Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2020, 05:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They're Watching (2016, Micah Wright/ Jay Leder)

Rather cheeky FFer. Follow Home Hunters as they do a "follow up" on a renovation project in darkest Moldovia. The 3 person crew make friends with the locals, and it all turns out pleasantly ...... LF
I was really annoyed with one character, but the ending made me want to rewatch it again hahaha. Still not quite up there with Noroi of course. I do like these, so if you want to take this as a recommendation, you can ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T.jpg (95.3 KB, 6 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th September 2020, 05:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I like the poster art, it sounds interesting though too, so I might try and give it a go!
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th September 2020, 05:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Have fun!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th September 2020, 07:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

71gB7W3IrwL._AC_SL1200_.jpg 06.jpg
BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1969)............. A BRIDGE TOO FAR (1977)

Two anniversary movies watched on the 15th for BATTLE OF BRITAIN and the 17th for A BRIDGE TOO FAR.
BATTLE OF BRITAIN was the first movie I ever saw at the cinema. Fantastic stuff. A BRIDGE TOO FAR is just bloody awesome. One of my big WWII interests is Operation Market Garden. I can't pass a book on Arnhem without buying it!
Old 18th September 2020, 11:58 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Now You See Me (2013)
I like both of the Now You See Me films – I think they are sharply directed and move along with a good pace which, for me, was that misdirection to keep me swept up in events and so the dénouement came as a surprise.

I've recently finished the Dekalog films for the first time, watching two a night. I thought they were brilliant, a masterpiece of filmmaking and storytelling. Because the stories slightly interlink and there are few characters who appear in a couple of the films (once in the main role and a second time as a cameo, and vice versa), I think I'll keep it out until I have a fairly empty day and will watch all 10 back-to-back to see how that viewing experience compares.

Last night, I watched the extra features, a really long interview with Tony Rayns and listened to the 1990 Q&A session with Krzysztof Kieślowski which added to my desire to do a 'marathon' viewing of the film series.

I finished that and, for a change of tone, watched Mystery Men. It's a really well judged superhero spoof film, one with a great cast ((Ben Stiller, William H. Macy, Hank Azaria, Greg Kinnear, Janeane Garofalo, Paul Rubens, Geoffrey Rush, Eddie Izzard, Lena Olin, Clare Forlani, Tom Waits), a very well written and funny screenplay by Neil Cuthbert, and engaging and energetic direction from Kinka Usher.

It neatly pokes fun at superhero tropes, such as the superhero Captain Amazing and his alter ego, Lance Hunt, being identical apart from Hunt wearing glasses and no one suspecting they might be the same person. With the 'gang on a mission' narrative device, it's almost like a spoof on the Avengers films well over a decade before they were made! I hadn't seen this in about 15 years and had forgotten how much fun it is, so am glad I bought the 88 Films Blu-ray release because it looks and sounds superb.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 19th September 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 18th September 2020, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sense and Sensibility (1995)

Whilst this is obviously a good film with an excellent cast i really struggle to love Jane Austen.

I haven't read any of her works so cannot comment on them but her adaptations are so wordy especially when compared to the likes of Dickens and Elizabeth Gaskell (Both of whom i do enjoy very much). Sense and Sensibility seems to be no different. I know that come tomorrow morning all i'll recall about this film is a group of women twittering poetry to one another or crying over repressed lost loves rather than any sort of larger scale story.

Now, had Jess Franco directed it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sense_and_sensibility.jpg (16.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th September 2020, 02:57 AM
Cult Addict

Sensuality and shagability i'm guessing if it was Franco, and all the more agreeable too.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th September 2020, 03:00 AM
Cult Addict

Starring Alan Dickman and Huge Grunt...

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th September 2020, 02:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

“Scary Stories to tell in the Dark”

Like a cross between Stranger Things and Urban Legend. Kids find a book that writes the stories they are most frightened of, then brings the stories into their reality. Decent, but I felt it could have been scarier, and the humour detracted from the scares.

“The Bloodstained Butteryfly”

I love a giallo. The style, the music...the convoluted-ness. This one reminded me of “12 angry men”. It even used the part in 12 angry men where they noticed the tell tale marks that the witness wore glasses which she had tried to conceal with make up - demonstrating that her eyesight isn’t 20/20 and she might have made a mistake in her identification of the accused. Decent movie, but it was a bit tame on the on-screen violence which left it feeling a bit weak.

“Insidious”

I’ve seen this before and really like it. Only watched the first ten minutes last night. I find this film really scary! I switched it off and then lay in bed with my eyes open, scanning the shadows and listening for bumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th September 2020, 02:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Driver (1978)

An ultra-cool neo-noir thriller from Walter Hill that although a flop on it's release has since influenced directors such as Michael Mann, Nicolas Winding-Refn and more recently Edgar Wright who unashamedly admits Baby Driver was based on this.

Set on the night time streets of downtown L.A. the film is bathed in a delightful hue of greens and yellow's and i freely admit i love these settings. Starring Ryan O'Neal as the driver and Bruce Dern as the detective, the movie has in the scenes where they meet. A feel of Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef's meeting at the army camp in The Good the Bad and the Ugly in it's laconic coolness. "I could torture you but you wouldn't tell me anything so what's the point".

However it's the car chases which make this film a classic, shot the old fashioned way with cameras strapped to the in and outside of cars, the chases, of which there are several lengthy ones, are the star of this movie and become a proper in your face driving experience thanks to classy direction and photography from director Walter Hill and his crew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheDriverPoster.jpg (21.6 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!