Old 3rd August 2013, 11:03 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
It's been a while
As I can't read Russian, could you provide a simple list of the film titles?!
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As I can't read Russian, could you provide a simple list of the film titles?!
I'm creating a Post Your Favourite Film Stills post about that at the moment
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
I'm creating a Post Your Favourite Film Stills post about that at the moment
How many of them will be in Cyrillic or Japanese?!
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
How many of them will be in Cyrillic or Japanese?!
Have a look !
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Only God Forgives

Those expecting Drive 2 will be disappointed, because Nicolas Winding Refn's languid latest is the spiritual successor of his divisive, Herzog channeling Valhalla Rising. An hallucinatory cocktail of violence and karaoke, with Gosling barely muttering 20 lines throughout, wrapped up in a good old fashioned revenge plot - it's so arthouse that Time Out labelled it "pretentious" (a moment of jaw-dropping pot-calling-kettle-black journalism if ever there was), but unlike them I loved it.

Refn works once again with British cinematographer Larry Smith (Bronson) and every frame of this movie is a visual delight - it's certainly Ryfn's best looking film yet. Like Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void - another film this shares common ground with - Refn's Thailand is a purgatory of neon lit grubby sidestreets and clubs. Cliff Martinez once again provides the score; an unsettling wave of delicate, eastern tinged pop, punctuated by heavy synth and vertiginous drone/doom.

Gosling can play the virtually silent anti-hero in his sleep, but it's an almost unrecognisable Kristin Scott Thomas who stands out here, sure to go down as one of the most reprehensible onscreen mothers of all time. And there's an utterly chilling performance from Thai actor Vithaya Pansringarm.

This is some of the most suffocating and stifling cinema I've seen in a while, and for that I applaud it. Refn ends with a dedication to Jodorowsky, an apt dedication as the final scenes of atonement long resonate after the credits roll.
Well my local cinema isn't showing it. The chavs round here would probably hate it. Think I may head out to Manchester next Saturday and see if the odeon is showing it...
troggi likes this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 01:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Thermae Romae - light-hearted film about a time-travelling Roman who travels to modern Japan to find inspiration for his baths. Based on the original Manga and enormous, unexpected, fun.

Curse of Chicky Tonal reboot that takes Chucky 6 back to his horror roots. I liked this. I liked it a lot. Perhaps the biggest surprise of the festival.

Raze - a cross between a 70's WIP and Mortal Combat a group of kidnapped women must fight one another to the death in order to save their families.

Return to Nuke Em High LLoyd Kaunfman returns with another film documenting life in Tromaville. A Troma film. Does exactly what it says on the tin and the perfect midnight movie.

If I can find somewhere to store my suitcase I have tickets for two more films, if not I will spend the next 12 hours at the airport waiting for my flight.
sawyer6 and troggi like this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 03:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Suck (2009)

Whilst on tour a struggling rock band are, one by one, turned into vampires and the success they once so craved begins to arrive, at a price.

Occasionally a films title really does sum it up. Suck, well, sucks.

The film begins promisingly enough as we get to know the band - the ironically titled The Winners. We also meet Alice Cooper for the first time as a bar tender. The film has plenty of rock in jokes and at times the film incorporates classic album covers such as Abbey Road and Springsteen's Born in the USA. The film also has some rather nice cameo's from Iggy Pop, Henry Rollins and Alex Lifeson as well as the aforementioned Alice Cooper who turns out to be the devil at the crossroads in life. See Robert Johnson for further details. Malcolm McDowell also turns up as the scared of the dark vampire hunter Eddie Van Helsing. His brother Alex Van Helsing must have been unavailable.

Unfortunately after half an hour the film just becomes dull to the point of boredom. The band tour the States sucking the blood of the innocent on the way but alas this is all off screen, we just know this thanks to a map and the bloody splats on it.

The films main problem is the lack of story, or at least the lack of an interesting one, unfortunately no amount of cameo's or amusing side shows can put this right.

Recommended only to Alice and Iggy completists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suck-Movie.jpg (8.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd August 2013, 03:45 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Runaway Train (BD)- thoroughly enjoyed, John Voight was superb and the action intense at times. Looks great on Blu too other than the odd external shots which were pretty dire in places. Source elements look to be the problem there.

Delicatessen (BD) - what a superb piece of art, so quirky and so much fun. PQ is astounding too. Love it love it love it. All I need now is The City of Lost Children on Blu and I can die a happy man

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 3rd August 2013, 03:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Suck (2009)

Occasionally a films title really does sum it up. Suck, well, sucks.

Recommended only to Alice and Iggy completists.
My thought exactly
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!