All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched a couple of films today....

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION
this was a surprise, i was expecting a pretty bad Euro action film and what i got was a well acted, well choreographed dramatic action thriller. Good fight between Van Damme and Lundgren too and the film was directed really well by John Hyams and photographed by his dad Peter Hyams (Capricorn one/2010), the only problem i have with it was that it seemed more like a pilot for a Uni-sol Tv show than a movie....

LAND OF THE LOST

Now im the first to air my views on Will Farrel, i can't stand the man, i find him one note in everything he does and generally don't find him funny but for some reason i really enjoyed this, it had me giggling like a kid at some of the idiotic things that happens in the film, but the Danny McBride totally steals the film for me as he's one of the best comedy actors around at the moment.
Anna Friel's pretty good too and also quite hot. The main problem i had with the film is that it was marketed as a family film which it most definitely is not. It's full of crude innuendo's childish gross out humor and some pretty colorful language, still quite an amusing film...
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:59 PM
Cultist

I watched Popcorn and thought it was brilliant. I wasn't expecting much but I enjoyed the music, the bad guy, the make-up, the story, pretty much all of it. It could've ended stronger perhaps but the rest of the movie was very entertaining.

I also watched Dracula: Prince of Darkness which I thought was incredibly well made and a hilarious end. Is there a boxset with all of these Dracula movies in? If not, I'd love to see it happen in the future.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:05 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

PSYCHED BY THE 4-D WITCH

From the back of the dvd:

"...the most maddening, jaw-dropping, and mind-bending piece of celluloid lunacy ever to play American movie theaters. Innocent Cindy becomes possessed by the sex-crazed spirit of a Salem witch while her brother becomes 'the King of Sex Vampires' in this crackpot oddity told almost entirely in LSD style psychedelic effects."

Bonkers, bonkers, bonkers. A mad dash through early 70s sex occultism via Kenneth Anger and cheap thrills. It looks like it may have at one point contained hardcore sex scenes but who knows, there is no info anywhere (that I can find) on this film other than reviews. Anyone have any details on it's history or maker? Filmed in Trans-Etheric Vision and containing a fantastic fuzz guitar theme song "Beware of the 4-D Witch".

A total head f*** and well worth risking your sanity to watch it.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - The good.

Prince Of The Sun - The bad.

The Wizard Of Gore (Original) - The ugly.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:52 PM
Cultist in Training

Spasmo - I thought I'd lost my mind watching it but then discovered it did make some kind of weird sense by the end.

The French Sex Murders - entertaining nonsense

Zeta One - utter crap of the highest order

Take an easy ride - brilliant
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Private Parts
I'm not normally a great fan of US horror, but this early 70s cross between Psycho and some kind of twisted giallo is a bit of a minor gem.

Horror Hospital
Deliciously bonkers UK horror from the 70s ( when else? ) with Michael Gough hamming it up like never before. They really don't make 'em like this any more! And Dark Sky's print is fantastic.

Old 23rd July 2010, 03:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched THE BOUNTY HUNTER with Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston, pretty much a straight foward rip-off of Midnight Run, watch the latter instead...
Old 23rd July 2010, 03:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That was pretty much what I said in my review except I lumped it with the real big budget garbage that I've reviewed like Max Payne, Marley & Me and Bride Wars.
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just read your review Nos, pretty much exactly what i was thinking while watching it. infact i can't even be arsed to waste time properly reviewing it. instead i'll just say watch Midnight Run instead..
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:36 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

I went to see Toy Story 3 with a mate today. It was as good, no scrap that - it was BETTER than the hype. Simply amazing from start to finish. And trust me you will feel your heart-stings pulling. Pixar has done it again!

Like this? Share it using the links below!