Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Cop Out

Kevin Smith Project session 9

Kevin Smith Project, a list of films by JustinMc • Letterboxd

Dave: This is police brutality.
Jimmy Monroe: Not yet...

Movie making brutality... The direction itself is ok, the script is awful though. I can't stand Bruce Willis at the best of times, but oh my god... Not seen so much uninterested acting in a long time, no one seems to give a shit.

At least I won't have to watch this piece of crap again. I can forgive KS for this because he said he was just testing to see if he could make a studio movie, and yeah he can, it's just a shame it's no good, he needs to stick to Scott Mosier produced films and scripts he wrote himself.

I still haven't seen it but I lost a lot of respect for Kevin Smith with his attitude to the reviews of the film. ""Writing a nasty review for Cop Out is akin to bullying a retarded kid" and complaining that critics should have to pay to see his movies. Awful stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Tonight I watched the Phantom Menace
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...
Old 25th February 2013, 08:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePopeofCOSDS View Post
I was like that with Blade Runner. After forcing myself to watch it realized that I should trust my gut because I hated every second of it.
Know what you mean that's another film I've tried several times to watch and haven't succeeded either,
Old 25th February 2013, 09:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I still haven't seen it but I lost a lot of respect for Kevin Smith with his attitude to the reviews of the film. ""Writing a nasty review for Cop Out is akin to bullying a retarded kid" and complaining that critics should have to pay to see his movies. Awful stuff
I did think that myself at first, but I recently saw one of his Q&A's from last year and he explained his actions, whether you want to believe it or not, he wants to quit film directing which he has mentioned quite a few times over the last few years and before he did he wanted to see if he could make a Studio Movie - which he did and realised that it wasn't for him.

He also thought to himself that the best way to get out of the business is to piss off the press - echoing the plot point in Jersey Girl when Affleck's character blasts Will Smith. He certainally succeeded in pissing off the press, but I think he ended up- pissing off his fans too - many of which still haven't forgiven him.

Luckily for me I'm not fickle, and I really like Red State - so no harm no foul in my eyes - Cop Out is shit though
PaulD likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th February 2013, 09:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Same here; I watched Red State with an open-mind and enjoyed it overall. Was a very different sort of film you're used to with Smith and all the better for it (save for some of the dialogue in the last scene).
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:40 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Last week's films:

Old 25th February 2013, 10:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mixed bag at the weekend....THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS

Paranormal Activity 4. A confused and confusing mess, with two standout moments for me, the much lauded kinect sequence made my eyes hurt so f to that!!! Will still watch the 3rd, but sheeeesh, diminishing returns etc......AAAnyway

Argo. Look, on a purely human level twas a decent, emotionally involving tale, but the CIA aren't "good guys" by any stretch of the imagination IMO.

Malice In Wonderland. Dyer Time!!! Odd wee thing, only watched half because I noticed a Lichtenstein doc on BBC4, so a bit cheeky, but I liked what I'd seen, so will rewatch and put up a proper review on the appropriate thread cough cough geezer...

Killer Joe. Liked this curious blend of Tennessee Williams and Jim Thompson (it's theatrical origins are obvious, but decently rounded out), haven't had much time for MM in the past, but this is certainly a singular performance, Recommended!!

Wreck It Ralph. Too formulaic in structure for me, not a patch on TS3, regardless what Wossy says in the ads, some nice references but was too two dimensional for my tastes

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th February 2013, 10:57 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Same here; I watched Red State with an open-mind and enjoyed it overall. Was a very different sort of film you're used to with Smith and all the better for it (save for some of the dialogue in the last scene).
Apparently he run out of story and his brother dared him to end it with 'the rapture'. It does stop the film from being great.

Old 25th February 2013, 11:04 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Apparently he run out of story and his brother dared him to end it with 'the rapture'. It does stop the film from being great.

It was just the crass "Typical Kevin Smith Sodomy Jokes" in that scene that I found unnecessary and which jarred with the rest of the film. That said, I'm going to buy Red State now as I don't own it and fancy seeing it again!
Old 25th February 2013, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran

Mine just got delivered in time for the final Kevin Smith Project session tonight, it was like £5.80 on amazon, Blu-ray.

Old 25th February 2013, 11:44 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
It was just the crass "Typical Kevin Smith Sodomy Jokes" in that scene that I found unnecessary and which jarred with the rest of the film. That said, I'm going to buy Red State now as I don't own it and fancy seeing it again!
I think what really makes RED STATE stand out is michael parks. He's incredible in the film, simply brilliant. I thought the end was a little bit of a cop-out (pardon the pun) but its a satisfying movie overall and worth watching for parks performance. His sermon is chilling and powerfully delivered and hopefully one day he'll get an oscar for something. I've liked his work since twin peaks.
Justin101, PaulD and Demoncrat like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!