Old 3rd April 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've seen it a few times now.

It's one of those where you put your brain to one side and just enjoy the ride.
You're right that it is a film which requires a significant willing suspension of disbelief, but I remember enjoying it and watching it with the commentary, which I remember also being pretty good. William H Macy is, as he always is in every film, puts in a fine performance as the detective.
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
William H Macy is, as he always is in every film, puts in a fine performance as the detective.
He's one of the great unsung actors of recent times. Always worth watching.
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Cellular (2004)

Kim Basinger, Jason Statham, Chris Evans and William H Macy star in this rip roaring thriller. The script from cult screen writer Larry Cohen plays very much on coincidence and good fortune, however it matters not as the movie is such good fun, applying tension and fast paced action during the whole of it's running time.

Recommended.
I don't remember Statham being in that film!

Last edited by J Harker; 4th April 2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 4th April 2014, 01:01 AM
Cult Addict

[QUOTE=Frankie Teardrop;398988]TERROR TOONS - Another by indie horror doyen Joe Castro. It's really something quite special - few films treading the gonzo route manage to come this close to actual feverishness without copping out into whacky horror-com. Some of the sets pieces are quite mind bending - Castro once said that one of his influences was Rinse Dream's 'Caligari' remake, and, whilst nothing here is really as skewed or as sleazy, I can see it, sort of. The title tells you all you need to know - cartoon entities terrorise us straight 3d normaloids. Looks hopelessly cheap as well, although no doubt that will alienate quite a few - You'll have to get your head around early noughites cheapshit computer generated effects for this one, I'm afraid. Reminds me of dropping acid in a sleazy house in nineties Huddersfield, and looks like it was made by teenage trip heads too.

100 TEARS - The one with the clown who chops loads of people up with a ridiculous meat cleaver. More lo-fi indie gnarl which redeems its occasional plodding bits with bucketfuls of gore. Yeah, I'm trying to lay down the plot in an interesting and informative way but it's basically just about a clown murdering people. Two journalists investigate until they run up against him and his whacky daughter, more blood ensues etc etc. Yep, it's good if you like clowns, like gore, like shit movies - I tick all three, but I'm glad I didn't buy it for the crazy money it goes for these days.

DON'T WAKE THE DEAD - Basically a collision of various stupidities - Blind Deadesque Knights Templer, zombie Nazis, a heavy metal band, blood, gore, sleaze... I had to ask myself at points why I wasn't enjoying it more - then I remembered it was by Andreas Schnaas. Only kidding, it's quite an enjoyable romp really, nowhere near the bottom of the Schnaas barrel, although not as inspiringly bonkers as something like 'Zombie Doom'. You probably already know whether or not you'll dig it, so I'll leave it at that.

Frankie i applaud your determination to seek out the overlooked and bizarre oddities, i've seen a lot of weird sh*t, but you always seem to review something i've never heard of. It's quite refreshing.
You should write a book or somethin' like that. Your choices remind me of reading through 'The Psychotronic film guide' that i used to own but alas no more.
You could call it the 'Teardrop explodes'. (bad band reference)
Keep up the good work.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th April 2014, 07:31 AM
Active Cultist

Drive - Watched this last night, brought on a whim, didnt know anything about it, which in the end really worked out for me as i was more and more pleasantly suprised as the film went along, i liked the quietness of The Driver he reminded me a lot of Leon, but obviously a different style of film, more reminisant of the films from 70's and 80's with a Micheal Mann gloss to it. The music worked well and all the driving scenes were well put together, so all in all for me it was a great film and ill look forward to rediscovering in the future. 7/10
Old 4th April 2014, 07:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythinggoes78 View Post
Drive - Watched this last night, brought on a whim, didnt know anything about it, which in the end really worked out for me as i was more and more pleasantly suprised as the film went along, i liked the quietness of The Driver he reminded me a lot of Leon, but obviously a different style of film, more reminisant of the films from 70's and 80's with a Micheal Mann gloss to it. The music worked well and all the driving scenes were well put together, so all in all for me it was a great film and ill look forward to rediscovering in the future. 7/10
Watch it a second or third time and that 7 will become an 8, 9 or 10. Guaranteed
anythinggoes78 likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 4th April 2014, 08:05 AM
Active Cultist

I have been trying to catch up on the Lucio Fulci films that i have yet to see. Last night i got round to watching his 1977 thriller The Psychic. This is a story of woman who suffered a childhood trauma having envisaged her mothers suicide. Now a married adult she has visions of a murder.
I found this to be a fascinating watch. The story is believable, its well acted and directed. This is almost like a Hitchcock film rather than a typical Giallo and seeing as tho i love Hitchcock films i would rate this as some of Fulcis best work.
Last week i managed to catch 1990s Cat in the Brain. I didnt quite know what to expect with this but was suprised at how much i liked it. Fulci plays himself ( rather well ) as a horror director who has directed one too many films and is starting to take his work home with him.
This is not really a horror film at all despite being banned in this country at one time due to scenes of gore. This film is a black comedy and a decent one. There is a very amusing scene in a restaurant but i wont give out spoilers for anyone that hasnt seen it. Recommended.
The more i see of Fulcis films the more impressed i am by his diversity wether it be horror, thriller, westerns they have for the most part been enjoyable. Next up will be Silver Saddle and Demonia.
Old 4th April 2014, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
The more i see of Fulcis films the more impressed i am by his diversity wether it be horror, thriller, westerns they have for the most part been enjoyable. Next up will be Silver Saddle and Demonia.
And that is where your appreciation will end
Old 4th April 2014, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Frozen

A impulse buy. So glad I did buy it really enjoyed this amazing animated movie one of the best animated movies I have seen in a long long time. Everyone should give a watch, definitely can see this being up there with all the other classic Disney movies. 10/10

Edit

About to watch all the colours of the dark is it any good?

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th April 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 5th April 2014, 10:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
And that is where your appreciation will end
Sssssssssssh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!