Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2021, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Police Story: Lockdown. 2013

A terrorist looking for the release of a prisoner takes a policeman, his daughter and others hostage in a nightclub.

Aside from having Police Story in the title this has nothing to do with the other previous films except having Jackie Chan in it, did he tone down the comedy in this as there seems to be no comical bits except for the usual outtakes at the end. It does have the good action fighting scenes and more proper serious action tone to it. I watched it before but really didn't enjoy it but after a second viewing it I actually enjoyed it.

MV5BMTUwODUyNDM3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk0MzA2NTE@._V1_.jpg
Old 6th November 2021, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hell Comes To FrogTown. 1988.

After a nuclear war and almost the male population is wiped out, scavenger Sam Hell a very high virile man is assigned to rescue some women who have been taken prisoners by humanoid frogs.

Good old Rowdy Roddy Piper makes a appearance next to Sandahl Bergman in the post apocalyptic future where man are scarce and somehow people have been turned to frogs. Hell has some fishes that seem active, she coaks him to be active yet electrocutes his clackerbags when he becomes over active. The acting is not at it's best, it's more comical than it should be, daft, cheesy yet entertaining.

MV5BMTg3Mjg2ODQ0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzg2Mzg4._V1_.jpg
Old 6th November 2021, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Captain America. 1990.

American soldier Steve Rogers suffering polio goes under a new experiment during WWII to become a super soldier battles a enemy called The Red Skull. Racing to Germany to stop a rocket launch, Steve is frozen and wakes up 50 years later and seeks to battle with Red Skull again.

I'm sure we all love the superheroes movies including the ones today, but we can't forget this one that was directed by Albert Pyun, we can't blame him. Ronnie Cox who starred in this said "it was the finest script he ever read, how those guys messed it up we will never know" maybe meaning the producer Menahem Golan which is probably why it looks low budget. We got Ned Beatty, Darren McGavin in it, Michael Nouri and Matt Salinger in this so they may have asked for a big pay check and we know how messed up Cannon can get with ideas for films and take out money for one film to place in a another film. This is one of those films you can only watch every so often.

Poster_for_the_1990_Captain_America_movie.jpg
Old 7th November 2021, 01:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Q: The Winged Serpent. 1982.

A giant flying lizard starts to attacking random people in New York City.

Nice stylish B movie from Larry Cohen with some old fashioned stop-motion effects,to be honest I do prefer these stop motion effects better than CGI, in some movies and as long as they don't go over board. The acting isn't that bad from Michael Moriarty who is able to know where it's nest is, yet the size of the flying monster shouldn't be that hard to find. 80s entertainment never dies.

Long Live The 80s movies, I need to cool it on the coffee.

movieposter.jpg
Old 7th November 2021, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A autobot ship is found on the dark side of the moon which could help the autobots in there war when another Prime is discovered, but they are soon betrayed by this Prime who teams up with Megatron too restore cybertron at the cost of earth. Spock himself voices the evil Prime which gives a link too the animated movie. Enjoyable if too much Sam and not a enough Optimus Prime. Not seen the other two movies yet but this seemed a good place too end the movie's.

The first part in one of the best trilogys of all time, brilliantly brought too the screen by Peter Jackson it really does look like Middle Earth come too live , stunning looking sets and locations , the 4k release has too be one of the most stunning looking releases and a wonderful atmos soundtrack. A classic. Extended edition .

Now watching.

Once I've finished all three going too watch all the extras including all the commentaries which think is 3 or 4 for each film.
Old 7th November 2021, 09:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombie. 1964.

A novelist joins his publisher on a expedition to a island of voodoo, where a cancer researcher is turning the tribes people in zombies.

This was made in 1964 but not released until 1971 and re-named I Eat Your Skin, the running time was 93 minutes yet why did it feel longer? the acting is not the best, make up effects for the zombies are different but they do seem to have some intelligence by hiding behind bushes at the right time. I honestly do not know if this will be a re-watch, if so won't be anytime soon.

zombie-1964-horror-movie-film-del-tenney.jpg
Old 7th November 2021, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mine (2016)

What starts out as a gripping modern war film slowly becomes bogged down in flash backs as my interest in this story of a US sniper stuck in the desert on his own with one foot on a land mine awaiting rescue that is at best 72 hours away, gradually ebbed away.

At 107 minutes this felt like it was half an hour too long or at least should have taken a less maudlin turn in it's final third
Old 8th November 2021, 05:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Both just as epic and enjoyable as the first , two towers with the collapse of the fellowship Frodo and Sam make there way to Mount Doom and encounter Golem who says he will show them a safe way , but they are captured while Aragorn and co must defend the fortress of helms deep from a massive army of orcs and goblins, while Gandalf has returned from the dead more powerful , the return of the king , The final battle for middle earth begins , Aragorn finally embraces his destiny to become king. Sam and Frodo make are getting closer too destroying the ring but the ring his having a terrible effect on Frodo and betrayal is in the air.

Both films looks stunning with some fantastic and epic battles . Granted some people thought return had too many "endings" but saying that I would of liked to have seen the death of saruman as it was in the book, he didn't die at the tower but escapes with wormtounge too the Shire and with the help of the Sackville Baggins quickly takes over and enslaves the hobbit people but he is over throwing when Frodo and Co return , wormtounge still kills saruman when he insulted one too many times and so slits his throat!

The point of these films to me has always been that even the smallest and weakest of us has the power to change the world.

Up next The Godfather part 3, but dont know if I should watch the original version of the Coda cut.

Last edited by trebor8273; 8th November 2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 8th November 2021, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Revolt Of The Zombies. 1936.

An expedition is sent to Cambodia to stop a serum being used that can turn people into zombies.

This seemed to have something good going for it, set during WWI, someone has developed a mind controlling serum and puts it towards what they think is good use. It did have some mild adventure, but half way through/towards the end it fizzles out more into a drama, romance that changed the tone of the film and become less interesting for me.

p46889_p_v10_aa.jpg
Old 8th November 2021, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Vampire Over London. 1952.

A mysterious figure known only as "The Vampire" wants to control the world by a mind control machine he has created with a robot.

A bit of a homage That Bela Lugosi played as Dracula, here he plays the sinister "Vampire" character but with no fangs and seems determined to control the world and plans to test it on a robot that wasn't delivered to him. Odd ball film that shouldn't be taken seriously and seen as a comedy with some laughs. Arthur Lucan plays the sweet old Mother Riley who seems to get into every comical predicament there can be and manages to keep everyone entertained.

51aYPfyAV6L.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!