Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2011, 03:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Gotta love 'The Killing', a great aspect of this forum is somebody brings up a flick you haven't seen in years and you go "God, I gotta see that again".
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 19th August 2011, 07:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
watched The Killing last night, i never realised how many films were influenced by this film, The Dark Knight, Reservoir Dogs, Heat.... etc. Sterling Hayden's Performance as Jonny Clay is unbelievable, his talks at such a rapid fire speed but still allows the viewer to understand what he's saying. Tarantino owes Kubrick and Jim Thompson a hell of a lot of credit for his writing style, I thought that the 'dragnet' style would be off putting but it works really really well, my only problem with the film was the almost farcical bar room fight with the wrestler. 10/10

I've heard a lot of great things about this film but still haven't seen it yet. Might pick up the Criterion BD next month when I next get paid
Old 19th August 2011, 07:26 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

AUDITION - a good film, but watching it again. it wouldn't be in my top 10 Jap films
EVIL DEAD TRAP - brilliant! nice Japanese gore and a surrreal ending
Old 19th August 2011, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished watching Hobo With a Shotgun for the first time, on Blu Ray, and it is without a shadow of a doubt the best film I've seen in a very long time, so unbelievably OTT, Rutger Hauer absolutely steals the show. I'm pretty certain this will get repeat viewings, loved it!!
nekromantik and antmumford like this.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching Hobo With a Shotgun for the first time, on Blu Ray, and it is without a shadow of a doubt the best film I've seen in a very long time, so unbelievably OTT, Rutger Hauer absolutely steals the show. I'm pretty certain this will get repeat viewings, loved it!!
It really is something special, it's soooooooo good!
Rik likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 19th August 2011, 08:39 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just watched The Fourth Kind, which I recorded from Sky Movies this week. It was complete nonsense from start to finish with cheap scares and unconvincing 'archive footage'.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Eureka
A sweaty slice of Nic Roeg madness, with a strong Citizen Kane/There Will be Blood kind of vibe. More of a film to admire than to actually enjoy, every character is an unlikable bastard, consumed by greed, jealousy, and misguided passion. Stylistically the film is all over the place, full of typical Roeg flourishes (there are a lot of zooms in to significant inanimate objects) and hallucinatory scene juxtapositions. Some suitably BIG performances from Gene Hackman and Rutger Hauer, giving in completely to the sweeping melodrama. Admirably ambitious, probably a ‘masterpiece’, but I was kind of glad when it was over!

Frightmare
A terrible title for what turned out to be quite a decent Brit horror from Pete Walker (the first of his I’ve seen). Opens with Andrew Sachs getting half his head caved in! In the end it all falls a bit flat, but at least there was some attempt to give the story some psychological depth – homicidal madness spread from parent to child.

A Boy and his Dog
Screams ‘cult gem!’ – a young Don Johnson and his talking dog hunt for laydees in a post-apocalyptic world! All the stuff with the boy and his dog works really well, one of the better talking mutts I’ve come across. In the second half, the film goes underground to a utopian society, run as a creepy retro Americana world by Jason Robards. Thought the film fell down a bit during this section, partly because the boy/dog relationship is lost, partly because the utopian world is annoyingly underdeveloped. For some reason, everyone wears whiteface makeup – thought initially it was meant to be an effect of lack of sunlight, but it looks so blatantly like caked-on face paint. There’s also a typically dystopian bit of brutal population control, but none of it really carries much impact, occurring to characters we haven’t been introduced to. But after that when the boy and his dog are reunited, there is one of the best anti-cliché endings I’ve ever seen! Had to rewind to make sure what I thought had happened had actually happened.
Old 19th August 2011, 09:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just watched The Fourth Kind, which I recorded from Sky Movies this week. It was complete nonsense from start to finish with cheap scares and unconvincing 'archive footage'.
I agree, I regret paying money to see this!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 19th August 2011, 09:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Just read some bad news:Tony Scott's planning a massacre of Sam Peckinpah's 'The Wild Bunch'
Old 19th August 2011, 09:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
Just read some bad news:Tony Scott's planning a massacre of Sam Peckinpah's 'The Wild Bunch'
Pun intended?

Like this? Share it using the links below!