Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13872Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2022, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished AOUAD, was a few highs and lows but was decent enough.

Just perused the first 3 episodes of From, starring the narrator from Oz and by some of the folk behind Lost ... but don't let that put you off
Am hooked tbh.
It's not set on an island

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd February 2022, 07:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I noticed I haven't put anything about what I've been watching on TV since December last year, so this is an update of everything I've watched since then:

Hanna: Season Two – I enjoyed the first season and this second one didn't disappoint. The show is well-written, directed, and acted, and is pretty involving with some good characters and dramatic tension.

Hawkeye – This works very well as a one-off, with a spinoff series focusing on one of the antagonists to follow. The Clint/Hawkeye is an interesting one because he is so damaged – both mentally and physically – and his rapport with a brilliant young archer, Kate (Hailee Steinfeld) and manages to be engaging in its own right and as a way of developing the story and characters from Avengers: Endgame.

What If…? – A highly entertaining Marvel series, one I want to rewatch, an animated show in which different characters and storylines from across the MCU are explored by looking at what would happen if something happened differently. For instance, the first episode looks at what would happen if Agent Carter, not Steve Rogers, was the First Avenger, the second (a bittersweet one) if T'Challa was a Star-Lord, and another alternate timeline has Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne inadvertently causing a zombie apocalypse.

Fear the Walking Dead: Season Five – I thought I would have been sick of this by now, so it's a credit to the writers that they have regularly changed the locations and characters in a way that feels natural (the titular zombies help by intermittently killing off important characters) so the cast evolves organically as the characters move around the country and encounter different threats.

Only Murders in the Building – one of my TV highlights from the last few months, a playful and comedic whodunnit with Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez as three strangers in an apartment building who don't believe another resident killed himself. Believing foul play, they conduct their own investigation and begin a podcast to share their progress with the world. It's very cleverly written, extremely well acted, and keeps you guessing as the investigation unfolds.

Solar Opposites: Season One – My brother recommended this to me and, after the first couple of episodes, I watched the rest out of a sense of duty and completion rather than enjoyment. A family of aliens living in suburban America is a promising concept but this isn't as entertaining as the similarly-themed Third Rock from the Sun, nor as inventive as Rick and Morty, a show which has a similar look and feel.

Worzel Gummidge: Series 2 – Thinking that further episodes would spoil his, I thought this should have been left after the first season and one-off 'Saucy Nancy' special, but I've been pleasantly surprised and proved wrong because the newest episodes have been as delightful as the first ones. Mackenzie Crook is a talented writer and performer with a rare talent for capturing the look and feel of an idealistic countryside and bringing it to the screen, with his turnip-headed scarecrow an excellent cipher for the children's adventures.

It's a Sin – Written by Russell T Davies and largely based on his own experiences of living in London during the 1980s as the HIV/AIDS crisis begins to unfold. As it mostly uses gay actors to play the gay characters, including Neil Patrick Harris and Stephen Fry, and is based on real people and events, it has a sense of authenticity and I was on the verge of tears at the end. It's a brilliant TV show which is funny, uplifting, infuriating, and devastating in equal measures.

Y: The Last Man: Season One – Based on the comic book series of the same name, this post-apocalyptic drama is set in the United States when every mammal with a Y chromosome has died at the same time. The mass death doesn't seem to have affected Yorick Brown and his pet capuchin monkey, Ampersand, with Yorick initially unaware of his unique status and then increasingly threatened by how precious he could be to the future of humanity. Meanwhile, the President has died and the entire line of succession has pretty much gone, leaving Jennifer Brown (Yorick's mother), the Chair of the House Intelligence Committee to be sworn in. On one hand, I want to read the comic books to compare them to TV show and see what the source material is like but, on the other, I have loads to read and am happy to wait for future seasons to appear on Disney+.

American Horror Story: 1984 (Season Nine) – This begins like a love letter to 1980's slasher films, particularly Friday the 13th, and begins 14 years previously with a serial killer murdering three camp counselors – and all the children at the camp – when the counselors are about to have a threesome. In (present day) 1984, the camp reopens and the new arrivals are told about Mr Jingles, the groundskeeper who committed those terrible murders. As with previous seasons, this was in danger of running out of steam about half way through before dramatically changing track to a very different story and reinventing itself. I loved the first part; the second half left me cold. Although I'll happily watch it for a second time, I would rather watch the first few again.

The Green Planet – Another triumph for the BBC Studios Natural History Unit and David Attenborough, this is a beautifully photographed and painstakingly filmed examination of the planet on which we live and our relationship with nature.

Anne – Based on the true story of Anne Williams, whose 15-year-old son died in the Hillsborough disaster, this four-part miniseries features a tour de force performance from Maxine Peake as the titular mother, wife, and campaigner in her journey from grieving mother to social justice campaigner over several decades. It's brilliant, powerful, and moving television, and you're unlikely to see many things better this year.

The Book of Boba Fett: Season One – This features several episodes which crossover with The Mandalorian and, to be honest, they are the best episodes. There are many references I don't understand because I didn't grow up watching Star Wars films, haven't seen all of the TV series, and haven't read the books or fan pages, so I'm not familiar with much of the mythology and detail. Some of this was genuinely good and exciting, other bits just didn't interest me all that much.

Marvel's Inhumans – This seems unusual for a Marvel TV series because it begins on the moon in the secret city of Attilan where inhumans – humanoids with superpowers – live in peace. When Maximus (Iwan Rheon, best known as Ramsay from Game of Thrones), a member of the Royal Family without any powers, stages a coup, the other family members teleport to earth where they find themselves separated in Hawaii. Perhaps the most unusual aspect of this is that Black Bolt, the hero, or at least the protagonist, doesn't speak – he has been gifted/cursed with a voice so powerful it would cause mass destruction so communicates using ASL. It's a show that takes a few episodes to really get going and I was left wanting more when it finished – always a good sign.

Runaways: Seasons One and Two – Another Marvel TV series and one which is both an easy way to relax before going to sleep and intricately written. The teenage characters are likeable, there's some familiar faces from Buffy and Alias, and there's a dinosaur! I'm now onto the third season and still enjoying it.

Toast of Tinseltown – Although it's not as good as Toast of London – it doesn't seem as consistently funny and almost as if the excesses, whether drinking, swearing, or sex, have been curbed. I'm not sure if that's to do with the production team or a sign of Stephen Toast mellowing with age. Although I didn't laugh as often as with the Toast of London episodes, there is still plenty here to like and some lines which had me laughing out loud.

The Tourist – Compelling viewing, this mystery/thriller is very binge-worthy (I watched it in two days), and I thought it was very well written and acted.

The Responder – Martin Freeman takes on a serious role and excels in this gritty (and often grim) story about a burnt out policeman gets involved with powerful local drug dealers when an old friend of his, a mid-level drug dealer, is relieved of £3000 worth of cocaine by a string out addict and his life depends on reclaiming the stash. The main character, Chris, is complicated and compromised – at no point is he a hero – and it was no surprise to me to find out that Tony Schumacher, who created and wrote the series, was formerly a police officer and used many of his own struggles when creating Chris and the people around him.

Around the World in 80 Days – I don't think it'll ever be considered a great piece of television, but it's an entertaining watch and I found the various characters and the obstacles Phileas Fogg and his travelling companions must overcome if he is to reach London on time. David Tennant is very good in the lead role, there is a really good supporting cast, and considering there must have been a number of Covid-19 restrictions to overcome to make the show, it looks as if it was filmed in a large number of countries from several continents. I'm not surprised it's been commissioned for a second series.

This Is Going to Hurt – Based on Adam Kay's bestselling book about life as a junior doctor and written by the author, this is very different from the book as it doesn't go in chronological order, beginning with Dr Kay as a house officer, but as acting registrar. It incorporates some of the more memorable cases from the book, though presents them in a different way, and is a much more holistic take on the working life of a junior doctor in the NHS. It's reassuring to know that things have changed since Dr Kay left the profession and doctors are no longer allowed to work the ridiculously long hours they did just over a decade ago.

Fear the Walking Dead: Season Six – See above, really. I enjoyed this as much as season five and will be catching up on season seven directly from FX or when it's available to watch for free on Prime.

Reacher – This is very different to the Tom Cruise films because it is much more violent and, in Alan Richson, has someone who looks like the titular character from Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. I like the films, but this was very well made and I hope a second season follows in a year or two.
Old 23rd February 2022, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I noticed I haven't put anything about what I've been watching on TV since December last year, so this is an update of everything I've watched since then:

Hanna: Season Two – I enjoyed the first season and this second one didn't disappoint. The show is well-written, directed, and acted, and is pretty involving with some good characters and dramatic tension.

Hawkeye – This works very well as a one-off, with a spinoff series focusing on one of the antagonists to follow. The Clint/Hawkeye is an interesting one because he is so damaged – both mentally and physically – and his rapport with a brilliant young archer, Kate (Hailee Steinfeld) and manages to be engaging in its own right and as a way of developing the story and characters from Avengers: Endgame.

What If…? – A highly entertaining Marvel series, one I want to rewatch, an animated show in which different characters and storylines from across the MCU are explored by looking at what would happen if something happened differently. For instance, the first episode looks at what would happen if Agent Carter, not Steve Rogers, was the First Avenger, the second (a bittersweet one) if T'Challa was a Star-Lord, and another alternate timeline has Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne inadvertently causing a zombie apocalypse.

Fear the Walking Dead: Season Five – I thought I would have been sick of this by now, so it's a credit to the writers that they have regularly changed the locations and characters in a way that feels natural (the titular zombies help by intermittently killing off important characters) so the cast evolves organically as the characters move around the country and encounter different threats.

Only Murders in the Building – one of my TV highlights from the last few months, a playful and comedic whodunnit with Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez as three strangers in an apartment building who don't believe another resident killed himself. Believing foul play, they conduct their own investigation and begin a podcast to share their progress with the world. It's very cleverly written, extremely well acted, and keeps you guessing as the investigation unfolds.

Solar Opposites: Season One – My brother recommended this to me and, after the first couple of episodes, I watched the rest out of a sense of duty and completion rather than enjoyment. A family of aliens living in suburban America is a promising concept but this isn't as entertaining as the similarly-themed Third Rock from the Sun, nor as inventive as Rick and Morty, a show which has a similar look and feel.

Worzel Gummidge: Series 2 – Thinking that further episodes would spoil his, I thought this should have been left after the first season and one-off 'Saucy Nancy' special, but I've been pleasantly surprised and proved wrong because the newest episodes have been as delightful as the first ones. Mackenzie Crook is a talented writer and performer with a rare talent for capturing the look and feel of an idealistic countryside and bringing it to the screen, with his turnip-headed scarecrow an excellent cipher for the children's adventures.

It's a Sin – Written by Russell T Davies and largely based on his own experiences of living in London during the 1980s as the HIV/AIDS crisis begins to unfold. As it mostly uses gay actors to play the gay characters, including Neil Patrick Harris and Stephen Fry, and is based on real people and events, it has a sense of authenticity and I was on the verge of tears at the end. It's a brilliant TV show which is funny, uplifting, infuriating, and devastating in equal measures.

Y: The Last Man: Season One – Based on the comic book series of the same name, this post-apocalyptic drama is set in the United States when every mammal with a Y chromosome has died at the same time. The mass death doesn't seem to have affected Yorick Brown and his pet capuchin monkey, Ampersand, with Yorick initially unaware of his unique status and then increasingly threatened by how precious he could be to the future of humanity. Meanwhile, the President has died and the entire line of succession has pretty much gone, leaving Jennifer Brown (Yorick's mother), the Chair of the House Intelligence Committee to be sworn in. On one hand, I want to read the comic books to compare them to TV show and see what the source material is like but, on the other, I have loads to read and am happy to wait for future seasons to appear on Disney+.

American Horror Story: 1984 (Season Nine) – This begins like a love letter to 1980's slasher films, particularly Friday the 13th, and begins 14 years previously with a serial killer murdering three camp counselors – and all the children at the camp – when the counselors are about to have a threesome. In (present day) 1984, the camp reopens and the new arrivals are told about Mr Jingles, the groundskeeper who committed those terrible murders. As with previous seasons, this was in danger of running out of steam about half way through before dramatically changing track to a very different story and reinventing itself. I loved the first part; the second half left me cold. Although I'll happily watch it for a second time, I would rather watch the first few again.

The Green Planet – Another triumph for the BBC Studios Natural History Unit and David Attenborough, this is a beautifully photographed and painstakingly filmed examination of the planet on which we live and our relationship with nature.

Anne – Based on the true story of Anne Williams, whose 15-year-old son died in the Hillsborough disaster, this four-part miniseries features a tour de force performance from Maxine Peake as the titular mother, wife, and campaigner in her journey from grieving mother to social justice campaigner over several decades. It's brilliant, powerful, and moving television, and you're unlikely to see many things better this year.

The Book of Boba Fett: Season One – This features several episodes which crossover with The Mandalorian and, to be honest, they are the best episodes. There are many references I don't understand because I didn't grow up watching Star Wars films, haven't seen all of the TV series, and haven't read the books or fan pages, so I'm not familiar with much of the mythology and detail. Some of this was genuinely good and exciting, other bits just didn't interest me all that much.

Marvel's Inhumans – This seems unusual for a Marvel TV series because it begins on the moon in the secret city of Attilan where inhumans – humanoids with superpowers – live in peace. When Maximus (Iwan Rheon, best known as Ramsay from Game of Thrones), a member of the Royal Family without any powers, stages a coup, the other family members teleport to earth where they find themselves separated in Hawaii. Perhaps the most unusual aspect of this is that Black Bolt, the hero, or at least the protagonist, doesn't speak – he has been gifted/cursed with a voice so powerful it would cause mass destruction so communicates using ASL. It's a show that takes a few episodes to really get going and I was left wanting more when it finished – always a good sign.

Runaways: Seasons One and Two – Another Marvel TV series and one which is both an easy way to relax before going to sleep and intricately written. The teenage characters are likeable, there's some familiar faces from Buffy and Alias, and there's a dinosaur! I'm now onto the third season and still enjoying it.

Toast of Tinseltown – Although it's not as good as Toast of London – it doesn't seem as consistently funny and almost as if the excesses, whether drinking, swearing, or sex, have been curbed. I'm not sure if that's to do with the production team or a sign of Stephen Toast mellowing with age. Although I didn't laugh as often as with the Toast of London episodes, there is still plenty here to like and some lines which had me laughing out loud.

The Tourist – Compelling viewing, this mystery/thriller is very binge-worthy (I watched it in two days), and I thought it was very well written and acted.

The Responder – Martin Freeman takes on a serious role and excels in this gritty (and often grim) story about a burnt out policeman gets involved with powerful local drug dealers when an old friend of his, a mid-level drug dealer, is relieved of £3000 worth of cocaine by a string out addict and his life depends on reclaiming the stash. The main character, Chris, is complicated and compromised – at no point is he a hero – and it was no surprise to me to find out that Tony Schumacher, who created and wrote the series, was formerly a police officer and used many of his own struggles when creating Chris and the people around him.

Around the World in 80 Days – I don't think it'll ever be considered a great piece of television, but it's an entertaining watch and I found the various characters and the obstacles Phileas Fogg and his travelling companions must overcome if he is to reach London on time. David Tennant is very good in the lead role, there is a really good supporting cast, and considering there must have been a number of Covid-19 restrictions to overcome to make the show, it looks as if it was filmed in a large number of countries from several continents. I'm not surprised it's been commissioned for a second series.

This Is Going to Hurt – Based on Adam Kay's bestselling book about life as a junior doctor and written by the author, this is very different from the book as it doesn't go in chronological order, beginning with Dr Kay as a house officer, but as acting registrar. It incorporates some of the more memorable cases from the book, though presents them in a different way, and is a much more holistic take on the working life of a junior doctor in the NHS. It's reassuring to know that things have changed since Dr Kay left the profession and doctors are no longer allowed to work the ridiculously long hours they did just over a decade ago.

Fear the Walking Dead: Season Six – See above, really. I enjoyed this as much as season five and will be catching up on season seven directly from FX or when it's available to watch for free on Prime.

Reacher – This is very different to the Tom Cruise films because it is much more violent and, in Alan Richson, has someone who looks like the titular character from Lee Child's Jack Reacher books. I like the films, but this was very well made and I hope a second season follows in a year or two.

Sure y the last man has been canceled I found it awful but loved murders in the building and thought Hawkeye was the best marvel Disney show by far.

Yep it's been cancelled, sure it was announced before the show even ended.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/y-the-l...fx-1234857400/

Also inhumans was also cancelled think it's the lowest rated marvel show. Reacher has already getting a second season. Great show.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 24th February 2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 24th February 2022, 08:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Sure y the last man has been canceled I found it awful but loved murders in the building and thought Hawkeye was the best marvel Disney show by far.

Yep it's been cancelled, sure it was announced before the show even ended.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/y-the-l...fx-1234857400/

Also inhumans was also cancelled think it's the lowest rated marvel show. Reacher has already getting a second season. Great show.
I thought Y: The Last Man had a lot of promise, so it's a shame it's been axed already.
Old 28th February 2022, 06:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Two Ronnies: The Phantom Raspberry Of Old London Tower

Came across this on YouTube all episodes together, made in the 70s but saw it in the 80s growing up and quite a good parody of Jack The Ripper written by Spike Milligan. Barker and Corbett playing the police Corner of the Yard and Sergeant Bowels (pronounced Balls) along with playing other characters, Barker plays the town Mayor who adds in his own echo when he speaks and Corbett able to pull off being Queen Victoria. Re-watching this I still had tears of laughter.

The_Phantom_Raspberry_Blower_of_Old_London_Town.jpg
Old 28th February 2022, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Started watching the second series of Yes Minister again. So funny.

In a way the truly terrible thing about it is that it totally stands up today because absolutely nothing whatsoever in government has changed since it was made in the seventies.

I also rewatched the first hour long episode of Oliver Twist, thanks to Justin's recent purchase reminding me about it seeing as i've rewatched Little Dorrit and Great Expectations.

Very enjoyable with some surprising scenes, such as Tom Hardy's Bill Sykes knocking the Artful Dodger out cold with one punch. Timothy Spall isn't as good a Fagin as Anton Lesser in Dickensian.
Old 1st March 2022, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran

I started Oliver Twist this evening too, I was also surprised by how dark it is, considering my only other exposure to the text is from the musical Oliver! which I do really like naturally

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st March 2022, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I started Oliver Twist this evening too, I was also surprised by how dark it is, considering my only other exposure to the text is from the musical Oliver! which I do really like naturally
Finished it off tonight with episodes 2-5. Very good. Gets even darker.
Justin101, Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 14th March 2022, 01:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is an American period comedy-drama streaming television series, created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, that premiered on March 17, 2017, on Amazon Prime Video. Set in the late 1950s and early 1960s, it stars Rachel Brosnahan as Miriam "Midge" Maisel, a New York housewife who discovers she has a knack for stand-up comedy and pursues a career in it. It also stars Alex Borstein, Michael Zegen, Marin Hinkle, Tony Shalhoub, Kevin Pollak, Caroline Aaron, Jane Lynch and Luke Kirby.

it doesn't seem that long ago that I was watching the first season of this on Prime Video and I have nearly finished the third season. I have really enjoyed every episode because of its clever blend of comedy and drama and the way it hits on both fronts – it's genuinely funny and works as a dramatisation of life in the US circa 1960.

It is extremely well-written with sharp dialogue between the characters, the exchanges between Midge (Rachel Brosnahan), her manager, Susie (Alex Borstein, probably best known as voicing Family Guy's Lois Griffin), her parents, Abe and Rose (Tony Shalhoub and Marin Hinkle), and her husband, Joel (Michael Zegen) are sometimes very funny with brilliant timing.

Midge's stand-up routines vary between being genuinely funny and a clever look at what is culturally and legally acceptable in American society 60 years ago, with comedians (like Lennie Bruce) routinely being arrested for saying things which are, by today's standards, far from obscene or transgressive. As most of her material comes from her every daily life, it's also an interesting look at a Jewish family, Jewish customs and, like Mad Men, a woman's place in a very male-dominated world.

After watching the last two episodes in the third season I'll probably go straight onto the fourth.
Old 14th March 2022, 01:30 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
From Wikipedia:

it doesn't seem that long ago that I was watching the first season of this on Prime Video and I have nearly finished the third season. I have really enjoyed every episode because of its clever blend of comedy and drama and the way it hits on both fronts – it's genuinely funny and works as a dramatisation of life in the US circa 1960.

It is extremely well-written with sharp dialogue between the characters, the exchanges between Midge (Rachel Brosnahan), her manager, Susie (Alex Borstein, probably best known as voicing Family Guy's Lois Griffin), her parents, Abe and Rose (Tony Shalhoub and Marin Hinkle), and her husband, Joel (Michael Zegen) are sometimes very funny with brilliant timing.

Midge's stand-up routines vary between being genuinely funny and a clever look at what is culturally and legally acceptable in American society 60 years ago, with comedians (like Lennie Bruce) routinely being arrested for saying things which are, by today's standards, far from obscene or transgressive. As most of her material comes from her every daily life, it's also an interesting look at a Jewish family, Jewish customs and, like Mad Men, a woman's place in a very male-dominated world.

After watching the last two episodes in the third season I'll probably go straight onto the fourth.
I've recently watched all 4 seasons after my friends recommending it to me for the last 3 years! I have to say I loved it, one of my favourite shows, the writing is very witty and I could listen to Midge talking all the time.

I especially loved the string of episodes, season 3 I think, in the Catskills, really amusing writing.

Not sure if you're familar Nos, but the showrunners are most famous for Gilmore Girls, which is another fast paced dialogue show, although not set in a period, it's contemporary early 00's in Connecticut.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!