Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2016, 03:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Funky Forest: The First Contact (Naisu no mori: The First Contact) (2005)

56/100
Love that GIF. Human Centipede eat your heart out!
Old 24th January 2016, 04:06 PM
Cult Addict

Been to Manchester for a few days so a few to get through.

Sinister 2

the original Sinister was a film unfairly lumped in with a lot of the jump scare films that were (and still are) hitting the cinema's that rely simply on having a BOO! moment at regular intervals, it didn't help things that the film was produced by bumhouse productions who have churned out more than a few of them. Sinister however was a film that felt like it was more about slow burning menace than cats jumping out of wardrobes and people creeping up on each other inexplicably. This sense of impending dread was helped quite a lot by an excellent score from Christopher young that was like a rumbling industrial menace that helped create and sustain this menace.
It's a shame then that Chris young was not on board for this sequel. tomandandy who worked on films like rules of attraction and mothman prophecies take over and deliver something quite close, and to their credit don't try and reinvent something that worked so well first time around. Sinister 2 itself is a lesser movie in many respects, it repeats the originals one major mistake of showing too much of the monster, here the film also decides to show more of the ghostly child victims of the Bughuul and its just not as scary as leaving them in the shadows half seen. The first half of the film is poorly paced as well and the whole thing could have used a bit more of a re-write. Its still better than Anabelle however and not as bad as some suggest.

Shut in

A group of thugs decide to rob the house of a woman whose brother has recently passed away. Assuming she will be at the funeral they expect a hassle free burglary only shocked to discover that the woman is still there. A shut in she is unable to leave the house. The gang squabble over what to do with her and unfortunately for them trigger a psychosis in the woman. Before you can say 'we are trapped' the gang are trapped in a prison like basement as they are killed off one by one. A terrific little low key horror that manages to draw some humanity from both the psychotic woman and her tormenters/victims. It's not excessively violent and certainly nothing massively original but its well executed and very entertaining.

The revenant

I quite liked Birdman, it felt a little too snobby in places and non of the characters engaged with me like they should but from a technical perspective at least it was hard to fault. This one is something of an improvement, charting the story of a trapper crossing inhospitable territory in search of his son's killers. As a western its as picturesque as a Terrence Malick film, mixed in with the pessimism of Peckinpah, Werner Herzog and Soldier blue. The huntsmen are cruel and brutal and the depiction of savagery against the natives is as cruel and savage as the reprisals against them. This might be soemthing of a stumbling block if your looking for a truly sympathetic character to 'root for' as even Decaprio's trapper is at times as brutal and amoral as the man he hunts. Worth seeing.
Old 24th January 2016, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict

The killing time

Kiefer sutherland plays an anonymous drifter with an agenda who kills a man and takes his Identity as a sheriff's deputy in a seemingly sleepy California coastal town. Like any good film noir however there's more going on beneath the surface, the sheriff played by Joe Don Baker is retiring, his successor played by Beau Bridges is having an affair with the local crime lord who has a penchant for raping his wife. His wife wants her scumbag husband dead and the new sheriff decides to go along with it, deciding to pin it on the new deputy. The deputy has other ideas however. A random purchase on DVD this was much better than I expected. No bona fide classic it does have enough of a plot to keep me watching. The acting is uniformly good and there are a few nice twists to the story. Keep an eye open for this in the charity shops.

The signal

Bizarre and at times uneven low budget sci-fi that's kept afloat by Lawrence fishburne and some neat ideas. It's one best going into blind but the basic premise is that a group of friends follow a signal to an abandoned house and black out waking up in a government lab. Then things get weird. It'll be nice to see what the director of this does with a budget.

Dracula has risen from the grave

A passing priest performs an exorcism on castle Dracuila and bars the door with a cross. Unfortunately the local priest then wakes up Drac who enraged decided to go after the priest and his loved ones including his gorgeous niece played by the lovely Veronica Carlson. Only her atheist boyfriend can stop the rampaging Vamp, but he must find some faith to do it. Top drawer Hammer with excellent set design and some great photography. Possibly one of Freddie Francis best directorial efforts.

Collapse

Documentary about Michael Ruppert, an ex-cop turned journalist who is either a nutty conspiracy theorists or frighteningly accurate depending on your point of view. Its pointed out that he predicted the financial collapse of 07-08 though in fairness he wasn't the only one. His points about the fact that we have passed the point of peak oil production is frighteningly plausible, however it does feel like he's actively looking for the worst case scenarios. Definitely worth watching and making your own mind up about it.

Lizard in a woman's skin

Lucio Fulcis delirious acid soaked Giallo is unusual in the fact that it provides a pretty much clear cut case of murder then spends its time trying to convince us that what we saw might be wrong. Florinda Bolkan plays a repressed housewife who has a nightmare about murdering her hippie neighbour (anita Strindberg) after a lesbian tryst, only to find out it has come true. Stanley Baker in his last film plays an uptight cop convinced she did it. As stephen thrower points out, Fulci does cheat at certain points making it look like Bolkan might actually be innocent and it's partly down to this that I don't think the film is not as good as don't torture a duckling. Its still a cracking little film as well with some great use of locations and a genuinely interesting and sometimes baffling plot. Mondo Macarbo's blu-ray looks magnificent.
Old 24th January 2016, 07:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Shameless Sunday:

#33 Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) A Fulci film I actually like, and it stars the gorgeous Barbara Bouchet who for me ranks right up there with Edwige.

#34 The House on the Edge of the Park (1980) Great movie. This was my second time seeing this and I forgot about the twist!
Old 24th January 2016, 07:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Shameless Sunday:

#33 Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) A Fulci film I actually like, and it stars the gorgeous Barbara Bouchet who for me ranks right up there with Edwige.
Head and shoulders above Edwige in my opinion.
keirarts and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 24th January 2016, 07:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Head and shoulders above Edwige in my opinion.
You take that back!!

Plus, who's looking at the head and shoulders anyway?!

Old 24th January 2016, 07:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I do of course like Barbara too though:

Old 24th January 2016, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The killing time

Kiefer sutherland plays an anonymous drifter with an agenda who kills a man and takes his Identity as a sheriff's deputy in a seemingly sleepy California coastal town. Like any good film noir however there's more going on beneath the surface, the sheriff played by Joe Don Baker is retiring, his successor played by Beau Bridges is having an affair with the local crime lord who has a penchant for raping his wife. His wife wants her scumbag husband dead and the new sheriff decides to go along with it, deciding to pin it on the new deputy. The deputy has other ideas however. A random purchase on DVD this was much better than I expected. No bona fide classic it does have enough of a plot to keep me watching. The acting is uniformly good and there are a few nice twists to the story. Keep an eye open for this in the charity shops.

The signal

Bizarre and at times uneven low budget sci-fi that's kept afloat by Lawrence fishburne and some neat ideas. It's one best going into blind but the basic premise is that a group of friends follow a signal to an abandoned house and black out waking up in a government lab. Then things get weird. It'll be nice to see what the director of this does with a budget.

Dracula has risen from the grave

A passing priest performs an exorcism on castle Dracuila and bars the door with a cross. Unfortunately the local priest then wakes up Drac who enraged decided to go after the priest and his loved ones including his gorgeous niece played by the lovely Veronica Carlson. Only her atheist boyfriend can stop the rampaging Vamp, but he must find some faith to do it. Top drawer Hammer with excellent set design and some great photography. Possibly one of Freddie Francis best directorial efforts.

Collapse

Documentary about Michael Ruppert, an ex-cop turned journalist who is either a nutty conspiracy theorists or frighteningly accurate depending on your point of view. Its pointed out that he predicted the financial collapse of 07-08 though in fairness he wasn't the only one. His points about the fact that we have passed the point of peak oil production is frighteningly plausible, however it does feel like he's actively looking for the worst case scenarios. Definitely worth watching and making your own mind up about it.

Lizard in a woman's skin

Lucio Fulcis delirious acid soaked Giallo is unusual in the fact that it provides a pretty much clear cut case of murder then spends its time trying to convince us that what we saw might be wrong. Florinda Bolkan plays a repressed housewife who has a nightmare about murdering her hippie neighbour (anita Strindberg) after a lesbian tryst, only to find out it has come true. Stanley Baker in his last film plays an uptight cop convinced she did it. As stephen thrower points out, Fulci does cheat at certain points making it look like Bolkan might actually be innocent and it's partly down to this that I don't think the film is not as good as don't torture a duckling. Its still a cracking little film as well with some great use of locations and a genuinely interesting and sometimes baffling plot. Mondo Macarbo's blu-ray looks magnificent.

I too really liked The Signal.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th January 2016, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453669303.801212.jpg

It unfairly got a bit of a savaging from the critics on release. It's not going to win any awards but it does what it does very well and it's hugely enjoyable experience critics moaned about kurt Russell performance but the lack of emotion and rarely speaking fitted the character.

story is of a solider that's is replaced and left for dead by a breed a new and improved soldiers. He is taking in by a community on the planet he was dumped on. It's not long before the same super soldiers return to wipe out the community and it's up to Kurt to protect his new friends and get his revenge showing just who the superior soldier really is. 8/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453669852.622409.jpg

A rather dull Toho movie about a spate of unexplainable robberies, we soon learn these are being carried out by a man who can turn himself into a gaseous form. 4.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453669942.523308.jpg

6/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453669961.942171.jpg

Really have two films here, one is a crime caper about a bunch of diamond thieves and the police and a special diamond Gman trying to stop them the second is about a huge space cloud that has a sweet tooth for diamonds and is causing havoc and destruction in its quest for its next meal 6.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453670167.780387.jpg

Japan needs the help of Mothra when Godzilla goes on another rampage. 7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453670242.236170.jpg

Next viewing

Last edited by trebor8273; 24th January 2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 24th January 2016, 08:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Night Has Eyes (1942)

I saw this for the first time last month and indeed reviewed it on this very thread. I knew it would soon draw me back.

The Night Has Eyes is Superb viewing.
The Night Has Eyes.

I had to check this movie out after reading Dem's review. It's free on youtube but you get what you pay for, as the quality is terrible. I think that's why i didn't enjoy it as much as Dem did. Having said that i was actually thrilled by the ending, it is everything Dem said it was and i can also agree that it won't be a 'one watch 'title for me either... but next time i might track down a better quality version of the film, i think then i might actually be able to enjoy the movie as intended.

i'd give it a four out of five.

Like this? Share it using the links below!