Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2020, 12:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I agree regarding Kylo Ren. Utterly abysmal. I think the only ones that rate him are those that fancy Adam Driver.

As for The Rise of Skywalker. I doubt i'll ever see it.
Its worth a watch. Still better than the dreadful Solo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 10th May 2020, 12:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Its worth a watch. Still better than the dreadful Solo.

You said it was a mess.

I hated the last one, it was a total travesty.

I enjoyed Solo though, so i can see we are on differing wavelengths here.
J Harker likes this.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:34 PM
Cult Addict

Solo just bored me to tears. Rise isn't boring. Just messy and illogical.

Old 10th May 2020, 12:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Taking place 20 years after the second movie , Damien as well as being head of Thorn industries has just be offered is father's job of ambassador to great Britain setting the final piece for his plan of world domination, but those pesky daggers have been found and are in hands of seven murderous monks. But that's not the worst of it as astronomical signs so that the son of God is about to be reborn . Damien also finds love/ lust with a tv presenter, but at times it's hard to tell if he's more interested in her or her son. While not quite as good as the other films it's still enjoyable . The one thing I don't understand is in the other films all seven daggers are needed to kill him while here one will do the job. 7/10

Now watching The Great Escape perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.
Old 10th May 2020, 05:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Darkman (1990)

Sam Raimi's first foray into genre films following Evil Dead one and two is an absolute joy. Taking inspiration from Grand Guignol and classic Universal monster and gangster movies as well as classic literature such as Phantom of the Opera, Darkman is a triumph. Liam Neeson takes the lead role and is perfect in it. Neeson's a big guy so has the natural physique for an avenging angel / superhero role as we've seen in later years but here he also carries off the tragedy in style as shown in his love affair with Francis McDormand.

You can still tell Darkman is a Sam Raimi movie, ideas and motifs from his Evil Dead movies remain and at times the screams and deaths of characters come over all Bruce Campbell, and the effects are memorably gloopy, but on the whole it's a more serious film than any of the Evil Dead ones.

It's also great to see Raimi allowed a budget for a movie as he certainly knows how to get the best out of one especially the thrilling finale which culminates in a twin helicopter stand off and chase above the streets of Los Angeles.

As the end credits rolled one question really hit me hard. Why the hell in thirty years have i only just seen this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51ccafTx-EL._AC_.jpg (29.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 10th May 2020, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Phantasm: RaVager. 2016.

Reggie still doing battle with Tall Man and searching Mike in one dimension after a release of a plague, in a another dimension Reggie is suffering dementia and The Tall Man is a fragment of his imagination just as it was Mike's imagination.

I wouldn't say this was a disappointing end to the series but could have been a bit better, Don Coscarelli only took on the writing job and David Hartman took the director's chair for this. This one went right back to being point horror rather being a comedy horror and added in more blood splatter, we can thank the makers for that idea. Bill Thornbury returns in a small role as Jody and Gloria Lynn Henry from the third film returns as Rocky. Downside to it is the end credits show some deleted footage that surely could have kept in the movie and decent ending soundtrack. R.I.P Mr Tall Man.

MV5BNDZhMDVjNGMtNDUwNC00NzdhLThjM2UtMzc2Yjg0ZWQ4MzdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNDI3OTA@._V1_.jpg
Old 10th May 2020, 06:44 PM
Cult Master

Raising_cain.jpg

The wife of a child psychologist is growing ever wary and suspicious of her husband when he starts acting erratic especially around their young daughter. She feels that rather than a doting parent his interests in the child seem abit more scientific. But this may all be in her head after an ex lover shows up out of the blue so maybe she is just picking holes in the man that is the perfect husband and father just to justify her desires to have an affair with her ex.

Raising Cain is an enjoyable film a story of betrayal and the fragile mind of a man that has created multiple personalities to cope with the horrors of his childhood. John Lithgow is by far the stand out in this film from the wimpy Carter to the sadistic Cain and the scared child Josh all performed beautifully by Lithgow. As horrible as his antics are you can't help feeling for him other than the Cain side of him of course. Not my favourite De Palma film but still entertaining

7/10
Old 10th May 2020, 06:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Finally got round to watching Arrow's An American Werewolf In London.
It looks and sound rather spiffing eh?

A classic which has easily stood the test of time.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th May 2020, 07:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The one thing I don't understand is in the other films all seven daggers are needed to kill him while here one will do the job.
Yeah, that has always seemed strange. The best way of looking at it is this.
The seven daggers are supposed to be used in the form of a cross with the centre dagger the one that extinguishes physical life.
The other daggers extinguishes spiritual life.
So when Damien was stabbed by one dagger it extinguished his physical life, therefore killing the Anti Christ in body. By using only one dagger the ritual was not completed correctly and so even though the physical body on Earth was destroyed the soul of the Anti Christ actually lives on.
Old 10th May 2020, 07:27 PM
Cult Master

The-Glass-Key-1942-Poster.jpg

Paul Madvig is a widely known crooked politician who has decided to change his ways and go straight conveniantly during middle of an election campaign . After closing down a few club belonging to a dangerous gangster who pays him a visit to convince him to back off and leave him reopen his businesses. Being the cocky person Madvig is he doesn't take too kindly to threats and he refuses to play ball but thats wont be the end of it and he is framed for murder in order to derail his chances of election.

Another great film noir featuring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake the chemistry between these two always steals the show. Ladd is fantastic as Ed Beaumont the friend and assistant to Madvig he is the one taking the risks and cleaning up the mess that has been left behind by his boss. When Janet Henry comes on the scene (Lake) both men fall in love with her but Beaumonts loyalty to his friend stops him from getting involved.

With plenty of twists you are constantly in suspense right up until the end. Beautifully acted shot and written The Glass Key is an absolute pleasure to watch.

8/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!