Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2020, 07:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD (Fulci)

Lots of Lovecraft in this one Evil Clergyman, the town of Dunwich) but not really anything to do with HPL (though Fulci was a fan), a priest hangs himself & opens the Gates of Hell, a reporter & Catherine McColl must stop it.

About as much logic as Evil Dead but the ATMOSPHERE!!!!!! Fog shrouded streets, maggots galore! One of Fulci's best & another one I have numerous copies of.

Lovecraft Country? Hollywood P.C. Bull$hit! Give me City any day!
Perfect grindhouse zombie fare!

House, Beyond & ZFE lined up for the rest of the week!
Old 14th September 2020, 07:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Babysitter: Killer Queen

Traumatised by the events of the first film, our protagonist agrees to go to a lakeside party to avoid the issues at hand. Ooops!
I haven't laughed as much since Happy Death Day 2 tbh. It's terrible but since I'm also revisiting Happiness later, I needed something to lighten the mood
I really enjoyed the first but this really seems too be very poor.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 14th September 2020, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Babysitter: Killer Queen

Traumatised by the events of the first film, our protagonist agrees to go to a lakeside party to avoid the issues at hand. Ooops!
I haven't laughed as much since Happy Death Day 2 tbh. It's terrible but since I'm also revisiting Happiness later, I needed something to lighten the mood
I enjoyed the first one, but can't remember what happened so I might watch it again and then watch the terrible sequel apparently the 3rd film has been green-lit already
trebor8273 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th September 2020, 09:00 PM
Cult Veteran

Tonight I watched the amazing nostalgia trip that is The Goonies, in wonderful 4k HDR and it looks amazing haha. As ever though that first 30 minutes is a struggle, all 4 of those kids just yelling over each other, but as soon as they lose Chunk it gets so much better - I loved it

Good enough
For you is
Good enough
For me
Is good enough
It's good enough for me
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Hey You Guys!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th September 2020, 09:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Tremors: A Cold Day in Hell (2018)

A breezy monster movie with likable characters, fun dialogue and plenty of action.

What were the producers thinking though, filming this in South Africa when it's set at an Arctic polar research station?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tremors-A-Cold-Day-in-Hell-2018-movie-poster.jpg (101.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th September 2020, 09:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Battle of Britain (1969)

"Never was so much owed by so many to so few"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (32.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th September 2020, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

There's a brilliantly amusing scene in Battle of Britain.

During the midst of the German blitz on London an old man staggers into an air raid shelter looking dazed and confused.

"They got the Rose and Crown" he exclaims as if his entire life had been taken away from him.

A woman nearby laughs and cries out - "He'll have to drink at the Red Lion now".
Old 16th September 2020, 08:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kill Squad (1982, Patrick G Donahue)

Should have been called Kick Squad, as nearly everyone in the film can fight () ahem.
A man is wronged, so he calls on his ol' army buddies to right that wrong with the help of the ol' chop socky. The dialogue is somewhat pricelessly delivered BY ALL. Plus the bad guy is ... Cameron Mitchell (looking quite sober and compos etc)
REWATCH!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O.jpg (90.1 KB, 3 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th September 2020, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Queen

Film about the Royal Family's reaction to Princess Diana's Death. Helen Mirren, Michael Sheen and James Cromwell star.

Not usually a fan of this sort of thing but I really thoroughly enjoyed this, Mirren is amazing, Sheen is brilliant (Love him in Prodigal Son BTW) but Cromwell steals the show especially the lines regarding people sleeping in the streets mourning someone they haven't met and they say we're mad. Mind you there were some good funny lines.

Can't help thinking that they had a point regarding some of the OTT reactions from the general public though.

No Retreat, No Surrender 2: Raging Thunder

Sequel in name only, where Loren Avedon travels to Thailand where he's accused of murdering his abducted fiancée's family. He flees, hooks up with his friend and Cynthia Rothrock and they travel to Cambodia where they go up against a Russian Army Unit led by a maniacal Matthias Hues. Really enjoyed this, it's not going to win any major Action or Writing Awards but it delivers in Action and some really violent scenes as well.

Can't help wondering whether EIV pulled a VIPCO and took a film called Raging Thunder and added the No Retreat, No Surrender title for name value.

EIV were one of my favorite VHS Distributers in the 80's and 90's

Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves

Story telling the story of Robin Hood and his battle against The Sheriff Of Nottingham. Kevin Costner plays Hood well, Morgan Freeman has a under-rated role with some funny lines but it's Alan Rickman as The Sheriff Of Nottingham who is the star of the show an absolute master class of acting. Not sure if his scenes and lines were written before or after he agreed to star in this. He made it so effortless.

I believe that this is the best Live Action Robin Hood film also a 10 year old me at The Cinema was quite surprised at the hand chopping scene at the beginning. I actually thought you saw it in great detail but it appeared that my eyes deceived me on that one lol. You certainly don't see that in PG Films.

Bill & Ted Face The Music

Utter crap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tq.jpg (10.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg nrnsrt.jpg (16.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rhpot.jpg (13.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg batftm.jpg (12.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 17th September 2020, 02:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Now You See Me (2013)

Wow, quite possibly the most ludicrous, implausible and least realistic movie i've seen in years. Now You See Me makes the Marvel universe seem like a grittish kitchen sink drama from Mike Leigh.

The most bonkers thing about this glitzy magic / heist movie with a fantastic cast is despite all the absurdities it's still a lot of fun, however the minute you start to think about events you realise what a load of bollocks the last 110 minutes were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51x82ymWEyL._AC_.jpg (27.0 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!