Marshall who will take the Captain's spot when he retires and bound to keep his family alive. Saul Rubinek in his first early role plays the entertainer who's jokes are not appreciated by ghosts.

This wasnt a hide behind a pillow/cushion or behind the sofa type movie, the plot is reasonably simple and moves at a good pace, it can be bizarre at times, the acting was good even to the end. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main.jpg (20.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 13th November 2018, 05:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Was it prime you watched it on?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
No. But am sure it's on there . Truly jaw dropping. Wiseau's in it. Cough.
ENJOY!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th November 2018, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The night comes for us.

The plot, such as it is is wafer thin. A former Triad enforcer tries to find redemption by betraying his bosses and saving a young girl. As a result every Triad is set on hunting him down and killing him.
Currently on Netflix, this Indonesian martial arts epic has a lot of people who worked on The Raid movies. The whole film feels like they watched the films they have made up to now and decided there wasn't enough violence. As a result we get a film that's part martial arts flick and part splatter movie with levels of violence on display that would make the story of ricky feel restrained. People lose limbs, get limbs carved off, repeatedly stabbed, shot and inventively mutilated in bone crunching fight scenes. The violence is dialled up to 11 and then some.This films strength lays in the fact its probably the most hardcore, no nonsense martial arts flick you will see this year (possibly of the last decade or so in fact) and best of all if you have netflix you can watch it right now.

Do that.

Seriously its incredible.

Noted then!!

keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 13th November 2018, 05:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hotel Artemis.

Sue me ... I liked it. But am getting fed up with undemanding scripts. Nothing new at all here but does every film have to be The Fountain??

Well then I should just watch that I suppose
Jodie Foster and Dave Bigbuggerista man a "special" A&E dept. Dystopian backdrop. Charlie Day really annoys.

Searching (2018)

New Sulu's daughter goes missing. Like Unfriended I thought this actually worked betterer on the pc. Not a FF film, though some elements creep in at the end. Reasonably entertaining. Do not watch trailer!

[B]
Old 13th November 2018, 05:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
No. But am sure it's on there . Truly jaw dropping. Wiseau's in it. Cough.
ENJOY!!!
Is the disc region locked? I only ask because it's one I've been meaning to get

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!