All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The Godfather, in 4k, what a film, what else can I say? Take the cannoli!
But leave the gun
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd March 2022, 01:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Bloody Bloody Bible Camp (2012)

Very silly modern take on the 80's slasher genre in which a satanic nun terrorizes a bible camp out in the back woods.

Despite it's very low budget the film has some good practical gore effects, loads of T&A and also manages to blag a horror 'name' in Phantasm's Reggie Bannister as the religious camp leader (you can take those last three words any way you want as they all work).

So if you want cheap thrills, gore galore and some crazy dialogue, Sin, as it's called in the UK, might just be the film for you.

Oh, and did i forget to mention? Ron Jeremy plays Jesus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster-780.jpg (93.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd March 2022, 03:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600kkk.jpg
MAGIC (1978)

Another movie I had not seen in ages, in fact I forgot most of what was in it!
There are some really good creepy scenes in this, involving 'Fats' the doll.
The "is it alive or not" thoughts running through your head as Fats watches out of the window or his eyes are watching or moving.
Good performance by Anthony Hopkins.
Old 23rd March 2022, 03:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 239523
MAGIC (1978)

Another movie I had not seen in ages, in fact I forgot most of what was in it!
There are some really good creepy scenes in this, involving 'Fats' the doll.
The "is it alive or not" thoughts running through your head as Fats watches out of the window or his eyes are watching or moving.
Good performance by Anthony Hopkins.
I've never seen this. Wondered about it from the Second Sight sale at the moment as a blind buy. I take it you recommend it, Dave. Is it Gothic horror or very much 'modern day'.
Old 23rd March 2022, 04:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's very much a modern day Psychological horror.
As I had not seen it in a very long time, the movie kept me guessing all the way as I forgot how it ended! And yes, I do recommend the movie and I think it is sadly overlooked.
Old 23rd March 2022, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

They're Outside (2020, Airell Anthony Hayles/ Sam Casserly)

FF.
When a rather conceited "expert" accepts the challenge of tackling a severe case of agoraphobia, all bets are off after she relates a local legend which may pertain to her condition.
For all that, the most I got out of this was seeing Boof (Emily Booth) again ahem. The male lead is an ARSEHOLE, and I couldn't wait for him to get his. Even that was limp.

Commando Ninja (2018, Ben Combes)

If you're basically just going to make a homage to Predator (and Commando), then why set it in 1986????
Only quibble really, as this is a laugh riot literally.
A lone wolf survives the hell that was Vietnam only to fall foul of a tinpot dictator. The references will make you smile and groan at the same time. Well, that's what I did anyhow
It's only an hour and a bit!!

Preternatural (2016, Gav C. Steel)

FF. Two friends audition actors for a "horror spoof" set in the woods. This was an oddity, as the "main plot" seemed to be more of a contrivance rather than the actual events that occur. A brave attempt at something different or needlessly "meta" ?? Hmm.
A group travel into rural England in search of scary stuff and well, they find it tbh. This was the problem really, the framework is bog standard for this genre (outsiders trample over ancient myths and pay the cost) and the wild swerve it takes just as this is coming to fruition, well, I can see some shutting it off to be fair .... maybe budgetary limits meant they chose to develop the "meta" element as that don't need no FX ... who knows. Haven't been as infuriated with a film since Midslumber tbh.
NEXT!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th March 2022, 03:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

NIGHT ANGEL – Nineties ripeness set within a fashion mag’s head office, where various poseurs fall victim to the razor-claws of a pouty siren. Sooner or later, everyone is seen wearing a beret in at least two shots. I liked it, it has the tacky smoothness of a lot of B movies of its era, a kind of stylisation that’s over the top but somehow lifeless at the same time; ‘Night Angel’ is the natural corollary of a world where Calvin Klein, direct-to-video and the crass plundering of folklore coexist. It’s too heavy handed to be remotely erotic, but looking past the sultry décor there are plenty of wild fx moments, such as an orgy that looks like it might’ve been hosted by Hot Gossip and Screaming Mad George (I should mention that the make-up was by Steve Johnson, but you get my drift, it all goes a bit ‘Society’ there for a couple of seconds), a crazed slow-motion zombie siege and a few other splattery mishaps. Even after all that, ‘Night Angel’s most endearing quality is just a kind of bad pop-video goofiness. Utter bollocks but fun.
Old 24th March 2022, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
NIGHT ANGEL – Nineties ripeness set within a fashion mag’s head office, where various poseurs fall victim to the razor-claws of a pouty siren. Sooner or later, everyone is seen wearing a beret in at least two shots. I liked it, it has the tacky smoothness of a lot of B movies of its era, a kind of stylisation that’s over the top but somehow lifeless at the same time; ‘Night Angel’ is the natural corollary of a world where Calvin Klein, direct-to-video and the crass plundering of folklore coexist. It’s too heavy handed to be remotely erotic, but looking past the sultry décor there are plenty of wild fx moments, such as an orgy that looks like it might’ve been hosted by Hot Gossip and Screaming Mad George (I should mention that the make-up was by Steve Johnson, but you get my drift, it all goes a bit ‘Society’ there for a couple of seconds), a crazed slow-motion zombie siege and a few other splattery mishaps. Even after all that, ‘Night Angel’s most endearing quality is just a kind of bad pop-video goofiness. Utter bollocks but fun.
Saw bits of this on

download (3).jpeg

Never actually seen a decent copy of the film and forgot all about it, your review has put me back on the trail to find it again.
Old 24th March 2022, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Playbirds (1978)

A serial killer is murdering the girls sleazy Alan Lake uses as centerfolds for his Playbirds magazine. The police are f*cking useless - seriously. Two murders happen to girls supposedly under police protection - so beat bobby Mary Millington goes undercover at Playbird magazine in a bid to snare the killer.

To say this is a Mary Millington film she must have all of two minutes screen time during the first hour. She's in it more for the final 25 minutes. However it becomes clear why she's not given many scenes of dialogue. She simply isn't a very good actor and speaks her lines as if reading a cue card. A pity as Mary seems a very likable girl and other than the sex and stripping scenes i can certainly see her appeal.

Last night was my second viewing of The Playbirds. It's not bad with a couple of effective kills, especially the final one which is a proper downer, but too much of it is given up to scenes of horse racing and or the police acting generally useless. In truth this isn't as good as the film it borrowed it's plot from, 1959's Cover Girl Killer.

It's far and away the best movie Mary appeared in and i was pleased to see how lovely the restored dvd picture looked on my tv, thankfully justifying not purchasing the Blu-ray box set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg The_Playbirds_FilmPoster.jpeg (30.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 24th March 2022, 09:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bring Me The Vampire. 1963.

A group of would-be beneficiaries must spend the night in a house in order to receive their inheritance.

Would be old dark house from the 1930s film, with a assortment of characters who seems to get scared at the their own shadow. A head that appears at a dinner table that eventually manifests into a ghost and flies through the wall and a creepy dark atmosphere. What the Americans made with these type of films, the Mexicans thought we can do better but on a lower budget and failed. The acting wasn't too bad but just the bad dubbing that made little sense to the film, someone must have been having a laugh to screw this up. Helped pass some time away.

mqdefault.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!