Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2023, 08:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

More UFO then.
Well, they've cut down on the tabs and they've amped up the more "personal" material (possibly as Starker seems androidy at the best of times )
I keep having to remind myself of the timeslot this was originally shown, as it is bleak AF as it gets tbh including a thing that we don't see that often on tv cough cough.
I'm onto the third disc now (ep 12 is next etc) and am sold. Yes, tis a tad repetitive (the same five shots make up all the action sequences ahem) but what tv show isn't tbh?

More soon!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2023, 03:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Took a wee break from the moon of misery to peruse some of these Terrahawks then.
First 3 eps, of which we get an opening two parter and a ... memorable ... villain in the third ahem. The first does a decent enough job of setting up their stall. The commander is a right tight arse is my main impression
The rest of the gang seem a tad underwritten and all are of their time cough. I look forward to the rest.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th January 2023, 01:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'd heard good things about it from family and friends and because the third series was being broadcast, I decided to watch the first series of Happy Valley.

It's a gripping series, very well-written, and one that showcases the acting talents of Sarah Lancashire, Steve Pemberton, Joe Armstrong, James Norton, Siobhan Finneran, George Costigan, and youngster Rhys Connan.

I have seen the first five (six) episodes of The Rig and I'm really enjoying that so far as well.

It's a little like The Thing on an oil rig, but different because it seems the threat is more atmospheric/environmental than parasitic, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has Prime Video.

After finishing that later today, I'll watch the second series of Happy Valley and probably go straight onto the third before I inadvertently stumble across some spoilers for the latest series.

I've also been watching the 14th series of Would I Lie To You?, which seems a little strange compared to current TV because it was filmed a couple of years ago when Covid-19 cases were much higher and social distancing was in force, so the panellists are sitting a few metres apart, audience members and crew are wearing facemasks.

As usual, the blend of unbelievable truths and outrageous lies is a great format, particularly with skilled storytellers who can make absurd fabrications sound plausible and ridiculous true stories appear far-fetched and fallacious.
Old 24th January 2023, 02:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'd heard good things about it from family and friends and because the third series was being broadcast, I decided to watch the first series of Happy Valley.

It's a gripping series, very well-written, and one that showcases the acting talents of Sarah Lancashire, Steve Pemberton, Joe Armstrong, James Norton, Siobhan Finneran, George Costigan, and youngster Rhys Connan.
I thought the first series of Happy Valley was excellent. The murder of the police officer on the road on the moors was proper grueling viewing.

For whatever reason i haven't seen the second series therefore i didn't bother with the third.

I have the first on dvd so will probably get the remaining two series when the hype has died down and prices have dropped.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

Midway thru season 2 of Watching. Really can't remember it aside from the leads. I never even saw the last two seasons as they weren't shown here, with me being left with the rather downer cliffhanger of the season 5 Xmas special of Malcolm marrying someone else for decades! It's a lot of fun though, and Emma Wray really was very charming.
Old 29th January 2023, 11:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Started on The Sandbaggers and Hot Metal again last night. Classic British telly.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 13th February 2023, 08:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watching, well, Watching, season 4 and who should turn up as Malcolm's new apprentice in his workshop than Russell Boulter, aka DS John Boulton from The Bill! He's pretty much a regular this season. I had no memory of him being in this show.
He's a bit of a twat, mind, trying to crack onto Brenda behind Malcolm's back!
Old 13th February 2023, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the first season of Frasier on Blu ray , a great improvement on the old DVDs.

In first season Frasier has moved to his hometown of Seattle , were he becomes a radio psychiatrist. We are introduced to his friends and family through the season and the various misadventures they get into. A comedy that has aged like fine wine.
Old 14th February 2023, 09:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

UFO update

They've "flown in" Wanda Ventham for these last few episodes it seems, after mislaying her since the opener cough. Yet again, I feel this is to try and "humanise" Straker. Sewell has gorn (in search of a new hairdresser perhaps?) but fear not, the outlook is still bleak and sombre. David Warbeck pops up as a pilot in one, which was nice.

[B]
Old 17th February 2023, 07:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

UFO ... we're nearly done boo hoo hoo

Today I want to focus on the episode Mindbender, where those naughty aliens are really getting desperate.
This time they've gone for the "people appear strange and frightening" trope in the hope that S.H.A.D.O. will all just kill each other in a frenzy of mistaken identity.
Totally meta at one point, this was one of the highlights of the series imho. Actual blood on screen!

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!