Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28680Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A full script? Go on then, briefly, whats it about?
The Doctor and Ace arrive on this small island where a group of scientists are up to something shonky, as well as hiding a dark secret regarding something that happened a decade earlier. And then people start getting bumped off one by one... Buy the Big Finish audio, it's the best Sylv I've heard!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th February 2017, 10:52 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Magicians Apprentice (2015)

From the opening gambit as the snakelike Colony Sarf (in a game of spot the Who alien) and more drastically, Missy, attempt to locate the Doctor, this feels like season finale time. Not the opening episode of season 9 of Doctor Who which the BBC trailed with the line 'Same old, same old'.

The Magicians Apprentice is anything but 'same old, same old', it's epic television. From the apocalyptic sight of planes seemingly trapped in the sky to the reintroduction of the dying Davros, not to mention the rebuilt city-scapes of Skaro and also the Daleks themselves. Lots of Daleks from every era of the show, and at their malevolent best in an extermination cliffhanger that had fans champing at the bit to know what happens next.

The Magicians Apprentice (one embarrassing guitar playing, tank riding misstep aside) is brilliantly written Doctor Who from executive producer Steven Moffat. From it's moral dilemmas to it's nod to a great story from the classic series, 21st century Doctor Who is at it's very best here.

Sadly things could only go one way.

Mojo, trebor8273, hivemind and 1 others like this.
Old 4th February 2017, 10:56 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 22

The Ark (1966)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Ark (1).jpg (74.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 4th February 2017, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
The Magicians Apprentice (2015)

From the opening gambit as the snakelike Colony Sarf (in a game of spot the Who alien) and more drastically, Missy, attempt to locate the Doctor, this feels like season finale time. Not the opening episode of season 9 of Doctor Who which the BBC trailed with the line 'Same old, same old'.

The Magicians Apprentice is anything but 'same old, same old', it's epic television. From the apocalyptic sight of planes seemingly trapped in the sky to the reintroduction of the dying Davros, not to mention the rebuilt city-scapes of Skaro and also the Daleks themselves. Lots of Daleks from every era of the show, and at their malevolent best in an extermination cliffhanger that had fans champing at the bit to know what happens next.

The Magicians Apprentice (one embarrassing guitar playing, tank riding misstep aside) is brilliantly written Doctor Who from executive producer Steven Moffat. From it's moral dilemmas to it's nod to a great story from the classic series, 21st century Doctor Who is at it's very best here.

Sadly things could only go one way.

You couldn't get better with new Who. Certainly one story that will be remembered for all the right reasons. But like you said..."things could only go one way". Very sad.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th February 2017, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
You couldn't get better with new Who. Certainly one story that will be remembered for all the right reasons. But like you said..."things could only go one way". Very sad.
This is my first time revisiting series 9. I only got the box set at Christmas. Second time around i was truly wowed by this episode and can't wait until next week for the second part.

I'm really not looking forward to the two Ashaldir episodes.
Old 4th February 2017, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
From reading them i really doubt it. Although i can't remember plot points they were extremely 'ambitious', adult in tone, confusing as hell and in the format i read totally unsuitable.

Of the four stories only Terrance Dicks' Exodus which was a follow up to The War Games was anything like tv Doctor Who.

According to Andrew Cartmell the four stories for season 27 were called Thin Ice, Crime of the Century, Animal and Earth Aid. Brigadier Bambera and UNIT would feature again also. The Ice Warriors would return and Ace and the Doctor would have a new traveling companion called Raine.
There's no doubt that Cartmell's stories were far more consistent and more intriguing than what new Who has delivered in recent years. Just look at the shoddy Planet of the Dead, End of Time, Fear Her, Love & Monsters, Aliens of London etc... and it goes on. And it's fair to say that we've have had some decent stories since the show returned in 2005, but misses far out way the hits. The only problem I can see with Cartmell's stories is cost. Had the new series been given the go-ahead by BBC, I doubt many of these stories would of had a substantial budget awarded to them under a new producer, though even back then, the BBC could of opted for a co-production partner like Australian Broadcasting Corp to help with budget costs . These stories feel more ambitious in scope. But does make you wonder what Doctor Who could of been like under Cartmell. Probably Dr Who needed that new blood to re-address the balance with both the BBC and the auidence.
Old 4th February 2017, 01:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
There's no doubt that Cartmell's stories were far more consistent and more intriguing than what new Who has delivered in recent years. Just look at the shoddy Planet of the Dead, End of Time, Fear Her, Love & Monsters, Aliens of London etc... and it goes on. And it's fair to say that we've have had some decent stories since the show returned in 2005, but misses far out way the hits. The only problem I can see with Cartmell's stories is cost. Had the new series been given the go-ahead by BBC, I doubt many of these stories would of had a substantial budget awarded to them under a new producer, though even back then, the BBC could of opted for a co-production partner like Australian Broadcasting Corp to help with budget costs . These stories feel more ambitious in scope. But does make you wonder what Doctor Who could of been like under Cartmell. Probably Dr Who needed that new blood to re-address the balance with both the BBC and the auidence.
I sort of agree, however the Cartmell script editor era was a **** up from day one. Yes season 26 was brilliant, but seasons 24 and 25 were, Remembrance of the Daleks aside, average to bleedin' awful.

I didn't like the way they were turning the Doctor into an all powerful being, destroyer of Skaro, the entire Cyber fleet, infinite rice pudding.

As for 21st century Doctor Who? Yes there have been some poor episodes - Fear Her, Nightmare in Silver, The Girl Who Died, The Woman Who Lived and Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS are all awful but in my opinion not as bad as Time and the Rani , Paradise Towers or The Underwater Menace The others you mention are merely average, no better or worse than Delta and the Bannermen or Meglos.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th February 2017, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I sort of agree, however the Cartmell script editor era was a **** up from day one. Yes season 26 was brilliant, but seasons 24 and 25 were, Remembrance of the Daleks aside, average to bleedin' awful.

I didn't like the way they were turning the Doctor into an all powerful being, destroyer of Skaro, the entire Cyber fleet, infinite rice pudding.

As for 21st century Doctor Who? Yes there have been some poor episodes - Fear Her, Nightmare in Silver, The Girl Who Died, The Woman Who Lived and Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS are all awful but in my opinion not as bad as Time and the Rani , Paradise Towers or The Underwater Menace The others you mention are merely average, no better or worse than Delta and the Bannermen or Meglos.
That's what I found very un-Doctor Who was the Tyler soap opera saga getting in the way of the stories. I often felt like I was watching Eastenders at times. And it did jar with the flow of the stories. Eric Saward hated Pip and Jane Baker's stories, and for good reason. I think a lot of the Doctor behaving like some sort of God was somewhat over the top, but that could of been addressed with the new season. Obviously we'll never know what the outcome would of been. You can add Boomtown, The Long Game, Rise of the Cybermen and Age of Steel. The alternative reality Cybermen stories wasn't really needed in my view. Rose was a good introduction story. The Unquiet Dead and Dalek were magic, and very Doctor Who. Didn't mind the finale, Bad Wolf and The Parting of the Ways.
Old 4th February 2017, 05:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Skim viewed earlier the colour version of Power Of The Daleks, it looked and sounded fantastic. There is also a great booklet included on the history and making of POTD.
Old 4th February 2017, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Skim viewed earlier the colour version of Power Of The Daleks, it looked and sounded fantastic. There is also a great booklet included on the history and making of POTD.
I presume it's the same booklet as the dvd release. Sort of a time line presentation. Begins with the words 'Continuing the series'.
tele1962 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!