Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2021, 09:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watched all of The Chestnut Man yesterday. Absolutely cracking stuff.
Old 1st October 2021, 02:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Watched all of The Chestnut Man yesterday. Absolutely cracking stuff.
Just started it.
iank likes this.
Old 2nd October 2021, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Squid game, apparently you should watch it in English and not dubbed because some of the correct dialogue is lost in translation .

https://www.whattowatch.com/news/wha...hit-squid-game

What’s being lost in translation in Netflix hit ‘Squid Game’

Some viewers are being distracted by the inaccuracies in the English subtitles on the series

It’s No 1 on Netflix and has taken the streaming channel by storm, on course to take over from Bridgerton as its biggest ever original series, but some viewers of Korean thriller Squid Game are unhappy that English-language viewers are missing out on key nuances in the show.

Some are complaining that the closed caption subtitles of the dubbed English version are way off the original Korean dialogue. So much so that important character information is being missed or misconstrued.

Squid Game is an ultra-violent, vibrant thriller from director Hwang Dong-hyuk which brings together 456 people who are heavily in debt and who are given six days to compete in six competitions based on popular Korean childhood games. The winner will receive around £30million and be able to pay off their debts, while the losers – all of them – will die.

It’s a premise that has made Squid Game a global sensation and has echoes of 2019 Best Picture Oscar winner Parasite, another thriller about the haves and have-nots of South Korean society.

Some viewers are not entirely happy with the series, however. A US comedian of Korean descent, Youngmi Mayer, has aimed a shot at the translation for Squid Game, saying “not to sound snobby but i’m fluent in korean and i watched squid game with english subtitles and if you don’t understand korean you didn’t really watch the same show”.

It’s important to note that Mayer is referring to the closed caption English subtitles, which match the dubbed English version of the show, as opposed to the English subtitles for the Korean dialogue. Closed caption subtitles are often used by viewers who are hard of hearing.

Mayer made a video explaining what was being lost in translation.

Her comment and subsequent TikTok video on the same point has gone viral on social media and inspired others to chip in with their comments.

One fan wrote: “With the woman "gangster" character I felt she was coming off nonsensical and unhinged but your translation helps ground that character more. I wish would provide better translation. ”

But another key contributor on Mayer’s Squid Game thread revealed that she actually translated English to Indonesian dialogue on Netflix and explained how the situation occurred.

Keishakarina said: “What happens is, we have this thing called “reading speed limit”, in which we can only use certain amount of characters to translate a dialogue. Thus in lots of subtitle, we have to “paraphrase” the dialogue so the translation fits.”

Squid Games is streaming now on Netflix. Find out what the fuss is about with everything you need to know on season 1 of Squid Game.

Meanwhile, Mayer joked about the fact her post has gone viral: "my squid game translation got so much attention i was thinking of changing careers from comedian to translator but realized that there is one job that pays less than comedian
MrBarlow likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 2nd October 2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

First 2 episodes of Locke & Key. On the fence so far.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th October 2021, 08:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Finished Locke & Key. Not bad. I'll watch season 2 when it drops.
Old 4th October 2021, 09:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Modern family appeared on Netflix so thought I’d give it a go, only watched first episode I really just couldn’t take to it .
Old 4th October 2021, 12:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Modern family appeared on Netflix so thought I’d give it a go, only watched first episode I really just couldn’t take to it .
I'd watch more than the first episode before deciding whether to stick with it or not. It takes a while to see the characters and relationships develop, so watch at least six episodes so you can make an informed decision about whether to watch more or give up.
Old 4th October 2021, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd watch more than the first episode before deciding whether to stick with it or not. It takes a while to see the characters and relationships develop, so watch at least six episodes so you can make an informed decision about whether to watch more or give up.
To be fair to gag, i can often tell from the first episode if i'll like a sitcom or not.

It's a bit like real life. First impressions count. They aren't the same as drama series.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 4th October 2021, 12:57 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
To be fair to gag, i can often tell from the first episode if i'll like a sitcom or not
I only need to see how long it takes until the first character utters the word "f*ck" to know if a modern (i.e post 1980's) sit-com is for me or not!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th October 2021, 05:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoying Squid Game (no thanks to some here COUGH), and would recommend it to most here. See how easy that is?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!