Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2018, 08:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

The new Twin Peaks. Oh dear. To be honest, I thought this was mostly a pile of complete bollocks. I had my concerns from day 1, partly because of the time gap, and partly because I never liked the movie much and heard this was more like that than the original series, but still... talk about a patience tester. Not so much a new season of Twin Peaks as David Lynch actively taking the piss for 18 episodes. There was about maybe 10% of some gold in there, but 90% of it just irked or bored the shit out of me, and by the end I was just "Go away".
Can't imagine I'll ever sit through this again.
Old 2nd April 2018, 05:43 AM
Cult Master

The return of 'The Generation Game' was painful to say the least

Hosts Mel and Sue were out of their depth, and seemed to have no chemistry with the contestants. Bruce and Larry were both great - playfully mocking people, and poking fun at them, but M&S were too polite (if such a thing exists)

The games themselves were abysmal - the potters wheel, sausage making, Bollywood dancing and plate spinning (complete with health and safety eye protectors [but without any kind of irony]). Even the final game was a missed opportunity. In the past, it had been a highlight, but here is was a comedy sketch with stars M&S, guest appearances by Martin Kemp & Basil Brush and a walk-on by two 'stars' of reality television - a fat girl and a guy with only one name, who I have been informed were from TOWIE. All the actual contestants had to do was a short dance, and a speech in a funny accent

How can you go wrong with the conveyor belt? Very easily it seems! We were told to watch out for a special prize, but as soon as the Elvis impersonator went past, I said to Chloe 'Looks like it's a holiday in Vegas'...and it was!

At least the cuddly toy was still there, even tho the contestants didn't mention it when they were doing the remembering bit. How can you forget the cuddly toy? That IS 'The Generation Game'!

Proof positive that good, variety based family entertainment-type shows on television are now dead in the water

It's on again next Sunday, but I think I'll give it a miss

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The return of 'The Generation Game' was painful to say the least

Hosts Mel and Sue were out of their depth, and seemed to have no chemistry with the contestants. Bruce and Larry were both great - playfully mocking people, and poking fun at them, but M&S were too polite (if such a thing exists)

The games themselves were abysmal - the potters wheel, sausage making, Bollywood dancing and plate spinning (complete with health and safety eye protectors [but without any kind of irony]). Even the final game was a missed opportunity. In the past, it had been a highlight, but here is was a comedy sketch with stars M&S, guest appearances by Martin Kemp & Basil Brush and a walk-on by two 'stars' of reality television - a fat girl and a guy with only one name, who I have been informed were from TOWIE. All the actual contestants had to do was a short dance, and a speech in a funny accent

How can you go wrong with the conveyor belt? Very easily it seems! We were told to watch out for a special prize, but as soon as the Elvis impersonator went past, I said to Chloe 'Looks like it's a holiday in Vegas'...and it was!

At least the cuddly toy was still there, even tho the contestants didn't mention it when they were doing the remembering bit. How can you forget the cuddly toy? That IS 'The Generation Game'!

Proof positive that good, variety based family entertainment-type shows on television are now dead in the water

It's on again next Sunday, but I think I'll give it a miss
I tend to think IMO they bring show back but their like remakes of films they lack the original concept and substance of what it as about with lack of emotion and substance etc they are just bland and a horrible mess, sometimes they bring shows back and put the wrong people as presenters , sometimes I'm not sure who can fill the host footsteps but at same time you know certain people can't as well , its not the presenters fault their just doing a job
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Has anyone seen izombie ?
Sam watches it but from the clips I've seen it just looks terrible and naff .
Old 2nd April 2018, 01:08 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Season 12 of trailer park boys all 10 episodes in one sitting thanks to Netflix . TPB is always changing and trying to keep things fresh sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work but I'm a life long fan of the boys and I will always be along for the journey no matter where they go. I have said it before when I had my tribute to the passing of John Dunsworth aka Officer and trailer park supervisor Mr Jim Lahey aka the liquor but I have an emotional connection to these characters and the show itself.

Season 12 has some great moments and some really overly long scenes that just drag with some weak dialogue that could of been a lot shorter and snappy to make it work better but the high points got me through those weaker moment. Season 1- 6 are complete comedy gold after that its been up and down but I try not to live in a past and go with the flow and understand that this has been going for 20 years and it still gets a laugh from me so it is doing exactly what it sets out to do.

The final scene almost brought me to tears but I had to maintain my manly image in from of my girlfriend

Long Live the Boys and Long Live The Liqour.
Old 2nd April 2018, 01:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Season 12 of trailer park boys all 10 episodes in one sitting thanks to Netflix . TPB is always changing and trying to keep things fresh sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work but I'm a life long fan of the boys and I will always be along for the journey no matter where they go. I have said it before when I had my tribute to the passing of John Dunsworth aka Officer and trailer park supervisor Mr Jim Lahey aka the liquor but I have an emotional connection to these characters and the show itself.

Season 12 has some great moments and some really overly long scenes that just drag with some weak dialogue that could of been a lot shorter and snappy to make it work better but the high points got me through those weaker moment. Season 1- 6 are complete comedy gold after that its been up and down but I try not to live in a past and go with the flow and understand that this has been going for 20 years and it still gets a laugh from me so it is doing exactly what it sets out to do.

The final scene almost brought me to tears but I had to maintain my manly image in from of my girlfriend

Long Live the Boys and Long Live The Liqour.
4c185a026ff53c587716c01068c58f29--jim-lahey-trailer-park-boys.jpg
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 02:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Taking a short break from Columbo and Tales of the Unexpected, which I'm still very much enjoying, I began watching The Prisoner yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. It is a show I've seen parodied and referenced in other media like The Simpsons, but never watched before. I was amazed at the AV quality, which is quite exceptional for a TV series from 1967/68, and found it really enjoyable and absorbing.

I wanted something short to watch before it went to sleep and, following a recommendation from my brother, watched the first episode of The Good Place. If you have Netflix, I highly recommend it because I absolutely loved it and will probably binge watch the two series in the next week.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 2nd April 2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 2nd April 2018, 03:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Taking a short break from Colombo and Tales of the Unexpected, which I'm still very much enjoying, I began watching The Prisoner yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. It is a show I've seen parodied and referenced in other media like The Simpsons, but never watched before. I was amazed at the AV quality, which is quite exceptional for a TV series from 1967/68, and found it really enjoyable and absorbing.
Your review made me have a look for The Prisoner on Amazon. I managed to get the original box set with Andrew Pixley's book on the series for under £8 from Momox. Says it's used - very good, so fingers crossed.

Even Network themselves don't have the edition with the book anymore.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 03:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Your review made me have a look for The Prisoner on Amazon. I managed to get the original box set with Andrew Pixley's book on the series for under £8 from Momox. Says it's used - very good, so fingers crossed.

Even Network themselves don't have the edition with the book anymore.
I'm not sure if this will change in later episodes but, for a show which is 50 years old, it doesn't feel particularly dated because of the futuristic setting.

I don't have the original release with the the book, just the large HD keep case with six discs (four BDs and two DVDs).
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Armchair Thriller: The Limbo Connection. James Bolam is a hard drinking failing writer whose wife disappears after an emergency admittance into a private clinic for food poisoning. The police begin to look at him as a possible suspect, but Bolam begins to suspect she never left the clinic and that they are hiding some very dark secrets... Bolam is on great form in this entertaining installment from the late 70s British anthology thriller series, with some great guest support from many names that Who fans will recognise - Milton Johns, Christopher Benjamin and even Beatrix Lehmann, who I've never previously seen in anything other than The Stones of Blood! I really enjoyed this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!