Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28687Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2018, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you listened to a lot?

Wondered if you could recommend any.

I tend to go for ones with classic monsters like Daleks and Cybermen other than that i'm a bit in the dark.
All the ones I've listened to have been good have to try to remember the ones that stood out, really enjoyed the Mcgann ones I listened to, made of really good doctor, same goes for Colin who is giving lot better storys than here.
Old 10th December 2018, 10:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
All the ones I've listened to have been good have to try to remember the ones that stood out, really enjoyed the Mcgann ones I listened to, made of really good doctor, same goes for Colin who is giving lot better storys than here.
Colin won a lot more fans thanks to Big Finish. Personally i liked him on screen though. He was a breath of fresh air in The Twin Dilemma but had mellowed by Attack of the Cybermen and by Trial of a Timelord he and Peri seemed like star crossed lovers.

It was a genuine thrill to see McGann back for the fiftieth even if it was only a minisode. Would love to see him given a season properly. It could be done easily. Jodie could say to Graham "A long time ago...." and there we go a -flash back series for McGann.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 10th December 2018, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Did you ever hear The Chimes of Midnight?

A classic haunted house tale. McGann and India Fisher were excellent in it.

I also loved the story The Juggernauts. Davros and the Mechanoids. Classic stuff. Even Bonnie Langford was good in that.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:30 AM
Cult Master

December 11th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1914 - Richard Mathews (Rassilon in The Five Doctors)

1927 - Bill McGuffie (music conductor on the movie Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150AD)

1932 - Reg Whitehead (Cyberman in The Tenth Planet [Krail & Jarl], The Moonbase and The Tomb of the Cybermen and a Yeti in The Abominable Snowmen)

1937 - Stephen Moore (Eldane in Cold Blood and Clark Goodman in the Big Finish audios The Eight Truths/Worldwide Web)

1940 - Tony Adams (Elgin in The Green Death and the spoof documentary Global Conspiracy)

1945 - Zienia Merton (Ping-Cho in Marco Polo and the Registrar in the Sarah Jane Adventures story The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith)

1948 - Richard Stewart (producer of the Doctor Who spin-off K9)
1962 - Ben Browder (Isaac in A Town Called Mercy)

Deaths
1992 - Michael Robbins (Richard Mace in The Visitation) aged 62

2003 - Malcolm Clarke (music composer on The Sea Devils, Earthshock, Enlightenment, Resurrection of the Daleks, The Twin Dilemma, Attack of the Cybermen and episodes 9-12 of The Trial of a Time Lord) aged 60

2004 - Christopher Blake (Professor Ptolem in the Big Finish audio The Mutant Phase) aged 55

2014 - Tom Adams (Vorshak in Warriors of the Deep) aged 76

Episodes
1965 - The Daleks' Master Plan, Episode Five ('Counter Plot'): 9.9 million viewers
2003 - Scream of the Shalka, Part Five (webcast)

Documentaries
2006 - Torchwood Declassified: Dead Man Walking (BBC Three)

Releases
1980 - Issue 48 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1986 - Issue 120 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)
2003 - Issue 338 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)

2008 - Number 1, Gallows Gate Road, Part Two (online short story); issue 94 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines); issue 403 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)
2013 - Issue 335 of Doctor Who Adventures (Immediate Media Co.)
2014 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 90 (Big Finish Productions); issue 481 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)

Behind-the-Scenes
2011 - The BBC announced that episode three of Galaxy 4 and episode episode two of The Underwater Menace were recovered
2012 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Eldrad Must Die

2013 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Tomb Ship took place
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th December 2018, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 685

Two of the Sisterhood of Karn from the 1976 story The Brain of Morbius.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg who-morbius2.jpg (74.1 KB, 30 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 02:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A KISS guitarist tries a new make-up design and a KISS bass player appears without make-up!
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th December 2018, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
A KISS guitarist tries a new make-up design and a KISS bass player appears without make-up!
Yeah, but witch is witch.
Old 11th December 2018, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Dull, depressing, boring.

Tim Shaw has the look of a great villain. But utilised terribly.

Yet again Graham was the only good thing about that Story.

So to recap we have had one pretty good Story this year, a few average/5 or 6 out of 10 ones and the rest being bad or terrible.

Almost every Doctor Who Season between 1-20 (not counting 21-26 until I get through them) is better than this. And every single Series post 2005 has been better than this.
Old 11th December 2018, 04:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post

Almost every Doctor Who Season between 1-20 (not counting 21-26 until I get through them) is better than this. And every single Series post 2005 has been better than this.
I agree. This was easily the worst series of Doctor Who in it's 55 year history.

A pity because it was also one of the best looking ones from a cinematography point of view.

For me only The Woman Who Fell to Earth and The Witchfinders would make it into the top 200 stories. The majority of the series would be in the bottom ten which when you consider there are 286 in total is pretty poor.
iank likes this.
Old 11th December 2018, 05:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Series 11 has been full of non-threatening villains/"monsters" and writing which has hurt Jodie's portrayal of the Doctor. She's a great actress who hasn't had a fair chance, she deserves better...

What we need is Jodie on her own squaring off with an old foe. Have confidence in her. Lets see her gravitas. Currently with the way things are Davros (played by any actor but especially Wisher) would dominate her.

She just talks and talks and talks but its all nonsense. Woman Who Feel to Earth gave a false start: when she made that leap across the crane or whatever it was I thought "yes, its an average Story to start with like Castrovalva (sorry guys) she seems to be getting involved in decent life-endangering action to save people". All ruined of course by the subsequent Stories with only It Takes You Away giving Jodie a decent opportunity to work.

But I have little faith in Chibnall. I am not taking the p$%$ here when I say that I and all of the regular contributors to this thread could probably write, say, a decent Dalek Story and make Jodie a better character. It may not be up there with Genesis but it'd certainly be better than practically anything from the last Series: and that's because we UNDERSTAND the character of the Doctor and how the show works.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!