Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28680Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Some interesting choices, Hivemind.

An Unearthly Child, first episode aside, i find a bit of a chore to get through. I'd have picked The Mutants (The Daleks), instead.

Talons is an obvious choice but i avoided that as the best release of the story is in a Revisitations set and would therefore cost more money. Robot i've always thought was just okay.

I watched The Awakening last week again. It still stands up. I remember when it was transmitted, i was sure it was a sequel to The Daemons. Mawdryn Undead is one of those stories i don't watch very often and is due a rewatch, Arc of Infinity falls into that category, in fact the whole season does, so i watched Arc over two nights this week... and thoroughly enjoyed it. Frontios is just brilliant.

I'd always choose Ghost Light as well as Fenric and Survival, not to mention Remembrance of the Daleks if asked about McCoy's adventures. Four very different stories that show how varied the show really is.

I've said before on here. Season 26 is probably my favourite season of Doctor Who. and as with everything is always about personal choice.
Mawdryn is the best story from the Black Guardian Trilogy. Terminus is just a sorry mess, and I often avoid it totally. Enlightenment is certainly a somewhat underrated Dr Who story with a fairly decent plot. I did find Ghost Light something of a laborious story to watch, but it's always been individual opinion over what you feel works for you. Marc Platt was a superb writer though. Doctor Who needed a mixture of Who writers who could deliver far more diverse package of enjoyable stories. Season 27 was shaping up to be rather intriguing.

It's always been a crying shame that Season 26 of Dr Who didn't have the much needed follow through with Season 27. There's no doubt that Nathan-Turner was going to hand over the producer role to Cartmel. Everything was gradually producing the goods with Season 26. I've always had mixed feelings about Battlefield. The Destroyer was superbly realized and needed to be used a bit more in story. Survival was a nicely dark and moody end to the series in 1989. I can just remember watching the transmission of Survival in December of that year. Then no more Dr Who. The combination of Ben Aaronovitch, Ian Briggs and Marc Platt at the helm of Season 27 would of been what Doctor truly needed. A REAL shot in the arm. It's just another what if....

Maybe in another alternative dimension out in the universe there's another Season 27.
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:22 PM
Cult Master

I read somewhere that the four books in the New Adventure 'Timewyrm' series - 'Timewyrm: Genesys', 'Timewyrm: Exodus', 'Timewyrm: Apocalypse' and 'Timewyrm: Revelation' - were intended to be season 27 IF it had continued

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I read somewhere that the four books in the New Adventure 'Timewyrm' series - 'Timewyrm: Genesys', 'Timewyrm: Exodus', 'Timewyrm: Apocalypse' and 'Timewyrm: Revelation' - were intended to be season 27 IF it had continued
That's intresting. I never got the chance in the 1990's to buy the Virgin books New Adventure series. I think that one of the writers of season 26, Ben Aaronovitch, had planned a story called Earth Aid with a new alien race of insects who were modeled on Samurai warriors. And wasn't Ace meant to of joined the Time Lords?
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
From reading them i really doubt it. Although i can't remember plot points they were extremely 'ambitious', adult in tone, confusing as hell and in the format i read totally unsuitable.

Of the four stories only Terrance Dicks' Exodus which was a follow up to The War Games was anything like tv Doctor Who.

According to Andrew Cartmell the four stories for season 27 were called Thin Ice, Crime of the Century, Animal and Earth Aid. Brigadier Bambera and UNIT would feature again also. The Ice Warriors would return and Ace and the Doctor would have a new traveling companion called Raine.
hivemind likes this.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah, that is completely not true Susan!

Truth is even the Cartmel BF season 27 is a vague approximation at best. Nothing was written or commissioned at the time, they just had a few vague ideas. The only exception appears to be Night Thoughts, which was ironically put out (slightly rewritten to include Hex) as part of the BF normal range rather than the Lost Stories!
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
It's odd isn't it? The stories that weren't made such as Cold ice featuring the Ice Warriors, and the Colin Baker story with the Master, Autons, Rani etc always sound a better proposition than the ones that did make it to our screen.
hivemind likes this.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Truth is even the Cartmel BF season 27 is a vague approximation at best. Nothing was written or commissioned at the time, they just had a few vague ideas. The only exception appears to be Night Thoughts, which was ironically put out (slightly rewritten to include Hex) as part of the BF normal range rather than the Lost Stories!
The role of Raine, providing there was some semblance of story outline already would easily have become Hex to suit BF at the time.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

There was a full script, with Ace. The author had had it in his attic for years and forgotten about it, until someone suggested sending it to BF.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There was a full script, with Ace. The author had had it in his attic for years and forgotten about it, until someone suggested sending it to BF.
A full script? Go on then, briefly, whats it about?
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Maybe in another alternative dimension out in the universe there's another Season 27.
The news McCoy's leaving has come as a shock.

Wonder who'll be the next Doctor?

The bookies seem to favor Richard O' Sullivan but former companion Bonnie Langford suggests it should be a woman and Janet Street Porter would be the perfect choice.

I've heard John Nathan Turner fancies two Geordie lads from that new ITV series Byker Grove to be the new Doctor's companions.

Oh and by the way. I hated the season finale - The Return of Mysterio. Superheroes are something out of the 70's, not 1990. That stories writer - Beryl Virtue - has no idea what makes good Doctor Who

hivemind likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!