All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2023, 10:19 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Detention (2011)

As a copycat killer named after movie villain Cinderhella, stalks the student body at Grizzly Lake High School, a group of co-eds band together to survive while serving detention.

Sounds fairly formulaic. It isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Take the plot of Scream 2, add some of Steven Moffatt's weirdest timey-wimey bollocks from Doctor Who and more movie satire than i think i've ever encountered in a film previously and you have Detention.

It really doesn't stop there. Add in dashes of Clueless, Heathers, Mean Girls, and a great big spoonful of The Breakfast Club topped off with a sprinkling of Saw II. and you might start to come close.

The film is probably the fastest paced bit of celluloid i can recall seeing. Jokes, gags and movie references fly at you so thick and fast it's impossible to catch them all in one sitting. You don't have time to laugh or dwell on each moment of humour as you'll miss the next one.

It's so insane at times it felt only a Wayans brother or an appearance from Carmen Electra away from the much derided Scary Movie series, and i do think that come the forty minute mark the film started to feel the weight of it's references and should have replaced it's wannabe cool 90's schtick for some actual story development, however the eagerness of it's relatively unknown cast keep it ticking over until the slasher movie begins for real and we get some great gore.

Detention won't be to everyone's tastes, but anyone with an unhealthy interest in Steven Seagal's fighting techniques and general movie geek insanity could do worse than checking it out.

Second time around and i really liked it all over again.

I had a look at the sole extra last night. An in vision director's chat track which throws even more bat shit crazy stuff at the screen as cast members pop up in their own little on screen boxes to talk about their characters, scribble stuff on the screen and generally bombard the viewer. Shit! As with the film you'd need to watch it five times to spot half the craziness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detention.jpg (92.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th February 2023, 10:58 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Hellboy II: The Golden Army 2008.

Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor and Doug Jones return for this sequel, no disrespect to Doug who does Abe but not hearing David Hyde Pierce doing the voice is a bit strange and does throw the character off a bit but doesn't stop Abe and Hellboy getting a bit plastered. Luke Gross plays the Prince who wants to control a army and take over the world, the fighting choreography is quite decent in this along with the visual effects. First time actually sitting down and watching this and did enjoy it bit not as I enjoyed the first one, but a re watch will happen.

Attachment 244636
I loved both Hellboy films it's a real shame we didn't get a Hellboy 3 to wrap it up. I always felt Ron Perlman was born for this role could of painted him red and stuck a couple of horn stubs on him and kaboom Hellboy no other prosthetics needed
Old 9th February 2023, 11:14 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Forgot to mention.

Detention (2011) has a pretty awesome soundtrack featuring House of Pain, Hole, The Raveonettes, Goldfrapp, Public Enemy, C+C Music Factory, Backstreet Boys... yes, this one works really well too.
Old 9th February 2023, 11:39 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Hellboy II: The Golden Army 2008.

Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor and Doug Jones return for this sequel, no disrespect to Doug who does Abe but not hearing David Hyde Pierce doing the voice is a bit strange and does throw the character off a bit but doesn't stop Abe and Hellboy getting a bit plastered. Luke Gross plays the Prince who wants to control a army and take over the world, the fighting choreography is quite decent in this along with the visual effects. First time actually sitting down and watching this and did enjoy it bit not as I enjoyed the first one, but a re watch will happen.
I prefer this to the first Hellboy film. I don't mind the lack of David Hyde Pierce's voice because Doug Jones is a very good substitute, I love the whole Golden Army design and back story, plus Luke Goss (who, before his appearance in Blade II six years earlier, I only knew as being half of Bros) is excellent as Prince Nuada.

Also, the film looks amazing, has a really good score, and Seth McFarlane's voicing of Johann is perfect.
Old 9th February 2023, 04:09 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Detention (2011)

As a copycat killer named after movie villain Cinderhella, stalks the student body at Grizzly Lake High School, a group of co-eds band together to survive while serving detention.

Sounds fairly formulaic. It isn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Take the plot of Scream 2, add some of Steven Moffatt's weirdest timey-wimey bollocks from Doctor Who and more movie satire than i think i've ever encountered in a film previously and you have Detention.

It really doesn't stop there. Add in dashes of Clueless, Heathers, Mean Girls, and a great big spoonful of The Breakfast Club topped off with a sprinkling of Saw II. and you might start to come close.

The film is probably the fastest paced bit of celluloid i can recall seeing. Jokes, gags and movie references fly at you so thick and fast it's impossible to catch them all in one sitting. You don't have time to laugh or dwell on each moment of humour as you'll miss the next one.

It's so insane at times it felt only a Wayans brother or an appearance from Carmen Electra away from the much derided Scary Movie series, and i do think that come the forty minute mark the film started to feel the weight of it's references and should have replaced it's wannabe cool 90's schtick for some actual story development, however the eagerness of it's relatively unknown cast keep it ticking over until the slasher movie begins for real and we get some great gore.

Detention won't be to everyone's tastes, but anyone with an unhealthy interest in Steven Seagal's fighting techniques and general movie geek insanity could do worse than checking it out.

Second time around and i really liked it all over again.

I had a look at the sole extra last night. An in vision director's chat track which throws even more bat shit crazy stuff at the screen as cast members pop up in their own little on screen boxes to talk about their characters, scribble stuff on the screen and generally bombard the viewer. Shit! As with the film you'd need to watch it five times to spot half the craziness.
I watched this movie years ago, and I enjoyed a lot, and put on my 'wish to buy list' but never managed to find in blu ray.. now I will start my search again, excellent review Dem.
Old 9th February 2023, 04:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
I watched this movie years ago, and I enjoyed a lot, and put on my 'wish to buy list' but never managed to find in blu ray.. now I will start my search again, excellent review Dem.
Thanks, Graveyard.

I didn't watch it on Blu. Merely dvd, it looked great anyway.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 9th February 2023, 04:34 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post

There is a German blu for €11 but not much else, I’ve only got this one on dvd myself.
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th February 2023, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hellraiser V: Inferno. 2000.

Something a bit darker and a somewhat different direction for the Pinhead character, it does carry the S&M calling card...where else would you see a guy in the back of a ice cream van getting whipped. Craig Sheffer is the detective drawn into a puzzle after a...lady of the evening is found dead and he was the one that last saw her alive. This does go down the path of psychological route of what is real and what ain't and then search for someone who may not be real. As iconic the Pinhead character is along with other Cenobites, he doesn't appear till the final act but you get the feeling that he has shipshaped into other characters during the movie. This one I took a while to warm up to and do enjoy It a bit more now.

download.jpeg
Old 9th February 2023, 07:19 PM
Active Cultist

Thank you @Justin101 and @Demdike@Cult Labs for the reply, I will look for both
Justin101 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 9th February 2023, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Karen (2021, Coke Daniels)

I had to. The hilarious premise. The script that is so woke it squeaks. The wonderful touch of Breen right at the end just sealed the deal.
Meet the neighbours.
They might seem a little anal to begin with, but battling about garbage day would be preferrable to what we eventually get. Lawdy!! In all fairness, the titular lead really goes for it. No one utters the N word, just like that Clooney thing I watched where they did eventually burn crosses on lawns ahem.
Suburbicon? Anyway.
I do these things for you.
Next!!

Karen2021poster.jpeg

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!