Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2021, 06:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

stargirl.jpg

I've been catching up with STARGIRL Season 2: Summer School as I missed some episodes.
The last episode I watched, with a huge fight in the school against The Injustice League was really good. Some awesome POV shots of Stargirl riding the staff and shots of Wildcat running like an animal.
This has been a good season so far with no sign of the usual CW nonsence.
The only let down is still Beth as Dr. Midnight. She is useless. The writers could at least give her some fighting skills and stop dressing a teenager like an old woman.
Old 7th October 2021, 07:34 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Recent watches:

The North Water:Based on Ian McGuire's novel of the same name, this follows Patrick Sumner (Jack O'Connell), a disgraced ex-army surgeon joins a whaling boat captained by Arthur Brownlee (Stephen Graham), a tough and principled man. When the cabin boy complains of stomach pains and an examination reveals he has been anally raped, Sumner wants to find the culprit but Brownlee isn't so interested, even when suspicion leads to harpooner Henry Drax (Colin Farrell), a saloon and brutish man.

It's an excellent five-part miniseries which I watched on iPlayer, definitely not the most enjoyable TV series I'll see this year, though certainly one of the best.

The Cleaner: Created and written by Greg Davies and based on a German comedy series, The Cleaner is a six part comedy show about the work of Paul 'Wicky' Wickstead, a crime scene cleaner who has pride in his work and an interesting way of interacting with those touched with the violent deaths he is responsible for cleaning up.

Each of the six episodes is a self-contained story about one death with the title reflecting the person with whom Wicky spends most of his time with (The Widow, The Writer, The Neighbour, The Aristocrat, The Influencer, The One).

They are very well written and performed – I think my favourites were The Widow with Helena Bonham Carter, The Writer with David Mitchell, and The Aristocrat, with Stephanie Cole and Donald Sumpter. They are also on iPlayer and very watchable.

Vigil: Vigil is about the Trident submarine of the same name, one of the vanguard-class ballistic missile submarines in the U.K.'s nuclear deterrent, and what happens when Craig Burke, a sonar operator, dies and his replacement is flown out to the submarine along with DCI Amy Silva.

The captain and other senior officers don't believe there is anything suspicious about Burke's death but Silva, who is processing a historical trauma which makes her three-day stay in such an enclosed environment a serious mental and physical challenge, believes he was murdered. Meanwhile, there is a parallel investigation on the mainland looking into Burke's movements and acquaintances, including how his movements involved a CND-style peace camp near the military base and a senior Scottish politician opposed to renewing Trident, the future of which will be decided in an upcoming parliamentary vote.

I thought this was a compelling series and very well written and directed. The performances by the entire cast, including Suranne Jones, Rose Leslie, Martin Compston, Daniel Portman, Shaun Evans, Stephen Dillane, and Paterson Joseph. (It was funny to see Lesley, Portman, and Dillane in the same series – though not in the same scenes – after watching them in Game of Thrones.)

I loved the 'whodunnit' aspect of the story and, now I have seen it and know what happened to Burke and why, will rewatch the series to see what clues (if any) I missed in the first few episodes. This is also on iPlayer, one of their UHD programmes and, because of the numerous dark scenes, was glad of the extra contrast and clarity.
Old 7th October 2021, 10:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Recent watches:

The North Water:Based on Ian McGuire's novel of the same name, this follows Patrick Sumner (Jack O'Connell), a disgraced ex-army surgeon joins a whaling boat captained by Arthur Brownlee (Stephen Graham), a tough and principled man. When the cabin boy complains of stomach pains and an examination reveals he has been anally raped, Sumner wants to find the culprit but Brownlee isn't so interested, even when suspicion leads to harpooner Henry Drax (Colin Farrell), a saloon and brutish man.

It's an excellent five-part miniseries which I watched on iPlayer, definitely not the most enjoyable TV series I'll see this year, though certainly one of the best.

Vigil: Vigil is about the Trident submarine of the same name, one of the vanguard-class ballistic missile submarines in the U.K.'s nuclear deterrent, and what happens when Craig Burke, a sonar operator, dies and his replacement is flown out to the submarine along with DCI Amy Silva.

The captain and other senior officers don't believe there is anything suspicious about Burke's death but Silva, who is processing a historical trauma which makes her three-day stay in such an enclosed environment a serious mental and physical challenge, believes he was murdered. Meanwhile, there is a parallel investigation on the mainland looking into Burke's movements and acquaintances, including how his movements involved a CND-style peace camp near the military base and a senior Scottish politician opposed to renewing Trident, the future of which will be decided in an upcoming parliamentary vote.

I thought this was a compelling series and very well written and directed. The performances by the entire cast, including Suranne Jones, Rose Leslie, Martin Compston, Daniel Portman, Shaun Evans, Stephen Dillane, and Paterson Joseph. (It was funny to see Lesley, Portman, and Dillane in the same series – though not in the same scenes – after watching them in Game of Thrones.)

I loved the 'whodunnit' aspect of the story and, now I have seen it and know what happened to Burke and why, will rewatch the series to see what clues (if any) I missed in the first few episodes. This is also on iPlayer, one of their UHD programmes and, because of the numerous dark scenes, was glad of the extra contrast and clarity.
Thought i'd get these two on Blu-ray. Especially Vigil. Pleased to read your thoughts on them, Nos.
Old 8th October 2021, 04:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brassic,

Just finished episode 4 if you thought first 2 series were entertaining then this one Ramps it up even more, odd scene that’ll make you want to gag, (ok no puns towards me ) funny, gross, entertaining , and highly recommended .
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 9th October 2021, 01:41 AM
Cult Acolyte

Young Sheldon. I don't particularly like Big Bang Theory - and pretty much gave up on it around season 4 when they started turning it into a nerd version of Friends - so haven't seen this before, but I gave it a go and it's actually really good and really funny. Halfway thru season 1 and I'd say it's superior to the show that spawned it. The kid is hilarious, and dead-on nails it.
Old 9th October 2021, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

OZ: Season 5

Another solid Season which sees the aftermath of the Bomb Explosion at the end of Season 4.

The Brotherhood turn on one of their own after a Dentist gets revenge on Robson.

Another cliffhanger at the end as well.

There was a change regarding the narration parts where in one episode, other characters do the talking (Or singing)
Old 10th October 2021, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished Squid Game.

Would still recommend.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th October 2021, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

OZ: Season 6

This was the final Season after being cancelled and whilst decent, I could see why the plug was pulled. After this Season ended, there wasn't many of the main characters left. However there was another cliffhanger at the end and there was some loose ends. Therefore, it would have been nice if there was an extra episode or an extended final episode.

I'm guessing that Governor Devlin would have been sent there as throughout the series, there was Corruption storylines as well as maybe Ryan O'Reilly may have gotten killed as he was constantly stirring things up and getting away with it.

This Season's Narrator's was a combination of most of the people who got killed (Which was a nice touch)

Overall, an enjoyable series with some great performances and storylines.

The narration parts were great as it was like a Chapter Section for each episode in which I could forward on the storylines, I didn't like.

Another aspect I liked was that every character introduction didn't mean that they were long term as some of them only lasted a couple of scenes.

The things I found unrealistic was that there was a serious lack of security cameras and the fact that there seemed to be a lot of corrupt Officers (Including on with a Arian Tattoo was allowed to stay in his job)
Old 11th October 2021, 10:01 AM
Cult Master

Half way through Squid Game its a fun watch there are times where i find it drags a little bit. Plenty of killing and blood so its all good.
Old 12th October 2021, 03:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatching gangs of London,
Saw it when it first come out ,
Episode 6 just that episode alone is worth watching the series for its compelling and action at its best ,
Fantastic show and comes highly recommended .
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!