LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2016, 11:24 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Anything where turtles die is bound to get me blubbing. They're so cute. I've had a pet tortoise since i was 4 years old, so i guess its linked to that, but damn i hate seeing turtles get eaten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
They weren't getting eaten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Good.
I imagine the ones which were caught by the crabs were later devoured by their captors. However, the ones which were confused by the bright lights of Barbados were, according to a BBC spokesperson, all caught by locals or members of the crew and taken to the sea.
Old 13th December 2016, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I imagine the ones which were caught by the crabs were later devoured by their captors. However, the ones which were confused by the bright lights of Barbados were, according to a BBC spokesperson, all caught by locals or members of the crew and taken to the sea.
You could see the crushed corpses on the road.
Old 13th December 2016, 11:41 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You could see the crushed corpses on the road.
Possibly from previous days when they weren't filming? I was just going from this video and article:
The Planet Earth 2 crew put every turtle hatchling it saw or filmed back in the sea | The Independent
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th December 2016, 09:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Had a weird sense of deja vu on Monday night. I found myself watching a programme called Time Commanders and thinking 'haven't i seen this before?' Why are BBC 4 showing ancient repeats? Then i thought 'hang on, doesn't Richard Hammond present this, not baldy bloke from Masterchef?'

After a bit of research, i then discovered that i had indeed seen it before...in 2003! Talk about a long break before a new series!

It was about how i remember it, a way to kill an hour watching dweebs shout at pixels.
Old 14th December 2016, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

On the buses season 1&2

Red dwarf season 2

A ghost story for Christmas ( whistle and I'll come to you)
Old 14th December 2016, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Anyone watch BBC Rillington place,
I thought it was superbly made, very atmospheric and gritty, and Tim roth was excellent and extremely on top form.
Only donwfall i had was it concentrated more on his characters, and relationship with his wife, and same with tim and his wife, instead of what christie was and the crimes he committed, you only got the true effect in the back half of the last episode. But it makes me want to revisit the film again soon since i havent seen it in over 20yrs

Last edited by gag; 14th December 2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 15th December 2016, 06:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

No, but my sister recommended it to me, so I'm gonna watch on catch up.
John Christie was born in the village I live in, although he never gets a mention in any of the history books the village historical society publish, I wonder why

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th December 2016, 01:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I also watched the third and final episode of Rillington Place last night and, a few quibbles aside, thought it was a fine period drama about one of Britain's most unusual serial killers. John Christie seems to be overshadowed when compared to Jack the Ripper, Hindley and Brady, Peter Sutcliffe, Fred and Rose West, and Harold Shipman. What he did was appalling, but it seems there is some doubt about how many people he killed because he took many of his secrets to his grave and killed those, such as his wife, who would know more details. It is curious that he collected pubic hair from his victims and had some in his possession which did not match any of the bodies found in his house, and I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to Geraldine Evans, and why.

The TV series does have some historical inaccuracies, such as showing Christie as a slightly stooped man whereas he was apparently very tall and thin, and I'm not sure why Timothy Evans' Welsh accent came and went, but that struck me as odd. That aside, Tim Roth and Samantha Morton were both brilliant, the period design was exceptional, and the general feeling of dread and despair which permeated the show made for some very uncomfortable viewing.

I think it would make a good companion piece with 10 Rillington Place, with the film showing Christie committing the murders, something absent from the TV show, so I'll probably rewatch the film soon.
Old 15th December 2016, 01:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I also watched the third and final episode of Rillington Place last night and, a few quibbles aside, thought it was a fine period drama about one of Britain's most unusual serial killers. John Christie seems to be overshadowed when compared to Jack the Ripper, Hindley and Brady, Peter Sutcliffe, Fred and Rose West, and Harold Shipman. What he did was appalling, but it seems there is some doubt about how many people he killed because he took many of his secrets to his grave and killed those, such as his wife, who would know more details. It is curious that he collected pubic hair from his victims and had some in his possession which did not match any of the bodies found in his house, and I wonder if we will ever find out what happened to Geraldine Evans, and why.

The TV series does have some historical inaccuracies, such as showing Christie as a slightly stooped man whereas he was apparently very tall and thin, and I'm not sure why Timothy Evans' Welsh accent came and went, but that struck me as odd. That aside, Tim Roth and Samantha Morton were both brilliant, the period design was exceptional, and the general feeling of dread and despair which permeated the show made for some very uncomfortable viewing.

I think it would make a good companion piece with 10 Rillington Place, with the film showing Christie committing the murders, something absent from the TV show, so I'll probably rewatch the film soon.
I always think that any film and tv show will always have some inaccuracies as you said, but as long as the main story and facts are correct in things like how they died, or how many they killed I think small minor details are not that important, cant get every detail right I guess, but it deffo was done and made extremely well and got under your skin, and that's how horrors should be especialy stories based on true people, no good if its done wrong and there no emotions or feelings good or bad towards the killer or the victims .. you've got to get into to imagine the horror and that's exactly what did they did. and as you said ( Christie committing the murders, something absent from the TV show) which I mentioned and also agree with. it was only the back end of the episode you got to see the real Christie and the murderer he was .
Old 15th December 2016, 02:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Whistle and I'll Come to You (2010)

Taking liberties with MR James original story in having the central character, Parkins, as a married man who has just placed his wife, sadly in the latter stages of dementia, into a care home where she sits in an almost cataleptic state and visiting the place on the sea shore where they used to holiday together, gives the story a whole new texture and reason for being rather than the roaming bachelor of the original written word.

The differences in story mean it's easy to watch and enjoy both this version starring John Hurt and the more faithful 1968 original with Michael Hordern practically back to back without any sense of deja-vu.

Scary stuff, whichever version you watch.

Like this? Share it using the links below!