All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179887Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2018, 01:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As always Frankie ... as always

Sold regarding Soultangler
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th May 2018, 01:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I said in my review something similar regarding Baskin. I enjoyed it but it's certainly flawed and far too much talk but has a nicely grim atmosphere.

Is Terrifier worth shelling out £7 for?
I'll probably try 'Baskin' again at some point, but it did feel a bit disappointing. The thing is, I'd been waiting to see it for at least six months, so ended up building a few too many false hopes. My best experiences are always with films I don't really care / know about at first.

'Terrifier' is one of those nice little finds. Again, not amazing, but still quite zesty. Nice to see the blood'n'guts approach back on screen. Can you remember when horror flicks seemed to get really graphic ten or fifteen years ago? Then it all gave way to crappy jump-scares, easily the cheapest horror gimmick there is. Anyway, I paid seven quid for my DVD. Was it worth it? Difficult to quantify these things. I've bought loads of new releases over the years for around the same amount and have regretted it later, not so with this one. But it's not like it's a limited edition, a boutique release or a bells and whistles upgrade, it's the kind of mass market video fodder that will be three quid in Asda in a few months.
Old 5th May 2018, 02:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I'll probably try 'Baskin' again at some point, but it did feel a bit disappointing. The thing is, I'd been waiting to see it for at least six months, so ended up building a few too many false hopes. My best experiences are always with films I don't really care / know about at first.

'Terrifier' is one of those nice little finds. Again, not amazing, but still quite zesty. Nice to see the blood'n'guts approach back on screen. Can you remember when horror flicks seemed to get really graphic ten or fifteen years ago? Then it all gave way to crappy jump-scares, easily the cheapest horror gimmick there is. Anyway, I paid seven quid for my DVD. Was it worth it? Difficult to quantify these things. I've bought loads of new releases over the years for around the same amount and have regretted it later, not so with this one. But it's not like it's a limited edition, a boutique release or a bells and whistles upgrade, it's the kind of mass market video fodder that will be three quid in Asda in a few months.
One to get then definitely, thanks. Keirarts likes it as well.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 5th May 2018, 03:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wer (2013)

In a nutshell - A human rights lawyer decides even werewolves have rights and tries to disprove the great hulking lump the French police have in custody didn't really slay a holidaying American family.

Sometimes a film really springs a surprise and Wer was one of them. Part legal battle part slayfest, if you thought Werewolf films could offer nothing new then you might be in for a nice surprise.

For a start the film has a decent budget. There are some great action sequences involving police hardware filmed in the centre of Lyon (Actually Bucharest) as well as out in the countryside and some wonderfully gruesome gore effects. The film is beautifully acted allowing for fine characterisation in a fairly talky opening half hour but it's all done so well that i was gripped by proceedings from first to last.

A mixture of crime, action, folklore and of course horror, all played out with maximum intensity, Wer is, along with Late Phases (2014), the best Lycan movie since Marshall's Dog Soldiers.

Oh, and the last line is a killer.

Please note. Contrary to reviews this is NOT a found footage film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wer-poster-rev.jpg (94.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 5th May 2018, 04:18 PM
Cult Addict

Lake Placid
A scuba diver is found torn in half with a prehistoric tooth found in him. This prompts a palaeontologist to investigate the incident. With the help of a sheriff and Bill pull an they discover a huge Croc.
I don't find this really memorable nor do I find it funny. There is one great scene with a bear, but that's it. I will say that at first Brendan Glee son frankly is there for a paycheck and doesn't give a toss. But in the second half he picks up.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 5th May 2018, 04:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One to get then definitely, thanks. Keirarts likes it as well.
Yeah. I pretty much concur with Frankie. Takes what I loved about all Hallows eve (art the clown) and runs with it. Surprisingly unpleasant (though the art sequences in All Hallows were hardly pg-13 ) in a good way. I pretty much shelled out for terrifier as a blind buy based on the strength of All Hallows and I paid a bit to get the blu. Personally I wasn't disappointed. As Frankie says the dvd will be £3 sooner or later.
Old 5th May 2018, 07:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tonight She Comes (2016). Got this because of the amazing cover, generally good reviews (Evil Dead/Cabin in the Woods).

Drunk students meet up to act like the cast of Road Trip & wonder about their missing friend in a cabin in the woods. Said friend turns up naked, sort-of dead & following them around to kill them like the thing in It Follows. A film which must have seemed great on paper turns into a jumbled mess as the entire cast are terrible, the film slow & jumbled......half way in & I know it's going to be in cex or the bin by next week.

Not great 2/10
Old 6th May 2018, 02:01 PM
Cult Master

This is a Bank holiday weekend here so I was thinking of doing a franchise marathon its between Phantasm and Nightmare on Elm Street excluding Freddy V Jason and the remake.
Old 6th May 2018, 02:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
This is a Bank holiday weekend here so I was thinking of doing a franchise marathon its between Phantasm and Nightmare on Elm Street excluding Freddy V Jason and the remake.
Phantasm I'd say

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 6th May 2018, 02:12 PM
Cult Veteran

I’d agree with Phantasm, the films are more consistently fun, Freddy gets a bit tedious towards the end!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!