Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2015, 09:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I always preferred this to the other rape-revenge thrillers out there. The rape-revenge thriller has always been morally questionable in that they seem to think an admittedly horrific act justifies further brutal acts (The Last House on the Left being an obvious exception).

But Ms. 45 doesn't judge - it simply portrays. This is probably due to, as you said Frankie, Ferrera's arthouse sensibilities.
Good points. I'm always a bit dubious about 'rape-revenge', but somehow I never see 'Ms 45' in the same kind of light as many of its ilk... I don't know why. I know I made that point in my review about Ms 45 not having much psychology about it, and it doesn't in a 'realistic' sense, but on the other hand it at least focuses on and spends time with the lead character (who is magnetic), and you kind of feel part of her world... other films, like you say, use character (and events like rape) as plot devices, it all feels more external and objectified , therefore sticks in the throat a bit more, maybe.
Old 14th October 2015, 09:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I know I made that point in my review about Ms 45 not having much psychology about it, and it doesn't in a 'realistic' sense, but on the other hand it at least focuses on and spends time with the lead character (who is magnetic), and you kind of feel part of her world
For me, that's why Ms. 45 works. There's no attempt made at trying to rationalise her actions. It just simply observes the cause-and-effect of her rape.

By the end of the film I was not "cheering" her on like I would have with Paul Kersey or Jennifer Hills. I was simply trying to work out, where now for her? What happens next? The film never answers this and one is left feeling a great unease.
Old 14th October 2015, 05:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Regression (2015) - 5/10

Watchable thriller with occult and horror elements, and Ethan Hawke's usual overacting.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 14th October 2015, 08:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Last House On Dead End Street

Not seen it before. It's produced cheaply and dated but still has a really distinctive nasty feel to it that I enjoyed. Looks pure grindhouse and clearly very influential on Guinea Pig, AU etc.
Old 14th October 2015, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Sicario

If you know your politics and current affairs then the scariest thing about this is that you realise it is really not far from the truth. THAT dinner scene though, ****in hell, that had me on the edge of my seat that few films, never mind horror films, do these days. Beautiful cinematography aswell in the midst of the film's darkness and amazing performances.

In the words of others in this thread, GO SEE IT.

9/10.
TJ Doc, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 15th October 2015, 06:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A quick film in-between all those linked ones. Day of the Triffids (1962) seen many times before although I think I've read the book more than I've seen this film version. Day of the Triffids was the first John Wyndham book I read and owned - I was taking it out of the school library (which I also worked in) and was told I might as well buy it from them as it hadn't been issued since the 70s. It's around this time of the year that I re-read Wyndham.

The film is great, big plants, manic situations, a salty ending, it's Sunday afternoon perfection on a Thursday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triffids.jpg (68.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 15th October 2015, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Twin Peaks

Entire mystery BD. Not many TV shows age well but this really does. Wish I'd never read about the lip sync issues, keep looking for the sodding things now, even though they're few, far between and not very noticeable!
Old 16th October 2015, 10:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cave of the Living Dead (1964)

Jess Franco regular Adrian Hoven stars as a police inspector investigating the deaths of seven girls from suspected vampirism in a sleepy old village.

Whilst the plot is pretty unoriginal, Cave of the Living Dead or Night of the Vampires as it was originally titled outside America, still manages to entertain. The plot whilst talky is fairly pacy and the film is nicely acted despite some atrocious dubbing which turns some characters into hilarious comedy stereotypes - see the innkeeper as a prime example.

Fortunately there are enough spooky Gothic subtleties on offer to counteract the unintentional humour. Witness gnarly hands clawing at a window and enough night time stalkings to make even the most hardened traveler prefer an evening chatting to the innkeeper in glorious overdub.

I originally posted this here - October Horror Movie Marathon But laziness demands it gets a mention in this thread as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaveOfTheLivingDead19654089_f.jpg (36.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 16th October 2015, 10:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Day of the Triffids (1962)
The film is great, big plants, manic situations, a salty ending, it's Sunday afternoon perfection on a Thursday.
Despite possessing both BBC series i've never seen the film version which is bloody annoying. Especially seeing as every girl and her cat seems to own it.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th October 2015, 06:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE VAMPIRE'S GHOST (1945)

The native drums are beating that there is evil around. There is a vampire on the loose in this entertaining Poverty Row horror.

Like this? Share it using the links below!